A&H

England v Spain - Womens Euros

The Referee Store
Not convinced it was ever a handball offence.....the player clearly slices the kick.....the arm is already raised as part of her movement towards the ball.....yes it does continue to rise, but I think it would have done anyway.
Not sure who shouted down the comms kit but someone obviously did.....once the mistake is acknowledged the drop ball is surely the correct restart? The only question I have is whether the ref managed the process so that it was uncontested........

it was a poor decision as padfoot says the comms kit saved embarrassment, for a ref who had a poor game

yeah, a very good correction there which was well received i think ... fair play to the ref there, in fact i thought at the time it was, for the want of a better word, ballsy

an interview with an England defender suggests that the referee acted upon her questioning the decision rather than the intervention of another official

from the bbc...

"Before the tournament, Uefa send referees in to have meetings with you and they said if it hits you or is a deflection it's not really a handball - you can't really help it," said Bronze.

"I saw it right in front of me and I was like 'that is not a penalty' - it's hit her leg and then gone up and hit her arm. It's a deflection and [the referee] said 'you're right, it's my mistake'.

"Fair play to her for doing that. I don't think a lot of referees would be brave enough to do that in such a big game and such a big decision.

in the interview she gave on the radio she says she approached the referee who then changed her decision

I have seen a few refs on FB say they think it is a penalty. Lord help us.

It was a terrible decision by the ref. I hope it was another official in her ear and not the player that made her change the decision. Uefa should clarify that as it is very bad for us if the world thinks the player changed her mind.

DB restart correct. Wrongly reported as a FK by at least one newspaper just to add to the confusion.

I concur with Santa Sangria, as I too am alarmed at the number of qualified referees who think the original decision was correct, the rationale seeming to be that her arm was in an unnatural position. Which is ridiculous as she was stretching for the ball, and as I've said countless times before you can't play football with your arms pinned by your side. I'd argue that anyone who thinks you can has never kicked a ball at any kind of competitive level.

I also agree that she had a very unconvincing game. The most baffling of which, penalty / non penalty aside, being when she ludicrously gave a handball against Jill Scott when she was looking straight at it and the ball was nowhere near her arms. However, she does deserve some credit for changing her mind as there are a lot of referees who would just carry on with the penalty regardless.

The problem she now has though, mainly thanks to English player interviews, is that the whole World thinks she changed her mind because of player complaints. I'm sure that isn't the case, and rather one of the other officials bailed her out, but she just didn't sell that at all well. Personally I think she should have gone to speak to whichever official gave her the information as that would have made it much more obvious that teamwork had come to the rescue rather than her having collapsed based on player complaints.

The most baffling of which, penalty / non penalty aside, being when she ludicrously gave a handball against Jill Scott when she was looking straight at it and the ball was nowhere near her arms.
She didn't penalise Jill Scott. AFAIK there was a foul committed by another England player in the moments before and the referee waited to see if any advantage would occur. Once Scott played the ball, she stopped play and awarded the original foul. She even moved the free kick to the place of the original foul.

I felt embarrassed for Jonathan pearce as he tried to justify why it should have been a pen on 5live earlier. DELIBERATE ffs he even said he didn't think it was deliberate but that it must be a pen as her arm was above her head...these guys get paid how much?

Well done to the referee for reversing her decision, although I'd like to know how that happened. Did the referee realise herself once she blew the whistle, or was another official in her ear?
given the arm came up about the same time the ball was kicked I don't think I could blame anybody for initially thinking 'arm up, unnatural position'. We can see the arm only came up due to the slip. One wonders how easy it would be to give the correct decision here in real time.

Situation where the ball comes off the player's leg into their own arm are always difficult. I kind of wonder if perhaps the LOTG could clarify that unless the player was clearly falling over/losing balance, then it should always be a FK. Just a consideration - it's not the law currently and I think the correct decision was reached.

Credit to the players for accepting the reversed decision - imagine if that was in a men's game. Players accepting a reversed decision actually facilitates the referee doing the right thing whereas the current culture of the game seeks to prevent referees from doing the right thing.

Ref for me did well to reverse decision, although under the current marking scheme she would still now be on a max 7.9 because she actually awarded the pen. I don't agree with this criteria however it is what it is. If the correct call is reached then ok it looks a bit messy but that's all we aspire too, getting the decisions correct.
Agree with some of the above, in real time, pitch level, to all intents and purposes that prob did look like a handball and indeed pen, then, either through playing it back in her own mind, or getting a shout from somewhere, the ref has prob realised it would be very difficult to class it as deliberate given that the player slipped and was in mid air.

Except that she didn't end up awarding the penalty. She corrected her mistake.

The optics of how it was corrected may not have been great, but she did not restart with the penalty, so you cannot penalize her (as an assessor/observer) for making a critical match incident mistake.

u have been reeled in.....u make the wrong call.........all bets are off!
welcome to the wonderful world of observing ! I don't need back up but its a mistake.......even if u correct it.......for me, its good officiating but thems the breaks....

The most natural position for the left arm is up in the air to the side of the body when attempting to kick the ball with the right foot
upload_2017-7-27_11-45-20.pngupload_2017-7-27_11-45-57.png
There are plenty more similar images in can put here.

No matter what made her change her mind to the correct decision, before communicating it to the players, she should have either walked to her nearest assistant and have a 10 second chat or just go to an isolated area and put her hand on the ear piece clearly indicating a consultation on the comms. A much better process.

I felt embarrassed for Jonathan pearce as he tried to justify why it should have been a pen on 5live earlier. DELIBERATE ffs he even said he didn't think it was deliberate but that it must be a pen as her arm was above her head...these guys get paid how much?
Jonathan Pearce is an idiot who has no idea about the LOTG.
On countless occasions I hear him spout some b@@@llocks about the laws. He just makes it up.

Reactions: es1
Back