A&H

Euro league qualifers..champ league round minus 6

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
I watched Bromby in the Danish league last night, full set of league fixtures on the weekend of the WC final, I confess am not up to speed, but , the league continues during the WC?
What brought it too my attention was, ok it wont happen, but had Scotland been in the WC, Rangers, Celtic and Hibs were all playing qualifiers during the world cup, then, it would have been interesting to see what happened, losing one or two players, ok, but, half teams?

The Referee Store
I watched Bromby in the Danish league last night, full set of league fixtures on the weekend of the WC final, I confess am not up to speed, but , the league continues during the WC?
What brought it too my attention was, ok it wont happen, but had Scotland been in the WC, Rangers, Celtic and Hibs were all playing qualifiers during the world cup, then, it would have been interesting to see what happened, losing one or two players, ok, but, half teams?

With the greatest of respect Ciley it’s probably something those three clubs will never have to worry about :D

Fair point. Didn't they say the Qatar World Cup would be in Nov-Dec ? It will be interesting to see how the Premier League adjusts...if at all !

Scandinavian leagues yep.

Question is how many of the Denmark Sweden Iceland squads at the World Cup actually play in there own country?

Very very few I’d imagine

Fair point. Didn't they say the Qatar World Cup would be in Nov-Dec ? It will be interesting to see how the Premier League adjusts...if at all !

Very interesting indeed..

I mean it woudnt be that much of a headache for the rest of Europe as they have a winter break anyway.

Actually come to think of it aren’t the premier league introducing a winter break from 2019/20 anyway? I guess they’ll just extend it by two weeks.

The whole of Europe would adapt I think

The senario am on about is Denmarks top league plays on during WC ?
And Celtic would have 6/7 players with Scotland on the next to zero chance Scotland had a WC run. Extreme but as Lustig was suspended for Sweden v England, could he have turned out for Celtic then went back to WC had Sweden won?

The whole of Europe would adapt I think

The senario am on about is Denmarks top league plays on during WC ?
And Celtic would have 6/7 players with Scotland on the next to zero chance Scotland had a WC run. Extreme but as Lustig was suspended for Sweden v England, could he have turned out for Celtic then went back to WC had Sweden won?

Very simply UEFA would allow the qualifiers to be played after the World Cup.. there would be no other reasonable way around it.

As the Scandinavian leagues aren’t affected by the odd domestic club loosing the odd player here & there I guess it’s not an issue.

When do the cannon fodder from North of the Border turn up as they are hardly never affected by the latter stages of tournaments! :D

The Premier League (and most/all “ premier” leagues in Europe) will be suspended for the four weeks of the Qatar World Cup, with the Premier League (probably) resuming on Boxing Day. (It - the league - will probably start earlier (in July) and end later to accommodate the break.

What will more interesting - and, I think, yet to be decided - is what the Championship and Leagues One And Two will do.

you watch knowing England after all the upheaval & changing of dates etc we won’t end up qualifying for Qatar.

And my, Celtic and Sweden player, Lustig question?
He was suspended for Sweden v Germany, but, he could have played in Celtics qualifer then flown back to WC?

The Premier League (and most/all “ premier” leagues in Europe) will be suspended for the four weeks of the Qatar World Cup, with the Premier League (probably) resuming on Boxing Day. (It - the league - will probably start earlier (in July) and end later to accommodate the break.

What will more interesting - and, I think, yet to be decided - is what the Championship and Leagues One And Two will do.

Thats the thing, the WC is not just 4 weeks unless the players turn up on day 1 and resume playing on the night of the final ( for teams who get there)
The squads would want to fly out at least a week before it starts, then want a rest afterwards too, so, minimum 6 weeks.

Thats the thing, the WC is not just 4 weeks unless the players turn up on day 1 and resume playing on the night of the final ( for teams who get there)
The squads would want to fly out at least a week before it starts, then want a rest afterwards too, so, minimum 6 weeks.

The tournament starts on Monday November 21st, and ends on December 18th (it is the shortest World Cup finals since 1978)

I can see the last round of Premier League games being played on Saturday 12th November.

I wonder if the value of non-international players will increase? Might be worth filling your squad with players who will have a winter break?

A winter World Cup - it won’t “feel” right, but will be interesting

The tournament starts on Monday November 21st, and ends on December 18th (it is the shortest World Cup finals since 1978)

I can see the last round of Premier League games being played on Saturday 12th November.

I wonder if the value of non-international players will increase? Might be worth filling your squad with players who will have a winter break?

A winter World Cup - it won’t “feel” right, but will be interesting

So your saying 8 or 9 days between last prem games & the World Cup. Sounds very short considering they usually get around six weeks to prepare.

Your right it’s gonna be very interesting to see how it unfolds, the premier league are going to have to be very accommodating.

Total guess but, even if EPL games are all say, midday latest ko on that Sat.....surely it be the Monday before squad can meet up and be the Tues afternoon at very earliest, if not the Weds morning that the squad can train for first time in their Qatari base, leaving time for just one local bounce game?

Remember the one thing that dictates everything these days is TV money that’s what will have the final say on what happens.

Sky BT & I believe Amazon have spent in the region of 5-6bn to show premier league footy upuntil May 2022, do you honestly think they’re gonna stand by and let the World Cup take over large parts of November / December without having something to say about it or pay the same again when the bidding comes round again.

I’m not gonna pretend to have the first clue about how it’s all gonna work but for me it’s got the potential to get messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back