A&H

Dynamo Kiev v Brentford (Friendly, on Youtube)

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
So I watched the Brentford game against Dynamo Kiev on YouTube and spotted something's that, if it were a league game, would have been punished - or at least, in my opinion, should have been punished.

I noticed the referee throughout looked so withdrawn and disinterested and at times barely made it out the centre circle despite the ball and defender and attacker being on edge of areas, this could not have given him any credible decision making.

I get it is pre-season but you'd still expect a bit better from officials.

All videos I'm about to post were screen grabbing direct of YouTube. Recommend to turn volume down/off - it is in Russian.

First, 52nd minute, Brentford player gets ball to the corner where the Kiev player dives in. If contact made with player properly it could have been bad for him. Only a throw in though.

In the 57th minute, after a Brentford player fouls a Kiev player by falling backwards and what looks like maybe grabbing the players legs to stop him going, the Kiev player then, with the referee looking at him (see live play before the replay) kicks, using both feet, the back off the Brentford player.

Then in the 87th minute, with a very good stop/challenge by the Brentford player, the Kiev player goes down holding his ankle and play goes down the other end with Brentford attacking. The ball goes wide right and with Brentford looking to whip a cross in, he blows for the injured player who is now sitting up, still holding his ankle. So no head injury or serious injury to warrant stopping like he did.
Now, this is not the main worry, as it is a friendly. It is the re-start.
Considering he has been playing the new laws throughout, I don't quite understand why he gave the drop ball to Kiev when Brentford had possession who kicked it back to Brentford but in a less promising position. Again, I know its a friendly and its more about fitness, but surely the players want to learn the laws too so that they are not conflicted when league commences.

The Referee Store
The new drop ball one is going to take some getting used to as teams are so used to just kicking the ball back to opposition.

I know you’re supposed to give the ball back to the team that had it when stoppage was made but do you give it back in same area, obviously the stoppage will allow defending team to get back into position as well.

The two footed tackle is a tough sell as no contact at all made with the player.
You may want to look that again and how the defender's trailing leg cleans the back foot of the attacker. Pay close attention to the direction of the attacker's back foot movement.
Surely if there is no contact the attacker iwould not get up ended and land on his backside the way he did.

Last edited:
I know you’re supposed to give the ball back to the team that had it when stoppage was made but do you give it back in same area
Yes, you absolutely do. I take it you've read the new laws? If so, it could hardly be clearer:
... the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official
The new drop ball one is going to take some getting used to as teams are so used to just kicking the ball back to opposition.
We've talked about how it might take time for the teams to adjust to this but there's no excuse for the referee just getting it totally wrong and dropping the ball for the wrong team.

First challenge was indeed a naughty one. Combination of contact with the ball and the fact that it is a friendly means I would lean towards a yellow.

Second one totally understandable as blind side / far away from all 3 officials and the referee is concentrating on playing what was an excellent advantage. Only chance would be if there was a 4th official

Third one, stopping the game once the Brentford attack stalls is acceptable for me. Using the old drop ball procedure is disappointing though.

First challenge was indeed a naughty one. Combination of contact with the ball and the fact that it is a friendly means I would lean towards a yellow.

Didn't even give a free kick.
Throw in awarded.

Second one totally understandable as blind side / far away from all 3 officials and the referee is concentrating on playing what was an excellent advantage. Only chance would be if there was a 4th official.

Not quite sure on blind side.
Do get your thinking, but I think he could see it.
Screenshot_20190714-140537.png

Third one, stopping the game once the Brentford attack stalls is acceptable for me. Using the old drop ball procedure is disappointing though.

That was the more astonishing part for me.

His positioning throughout didn't fill me with confidence in him, and questionable decisions.. Was it the best local ref used (was in Austria)? For a game of the two teams involved, you'd have thought a higher level ref would have been requested.

Understand your point of view but think you're being overly harsh. Pre season games are also an opportunity for referees to prepare for the season ahead and to adjust to any new laws. Sure the official will be very disappointed with the drop ball (though hardly game changing!) and on reflection feel he was too lenient with the challenge in the corner. But it can happen.

With regard to the level of the referee, it can (to some extent) also happen that officials take charge of pre season matches above their pay grade. As it happens, I recently reffed a game featuring two teams who I'm unlikely to be in the middle for this coming season. There was one occasion when the ball hit me from close range in the middle of the park .. flashed through my mind that it might be a drop ball but wasn't quickly clear whether possession had changed hands so I ignored it and played on :)

So I watched the Brentford game against Dynamo Kiev on YouTube and spotted something's that, if it were a league game, would have been punished - or at least, in my opinion, should have been punished.

I noticed the referee throughout looked so withdrawn and disinterested and at times barely made it out the centre circle despite the ball and defender and attacker being on edge of areas, this could not have given him any credible decision making.

I get it is pre-season but you'd still expect a bit better from officials.

All videos I'm about to post were screen grabbing direct of YouTube. Recommend to turn volume down/off - it is in Russian.

First, 52nd minute, Brentford player gets ball to the corner where the Kiev player dives in. If contact made with player properly it could have been bad for him. Only a throw in though.

In the 57th minute, after a Brentford player fouls a Kiev player by falling backwards and what looks like maybe grabbing the players legs to stop him going, the Kiev player then, with the referee looking at him (see live play before the replay) kicks, using both feet, the back off the Brentford player.

Then in the 87th minute, with a very good stop/challenge by the Brentford player, the Kiev player goes down holding his ankle and play goes down the other end with Brentford attacking. The ball goes wide right and with Brentford looking to whip a cross in, he blows for the injured player who is now sitting up, still holding his ankle. So no head injury or serious injury to warrant stopping like he did.
Now, this is not the main worry, as it is a friendly. It is the re-start.
Considering he has been playing the new laws throughout, I don't quite understand why he gave the drop ball to Kiev when Brentford had possession who kicked it back to Brentford but in a less promising position. Again, I know its a friendly and its more about fitness, but surely the players want to learn the laws too so that they are not conflicted when league commences.

Good to see someone watching football that doesn't involve Champions League teams. Keep up the good work!

You may want to look that again and how the defender's trailing leg cleans the back foot of the attacker. Pay close attention to the direction of the attacker's back foot movement.
Surely if there is no contact the attacker iwould not get up ended and land on his backside the way he did.

Only seen it on phone so not a great view, after seeing it on PC its a clear red card.

Back