A&H

Equatorial Guinea v Guinea Bissau

DJIC

VAR decision to overturn referee decision to award the penalty.

From 1.20

Longer version here, with penalty almost taken before VAR intervention.

from 7.00

The Referee Store
Good decision in my opinion by the VAR. Out of interest, FIFA referees have to speak English if I am correct. Any ideas if there is a language requirement for the CAF referees who officiate at AFCON?

Looks like a penalty to me. If its not a trip then it's impeding. Red has no prospect at all of playing the ball and just throws a leg in to prevent green striking the ball.

I don't mind these overturned if the defender has maintained their feet and looks like they're within playing distance, but this is not that.

Good decision in my opinion by the VAR. Out of interest, FIFA referees have to speak English if I am correct. Any ideas if there is a language requirement for the CAF referees who officiate at AFCON?
None quoted in the (extensive) regulations for AFCON, although French is the default language in the event of an issue over the text in the Regs.
All FIFA referees have to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English to get through a game.
Briefings at World Cups are conducted in English only, although FIFA has 4 official languages.

38:45 PK
41:30 Review
43:15 Overturned
44:00 ish game restarted
PK supported IMO. Hard to say either way

Definition of 'No Added Value'

Back