A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 10 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022

Week 10 Laws of the Game Quiz 2021-2022. Video for question 1 The next quiz will be published next Tuesday. You can always practise previous quizzes on this overview page. And after submitting your answers, you can see the correct answers immediately. Quiz Laden…

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
An action which creates danger for anyone (including the player taking the action) is an offence, as per Law 12.
A player can foul a team-mate, e.g. gets angry and thumps the team-mate while the ball is in play.
Kicking the ball while your goalkeeper has it is indeed stupid, but no more so than other actions which have started threads on here!

An action which creates danger for anyone (including the player taking the action) is an offence, as per Law 12.
A player can foul a team-mate, e.g. gets angry and thumps the team-mate while the ball is in play.
Kicking the ball while your goalkeeper has it is indeed stupid, but no more so than other actions which have started threads on here!
Does it prevent a nearby opponent from playing the ball through fear of injury? A key part of PIADM.

Disagree on several points. Most notably, while the word foul has regrettably fallen into disuse, I think the distinction remains: a player may only foul an opponent, but may commit misconduct against an opponent. Thumping a teammate cannot be a striking foul. But it can be misconduct (USB or VC).

I agree that PIADM can be predicated on danger to oneself or a teammate, but to be an offense (unless it rises to the level of misconduct), it has to unfairly impact an opponent. And it's not possible in the scenario in the question, as the the opponent of the GK is precluded from playing the ball--until the knucklehead kicks it away from his GK. That is not a PIADM offense. Is anyone seriously going to give the opponent a FK because an over-enthusiastic full back kicks the ball away from his own GK?

Does it prevent a nearby opponent from playing the ball through fear of injury? A key part of PIADM.
Another example of the tidying by IFAB causing a discussion - law states "playing in a dangerous manner" is the ifk offence, then later in the text it adds in a rider that PIADM includes the bit about the opponent. Some may read that as a requirement but I'm not sure that is what is intended.

Disagree on several points. Most notably, while the word foul has regrettably fallen into disuse, I think the distinction remains: a player may only foul an opponent, but may commit misconduct against an opponent. Thumping a teammate cannot be a striking foul. But it can be misconduct (USB or VC).

I agree that PIADM can be predicated on danger to oneself or a teammate, but to be an offense (unless it rises to the level of misconduct), it has to unfairly impact an opponent. And it's not possible in the scenario in the question, as the the opponent of the GK is precluded from playing the ball--until the knucklehead kicks it away from his GK. That is not a PIADM offense. Is anyone seriously going to give the opponent a FK because an over-enthusiastic full back kicks the ball away from his own GK?
My reply to James covers the "opponent" question.
I share your view that this scenario is extremely unlikely (may happen in youth football with excitable players)
Take your point on "foul" as opposed to misconduct, but for example spitting at a team-mate is a dfk/penalty and dismissal.

Back