A&H

EPL, VAR, "thicker lines"

one

RefChat Addict
Apparently EPL is going to use thicker lines for offside next season.

I'm sure there is a joke somewhere in there about "thick" and whomever came up with the idea.

The Referee Store
..and worse of all, they are no longer going to show the results of the decision. That'll just lead to accusations of corruption every time a decision goes against a team.

I know others don't agree with me but as I've said before on other discussions about it, l'm in favour of this. The Dutch seem to think it's been highly successful, so their experience would only serve to reinforce my opinion.

and worse of all, they are no longer going to show the results of the decision. That'll just lead to accusations of corruption every time a decision goes against a team
That's not the case as far as what I've read. According to the Talksport article below (and others), the changed procedure:
means television viewers and broadcasters will no longer see the process of the offside lines being drawn, just the final result.

Thicker offside lines in EPL

Everyone goes on about the 30cm margin of error that someone once calculated in a newspaper a year or so ago.

This solution a) ignores that and only uses 10cm thicker lines, which is a negligible change and b) does nothing to solve the issue of the fact that there will still be decisions that miss the margin by an "armpit" or where the judgement of where exactly to place the mark that lines are drawn from is still extremely subjective and looks right or wrong depending on which team you support.

Not showing the line drawing process is a definite improvement, as it can only ever look like the VAR is trying to produce a particular outcome! A better solution would be to place the attacking line and the defending line on two separate pictures, then superimpose them after the position of those lines is locked, as that removes even subconcious bias from the VAR. For example, using the new overlapping lines system, there will be a certain incentive to make sure the lines overlap and support your friend and colleague's decision. Marking the second line without being able to see the first would make that harder, meaning more honest and consistent results.

Everyone goes on about the 30cm margin of error that someone once calculated in a newspaper a year or so ago.

This solution a) ignores that and only uses 10cm thicker lines, which is a negligible change and b) does nothing to solve the issue of the fact that there will still be decisions that miss the margin by an "armpit" or where the judgement of where exactly to place the mark that lines are drawn from is still extremely subjective and looks right or wrong depending on which team you support.

Not showing the line drawing process is a definite improvement, as it can only ever look like the VAR is trying to produce a particular outcome! A better solution would be to place the attacking line and the defending line on two separate pictures, then superimpose them after the position of those lines is locked, as that removes even subconcious bias from the VAR. For example, using the new overlapping lines system, there will be a certain incentive to make sure the lines overlap and support your friend and colleague's decision. Marking the second line without being able to see the first would make that harder, meaning more honest and consistent results.

agree with your 3rd para, doing away with showing the lines, great, but the process should not allow the VAR to see the location of the first line while drawing the 2nd line

I think similar is being done with the Euros, shots appearing once lines are in. Doesn’t seem to be many complaints thus far.

Back