A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Proper warm-up for referees

A proper warm-up for referees is needed for both training sessions in games. It will improve your performance and reduces your risk of injury. The blog post is based on lessons I followed as a referee and notes I took. Physical effects of a warm-up The physical effects of a proper warm-up for referees are: […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
25 minutes seems a bit excessive for a warm up.

10-15 is more suitable I think. I can always get a jog around the pitch, followed by dynamic stretching and running exercises done in that time-frame.

And... well, at grassroots I think 90% of referees don't bother with the warm up. I detest getting paired with a refereeing team that doesn't do warm ups or only does old-school stretches (good for getting more injuries, not much else). I got assigned a final where the referee's warm up was to stand outside chatting to us until it was time to go back inside again. Only thing warmed up was his mouth and our ears. I really struggled for the first ten minutes of that match. :cry:

I agree Rob, I'm often at QPR early and pretty sure the officials' warm up isn't 25 minutes!

Blimey I'd be no good to man nor beast after 25 mins!;)

Just to add 'standard' warm up as a 3 person team at my level seems to be jog round pitch, few stretches and then a few shuttles.I sometimes add a 3 pace run across the pitch and back if I'm on my own or others want to do it.

Definitely more aches and pains the following day if no warm up - even as an AR.

I only ever warm up for show. If nobody is looking, I'll have another cup of tea instead

Reactions: GPW
Back