A&H

Early season's end

Mintyref

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
After visiting my physio this afternoon it seems my season is already over.
Three matches; two calf pulls and a recurrence of a shoulder problem early December has put paid to my whistling for the season.

I was hoping to get back on the horse next month as I've recommenced my running up to a steady 10k. I suggested a couple of youth matches next month but he reckons there is a high risk of further calf pulls as I have not yet had opportunity to strengthen it to take the stopping, starting and changes of direction needed on the FOP.

Really wish I'd not taken last season out for XC running, I could have probably done both!

Only one word for it.......buggar!

The Referee Store
Good luck with your recovery. If you weak calves maybe try some compression socks and your normal socks. I wear them all the time for running and if my calves are playing up I wear them for refffing. OK in winter bit uncomfortable in warmer months.

Good luck with your recovery. If you weak calves maybe try some compression socks and your normal socks. I wear them all the time for running and if my calves are playing up I wear them for refffing. OK in winter bit uncomfortable in warmer months.

Way ahead of you Martin!,

I got bought a couple of pairs of calf running socks and have worn them under my refs socks and find them pretty good, not sure if they would help but worth a try?

After visiting my physio this afternoon it seems my season is already over.
Three matches; two calf pulls and a recurrence of a shoulder problem early December has put paid to my whistling for the season.

I was hoping to get back on the horse next month as I've recommenced my running up to a steady 10k. I suggested a couple of youth matches next month but he reckons there is a high risk of further calf pulls as I have not yet had opportunity to strengthen it to take the stopping, starting and changes of direction needed on the FOP.

Really wish I'd not taken last season out for XC running, I could have probably done both!

Only one word for it.......buggar!
Sorry to hear that. What bit of the shoulder did you do? I did the Rhombus major (birthday climbing center trip - argh) all the way back in October and I think I have finally fixed it - really only got it together over the last 6 weeks with weekly massage, 2-3 swims, lots of protein... before I was carrying on "as normal" and it just wouldn't heal...
And compression socks for calves after all activities have helped me loads: http://zpcompression.com/shop/men-compression/mens-hybrid/

(EDIT: sorry didn't see the calf guards - I use compression calves as well under socks sometimes if it is very cold)

Rotator cuff injury, recently had an ultrasound scan identifying a small tear (if it was "small" why did it hurt so bloody much?) and fluid and one cortisone injection later Its like the injury was never there!

Rotator cuff injury, recently had an ultrasound scan identifying a small tear (if it was "small" why did it hurt so bloody much?) and fluid and one cortisone injection later Its like the injury was never there!
Oh that sounds very unpleasant. Sorry to hear that.

Back