A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 28 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

The Referee Store
Good questions. Some additional information given that could mislead there read as to a condition of the correct answers.

Q1. The answer does not change even if the referee has not dealt with fouls in the first half with correct sanctions.
Q3. The answer does not change even if the substitute has entered the field of play as the substitution procedure is still not complete.
Q4. The answer does not change even if the ball is handled inside the goal area.

Good questions. Some additional information given that could mislead there read as to a condition of the correct answers.

Q1. The answer does not change even if the referee has not dealt with fouls in the first half with correct sanctions.
This gives context for why the incident occurs, and is a factor that many referees may reasonably think to consider, whether or not it is correct to consider it.
Q3. The answer does not change even if the substitute has entered the field of play as the substitution procedure is still not complete.
Again, many referees are of the belief that the substitution occurs at this time. It is reasonable to mention this in light of avoiding any confusion in what the correct outcome here should be.
Q4. The answer does not change even if the ball is handled inside the goal area.
And again, many referees think it does, and therefore getting this wrong points them to the information they need to read.

The point of a quiz should not be to describe a situation in a way identical to that used in law (terminology is not a situation itself) so that perfect lawyers can ace it. It's to present events that may occur with points that are common when they do and which may affect referees' thinking at the time, so that referees recognise what factors do affect each of various outcomes.

When you say, many referees, are you suggesting many referees do not understand two yellows equals red equals player less?
Barring Graham Poll, before someone else says it?

and, are you saying maybe referees do not realise deliberate handball by a defender anywhere in the penalty area is a penalty kick?

Seems strange and I would have suggested few, very few referees would think otherwise, be interested to get facts and figures, as both situations are quite straightforward

When you say, many referees, are you suggesting many referees do not understand two yellows equals red equals player less?
Barring Graham Poll, before someone else says it?

and, are you saying maybe referees do not realise deliberate handball by a defender anywhere in the penalty area is a penalty kick?

Seems strange and I would have suggested few, very few referees would think otherwise, be interested to get facts and figures, as both situations are quite straightforward
It hasn't left the six yard box, so the goal kick is taken again.
The attacker was still inside the box, so he gets cautioned and it's taken again.
If the sub has stepped onto the field, the sub has happened and you can't caution them.
The sub is allowed to walk off at halfway.
The manager is the only one allowed to ask the referee about things.
Especially if they think the decisions were wrong.
You find a brand new referee that doesn't have a single misconception about the law at all, and you'll have the next triple-promotion candidate in front of you. Get their signature now, it'll be worth lots when they finish their third consecutive World Cup final.

It hasn't left the six yard box, so the goal kick is taken again.
The attacker was still inside the box, so he gets cautioned and it's taken again.
If the sub has stepped onto the field, the sub has happened and you can't caution them.
The sub is allowed to walk off at halfway.
The manager is the only one allowed to ask the referee about things.
Especially if they think the decisions were wrong.
You find a brand new referee that doesn't have a single misconception about the law at all, and you'll have the next triple-promotion candidate in front of you. Get their signature now, it'll be worth lots when they finish their third consecutive World Cup final.

Nobody doubting not everybody, from me to you to anyone, will get every law correct everytime.
It was the reference to, many referees.
From my knowledge and experience, I would say its a total reverse, much truer to say, a few referees.
I would go further and suggest that a brand new referee might even have more chance of knowing these answers as a mature referee, as for some, it is all they will know.
Unlike some of us who need to quickly play back 30 years of changes before making our call, they only know the one outcome, the current correct one,

i be very surprised to hear from any referee, never mind many, who are not aware two yellows equals a red.

This gives context for why the incident occurs, and is a factor that many referees may reasonably think to consider, whether or not it is correct to consider it.

Again, many referees are of the belief that the substitution occurs at this time. It is reasonable to mention this in light of avoiding any confusion in what the correct outcome here should be.

And again, many referees think it does, and therefore getting this wrong points them to the information they need to read.

The point of a quiz should not be to describe a situation in a way identical to that used in law (terminology is not a situation itself) so that perfect lawyers can ace it. It's to present events that may occur with points that are common when they do and which may affect referees' thinking at the time, so that referees recognise what factors do affect each of various outcomes.
I would double like your post if this was a game management quiz. It is not. It a LOTG quiz. As the title says it. It's a quiz on testing how well you know the laws of the game and not how well you can manage a game.

The point is mixing things which 'are not correct to consider' in a LOTG quiz will give the impression that they are correct to consider and part of the LOTG. It backfires for those who learn the LOTG by doing these quizzes and don't read the laws much.

While there are many myths out there, the quiz can perpetuate them if if a reader can think it is part of why the answer is correct. For example, a reader may come away from the question on the send-off thinking that the reason the send-off was proper is that the sub had not stepped on the field rather than that the send-off was required because the substitution process was not completed. (The fact the player to be subbed for is still on the field establishes that the procedure was not complete, so whether the sub stepped on the field is wholly irrelevant.) So instead of learning something about the LOTG, the reader would come away thinking if the sub had improperly stepped onto the field, then the sub was completed. The explanation would seem to support that misunderstanding.

Side note: this is another place where the LOTG are not clearly written, as just reading the Laws could leave the impression that the sub stepping on made the sub complete regardless of whether the player had left. As I recall, FIFA or IFAB has made clear that to complete the sub, the sub has to properly enter the field (i.e. with the referee's permission and after the player has left).

Law 3 does state the substitute may not enter the field of play until the player has left the field, then goes on to confirm the point at which the substitution is completed. This originally arose because a manager wanted to change the substitute (e.g. to bring on 14 instead if 12) as the outgoing player was leaving the f.o.p. and there was a debate as to whether he could.

Nobody doubting not everybody, from me to you to anyone, will get every law correct everytime.
It was the reference to, many referees.
From my knowledge and experience, I would say its a total reverse, much truer to say, a few referees.
I would go further and suggest that a brand new referee might even have more chance of knowing these answers as a mature referee, as for some, it is all they will know.
Unlike some of us who need to quickly play back 30 years of changes before making our call, they only know the one outcome, the current correct one,

i be very surprised to hear from any referee, never mind many, who are not aware two yellows equals a red.
I'd be even more surprised to find where anybody in this thread except you has mentioned that two cautions is anything other than dismissal, but I expect I'll be waiting a long time.

Back