A&H

Enjoyed it

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Cup game today, u18s. Home team are 2-1 up with seconds to play, away team equalise from the corner. Away team go on to win 4-2 aet.

Despite how close the match was and a goal in the 93rd minute, both sets of teams and managers were perfectly behaved throughout. Both said that I was the best ref they'd had this season (I often get this or that I'm the worst, usually after a red card or penalty call,it's never in between lol).

I'm only 14 months in to refereeing and my plan has always been to see how it goes, go for a promotion and just see how I'm enjoying it. The intention being that if I'm getting somewhere and see a pathway I may stick with it, or I may play in the vets league (decent standard around here) next season and just ref on Sundays,or if I'm not enjoying it take up something else. It's games like today that restore my faith and enjoyment in the whistle.

The Referee Store
Cup game today, u18s. Home team are 2-1 up with seconds to play, away team equalise from the corner. Away team go on to win 4-2 aet.

Despite how close the match was and a goal in the 93rd minute, both sets of teams and managers were perfectly behaved throughout. Both said that I was the best ref they'd had this season (I often get this or that I'm the worst, usually after a red card or penalty call,it's never in between lol).

I'm only 14 months in to refereeing and my plan has always been to see how it goes, go for a promotion and just see how I'm enjoying it. The intention being that if I'm getting somewhere and see a pathway I may stick with it, or I may play in the vets league (decent standard around here) next season and just ref on Sundays,or if I'm not enjoying it take up something else. It's games like today that restore my faith and enjoyment in the whistle.
I'm maybe 6 months further down the exact same path, except that i"d rather play golf than roll the vets dice.
Things also going ok for me. Very low card count, even on Saturdays
Famous last words....
Promo next cycle...maybe

I'm maybe 6 months further down the exact same path, except that i"d rather play golf than roll the vets dice.
Things also going ok for me. Very low card count, even on Saturdays
Famous last words....
Promo next cycle...maybe

I'm going for my first promotion come March. My golf handicap is 14 ;)

My card count is quite high in the adult Sunday Leagues but low in the u18, u21 and Saturday league's, which accurately reflects the type of football played imo.

I typically do 2 or 3 games a weekend and it's always nice to end the weekend on a positive. Players, managers and a few of the spectators from both sides shaking your hand and a cracking match to boot

I'm going for my first promotion come March. My golf handicap is 14 ;)

My card count is quite high in the adult Sunday Leagues but low in the u18, u21 and Saturday league's, which accurately reflects the type of football played imo.

I typically do 2 or 3 games a weekend and it's always nice to end the weekend on a positive. Players, managers and a few of the spectators from both sides shaking your hand and a cracking match to boot
My H/C was also 14 although it's inactive now. I also qualified as a Rules Official, but that was stupidly time consuming. Golf rules are infinitely better structured than football's, but too complicated for your monthly Medal
IFABs offering is amateurish in comparison. The whole 'football expects' and 'spirit of the game' spiel lends itself to what have. That said, refereeing football is a more interesting challenge because most people (in the game) have a sketchy knowledge of the rules. The best thing about golf officiating, was learning the >1000 page book. The best thing about football refereeing, is the stuff most people would hate --> the personal challenge of dealing with the chaos

It's games like today that restore my faith and enjoyment in the whistle.

Yeah, I took on an U18's this season. First time for a long while I've dared to adventure into the youth circuits. Turned out to be my first card-free game. Was so well behaved, the only dissent I got was actually from one of the club's adult team's player's who had come to watch. The U18's players and officials were spot on.

If every game was like that...

I attribute well behaved youth teams to their coaching staff. Always make an effort to complement at the end of the game and thank them for their discipline.
Unfortunately the reverse is also true for poorly behaved teams.

Yeah, I took on an U18's this season. First time for a long while I've dared to adventure into the youth circuits. Turned out to be my first card-free game. Was so well behaved, the only dissent I got was actually from one of the club's adult team's player's who had come to watch. The U18's players and officials were spot on.

If every game was like that...

Exactly how I've found the u18 league this year (I rotate between 2 Sunday mens league's and an u21/u18 league). TBH there is quite a large gap between the youth and adult league's in terms of behaviour and the style of football played its encouraging.

Having said that, the local RA put a post today on social media that a youth game had no ref so a parent volunteered and he got dogs abuse from one sides officials/parents. A long way to go yet....

Reactions: one
I attribute well behaved youth teams to their coaching staff. Always make an effort to complement at the end of the game and thank them for their discipline.
Unfortunately the reverse is also true for poorly behaved teams.
What? You always make an effore to thank coaches for their teams unruly behaviour and ill discipline? ;)

Back