A&H

Down to 6 players, 7th is sitting on the pitch

alternation

Level 7 Referee
Had an interesting debate last night at our meeting.

A scenario was presented where a team has been reduced to 7 players and has used all of their subs. One of their players becomes injured and decides to sit down for the rest of the game. What does the referee do?

The overwhelming response was 'play on', but this seems strange to me. I've tried finding something in the laws that covers this but it seems a bit bare. I think in law, my colleagues are right but it just seems a bit farcical and unsafe for the injured player. For example, if we continue this line of thought and the team have another 3 injuries, they would have 4 players sitting on the field and 3 playing until the end.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

The Referee Store
If a team have 7 players on and 1 leaves through injury it's game over, any less than 6 players and you abandon the game.

On my course in April they said that you should abandon the match but it is not essential. The example they gave for not abandoning it was a team is down to seven players and in the last minute a penalty is given away, the offence meriting a red card - in this case you should not abandon the match.

With regards to this incident, they are still active players, and so you cannot abandon the match. In the same way that you cannot tell players how to play or where to stand (other than for free kicks/penalties). For me, I would have spoken to the captain and if he continued to persist then you would have to play on.

If he is on the pitch then you can't abandon the game, because they have the requisite number of players.

At the next break in play, treat like you would any other injured player, if the coach withdraws him from the game then they can no longer field a 'full team' and match is abandoned.

If he is on the pitch then you can't abandon the game, because they have the requisite number of players.

At the next break in play, treat like you would any other injured player, if the coach withdraws him from the game then they can no longer field a 'full team' and match is abandoned.
I just hope that this is the closest I'll ever get to that situation!

My initial thoughts were on the wording in Law 5 where it states that if a player is seriously injured, the referee must ensure that he is removed from the field of play (para-phrased).

If a player cannot stand up, can we deem this a serious injury? Are there any FIFA guidelines on judging injuries as serious?

THe thing is, hypothetically, if an injured player is sitting down to ensure that the game finishes but cannot move out of the way of a ball that strikes him on the back of the head, or worse, players that could collide with him, surely this is a failure by the referee in ensuring the safety of the players?

On my course in April they said that you should abandon the match but it is not essential. The example they gave for not abandoning it was a team is down to seven players and in the last minute a penalty is given away, the offence meriting a red card - in this case you should not abandon the match.
Hmm, never heard that before, but I will always abandon if a team falls below the required number of players.

Okay, consider this:

A team is down to seven players, but one gets injured so they have to be treated. They are fit to carry on but as per the law they have to lead the field temporarily. Even though he would come straight back on once the ball was in play, there would be a period where there would be only 6 players. Would you abandon the game then?

Okay, consider this:

A team is down to seven players, but one gets injured so they have to be treated. They are fit to carry on but as per the law they have to lead the field temporarily. Even though he would come straight back on once the ball was in play, there would be a period where there would be only 6 players. Would you abandon the game then?
This is a different example to the first one you posted. Here, no I wouldn't abandon because he would be returning to the fop. In the first example, I would show the red card then abandon. It is not up to us to 'bend' the laws.

agree entirely with Reffariiii. Let him wander off, wave him back on, start as per LOTG as usual, whether that be the throw, goal kick, free kick or whatever you asked to hold up for treatment to be issued, or a drop ball if ball was in play when you stopped. If he wants to sit on the halfway line and make sure they have seven that's his business, although i'd be wary with a head injury. As for the red card/last minute example; this is clear cut in my view. I don't care what minute it is, if the team has had five players dismissed, or didn't start with a full team or has been unlucky enough to have so many injuries (or any combination thereof) that they have six on the field, the game must be abandoned. Its not our job to decide what circumstances the LOTG don't apply! They always apply.

All good answers, and yes, I agree that if the 'injured' player is asked to leave the FOP for treatment, then he is still an 'active' player until such time as he is withdrawn from the game. (We are instrusted that the player can be assessed on the FOP, but has to be treated OFF. So player down, we ask 'are you ok? Do you need treatment?' leave it to the player to make the choice - I am no medic, and I don't know what he is feeling)

Other points beg the question that if a team are down to 7 players, are losing, and in the final minute the defender INTENTIONALLY commits DOGSO with the purpose of abandoning the game would you send him? (Over here, if a game is abandoned so late, then the result would probably stand anyway)

Having to abandon due to team having less than 7 players on the pitch would probably attact charges and fines from ther county FA?

So what are each of you guys giving if a team is down to 7 and a player gets injured and decides to sit ON the field of play for the rest of the game?

So what are each of you guys giving if a team is down to 7 and a player gets injured and decides to sit ON the field of play for the rest of the game?
Not an option is it?

If he's down injured, play is stopped and trainer allowed to assess injury. If treatment required he leaves FOP as discussed earlier.

If he is withdrawn from game due to said injury, then match abandoned, but until I get told that he is withdrawn, game goes on.

Back