A&H

England 2 - 1 Turkey

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Interesting.
Lucky penalty after Vardy's dive (again) - missed!!
Extremely lucky first goal from an offside Kane and that clown (Hart) proving once again what a liability he is between the sticks.
I know England were missing one or two players but as usual, they haven't filled me with confidence that they can progress beyond the last 16 of the Euros..... :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
You say Kane was offside. He was in an offside position at the precise moment Alli plays the ball forward, with the left back (I think) sprinting back, a quarter of a second after Alli plays the ball Kane is in an onside position. No assistant is ever going to get that offside unless they guess.

Incidentally, this was the first game (as far as I am aware) played under the 2016-17 Laws of the Game. I was wondering if the yellow card for the Turkish defender who conceded the penalty was an example of a referee (mis)applying the new DOGSO criteria since - if there was a foul (and the ref decided that there was) it could only have been for holding/pushing and the defender did not attempt to play the ball. Of course it could have been that he didn't judge it to be DOGSO (there was another defender in the vicinity) or simply the normal practice of referees applying different criteria for cards in friendly matches.

Interesting.
Lucky penalty after Vardy's dive (again) - missed!!
Extremely lucky first goal from an offside Kane and that clown (Hart) proving once again what a liability he is between the sticks.
I know England were missing one or two players but as usual, they haven't filled me with confidence that they can progress beyond the last 16 of the Euros..... :rolleyes:

by liability i presume you mean match winner with that injury time save?

I'll put money on it that Hart the clown costs England at least one unnecessary goal this summer....... :cool:

i watch him week in week out, he's not perfect (distribution and crosses especially) but he's the best we've got and a fabulous shot stopper

i watch him week in week out, he's not perfect (distribution and crosses especially) but he's the best we've got and a fabulous shot stopper

That's the worst part of it - he is probably the best we've got!!
He's still a clown though.
Wait and see what he does between the sticks this summer...... ;)

Reactions: es1
woahh horsey ... Hart is NOT the best we've got ... Butland is better than Hart - and I genuinely belive that if Butland hadn't got injured he'd have been given these warm up games, and given that he performed well, would have knocked Hart out the sticks!

also ... @J-K ... if you, as an AR, cannot get that offside then I wouldn't worry about going to 'the top' of officiating lol the game was played on Sunday and Kane was waiting in Monday morning for the ball ... country mile offside!

woahh horsey ... Hart is NOT the best we've got ... Butland is better than Hart - and I genuinely belive that if Butland hadn't got injured he'd have been given these warm up games, and given that he performed well, would have knocked Hart out the sticks!

also ... @J-K ... if you, as an AR, cannot get that offside then I wouldn't worry about going to 'the top' of officiating lol the game was played on Sunday and Kane was waiting in Monday morning for the ball ... country mile offside!

nahhhh
i wouldn't have butland over hart, there's really very few international keepers i'd have over him as well

i'd say that because i'm a keeper and i try to look at it objectively!

butland is good, but i don't think he does anything better than hart, yet

hmmm ok, I do kind of agree lol

I don't think Hart will be the guy that ruins it for us though ... that'll be Hodgson that has all of these wonderful fearless players at his disposal, yet starts every game with Henderson/Rooney/Sturridge etc and leaves Drinkwater/Kane/Vardy/Rose on the bench!

I don't think Hart will be the guy that ruins it for us though ... that'll be Hodgson that has all of these wonderful fearless players at his disposal, yet starts every game with Henderson/Rooney/Sturridge etc and leaves Drinkwater/Kane/Vardy/Rose on the bench!

that sir, is spot on

Irrespective of however well we think our team can/can't perform, it depresses me that there are no longer any world class English footballers. :(
There's not one player in England's squad that would walk into any decent European side.

It doesn't seem that long ago since we had the likes of Shearer, Scholes, Beckham, Gascoigne, Hoddle etc.

Flooding our top flight with foreigners may have lined the pockets of the TV networks and brought trophy success to a handful of clubs but it has sounded the death knell for the development and production of quality homegrown talent.

The last time England got anywhere near a trophy was in the 1996 Euros with the likes of Shearer, Sherringham and Gascoigne in the team. None of the current crop can compare........ :(

hmmm I'm not so sure you know ...

a. a lot of not thinking we have 'stars' is because they are current players - when Kane/Rose/Rashford retire I have no doubt they'll be remembered as 'stars'
b. I think you under estimate our potential and just how good the players are ... annoyingly though, like I said, its these poxy managers that promise to rid the current failures and let the fearless young take on the challenge! they do immensely well in qualifying (unbeaten!) and come the tournament itself - the gaffa bottles it, floods the team with the old lot and a few rising stars, doesn't star the fearless - we bow out at the last 16 and start the process again!!!!

we NEED a young manager, someone that is in it just for England and not the money too ... a passionate S.O.B like Beckham/Neville/Shearer ... someone that'll actually pick a ****ing team on merit and not the name on their shirt or the crest of their club!

England can win the Euros and World Cup - that's a definite. but we have to pick the right squad ... for me Rooney doesn't start up front ...

Hart
Clyne, Cahill, Dier, Rose
Sterling Wilshere Rooney Alli
Kane Vardy

hmmm I'm not so sure you know ...

a. a lot of not thinking we have 'stars' is because they are current players - when Kane/Rose/Rashford retire I have no doubt they'll be remembered as 'stars'
b. I think you under estimate our potential and just how good the players are ... annoyingly though, like I said, its these poxy managers that promise to rid the current failures and let the fearless young take on the challenge! they do immensely well in qualifying (unbeaten!) and come the tournament itself - the gaffa bottles it, floods the team with the old lot and a few rising stars, doesn't star the fearless - we bow out at the last 16 and start the process again!!!!

we NEED a young manager, someone that is in it just for England and not the money too ... a passionate S.O.B like Beckham/Neville/Shearer ... someone that'll actually pick a ****ing team on merit and not the name on their shirt or the crest of their club!

England can win the Euros and World Cup - that's a definite. but we have to pick the right squad ... for me Rooney doesn't start up front ...

Hart
Clyne, Cahill, Dier, Rose
Sterling Wilshere Rooney Alli
Kane Vardy

I never said they weren't "stars" Charlie, I simply said none of them are world class. ;)

Anyway, being a "star" counts for naff all. There are players who are "stars" in San Marino mate, but that doesn't mean any of em' would make it into the England team does it?

England needs a shake up of it's player policy nationwide (just like the Germans did) before it can up the standards. Once the standards are higher, the top class quality players reveal themselves via their performances for their (usually top quality) clubs. The team then virtually picks itself in many ways. The manager needs experience - not youth. Both Hoddle and Keegan were "young" managers by comparison and what did they achieve? England have always done better under an older and more experienced manager/coach ie Venables, Robson.

I think the team you've listed above is pretty close to the one he will start with anyway, but I'd have Sturridge over Kane any day of the week. Sterling is a lightweight and Wilshere isn't even match fit.

I suppose this current crop of players could do a "Greece" this summer and manage to obtain a bit of cohesion and a degree of luck but to suggest that they're capable of being world beaters is just fantasy mate. The matches against Turkey and before that the home defeat by Holland (who didn't even qualify) should tell you as much..... ;) :)

What on earth makes you think he's got the intelligence to keep Sturridge fit? As a Liverpool fan, that's my one and only wish from the Euros, but I almost know it's futile!

Back