A&H

Ear ringing

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I whistled once relatively loudly today (just to signal a free kick being taken) which really bloody hurt my left ear which then rung for a second or two. Any tips to prevent damaging my ears when whistling??

Always been cautious of whistling too loudly for the captains before kick off, because of this reason, although I’ve never hurt it or made my ears ring before today

The Referee Store
For context, I use a Fox Blast. I think that’s what it’s called - it’s the one with the rubber bit around the end of the whistle

Hi Alex, sorry for your loss!! ;) Don't blow it at full puff, use shorter blasts, its not hard to lessen any impact!

Yes, I have tinnitus from years in rock bands that comes and goes. After a blasty afternoon with the Valkeen the locust plague comes on like a seventh sense!

AFAIK there is no cure for tinnitus, you just have to manage it. Just be very careful with your ears e.g. don’t get them cleaned out because all that natural wax is there for a reason;)

I whistled once relatively loudly today (just to signal a free kick being taken) which really bloody hurt my left ear which then rung for a second or two. Any tips to prevent damaging my ears when whistling??

Always been cautious of whistling too loudly for the captains before kick off, because of this reason, although I’ve never hurt it or made my ears ring before today
Sorry. What did you say?

Back