A&H

EVE Vs SOU

BrumRef

Regular Contributor
Level 7 Referee
Completely agree with the Digne red card today however Ancelotti’s comments were IMO completely out of character. I know he’s defending his player but surely a breach of the interview protocol calling the decision a joke. I have also attached a link of the interview where he says it was not violent conduct but surely the red was given for SFP so Ancelotti looks a bit of a fool in this being completely wrong in law IMO? Please tell me if I’m wrong but I’ve watched it over and over and is surely SFP

The Referee Store
I'm really struggling to not SFP this.
Every stud planted on the back of your opponents ankle?
Just has to be red surely?
I think he's trying for a tactical foul and just completely f**ked it up!
Unlucky, but RC

Yeap SFP for me too. But even if you go for a caution, there was a foul 3 seconds earlier which advantage was payed on. That foul could have easily been a first yellow.

I'm really struggling to not SFP this.
Every stud planted on the back of your opponents ankle?
Just has to be red surely?
I think he's trying for a tactical foul and just completely f**ked it up!
Unlucky, but RC
Exactly that. We were having the debate a week or two about tactical fouls that "feel" red but don't actually qualify - this definitely isn't one of those! Easy red for the nature of the tackle, the context is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm with everyone above on this one. I think it's just about as clear a case of SFP as you'll see and I don't really get the fury in the media (well, some of the media) over it being given.

And I too will fall in line as Graeme and I were seemingly alone on the other side of that debate
SFP plain and simple. If referee has called it VC perhaps this is because he fely it was not a challenge for the ball. The problem with calling something that isn't violent as violent conduct...
Call it what you will, its excessive force either way, player safety is endangered and the ref was right to award a red card

Genuinely caught in 2 minds about this one. The images don’t look good but I don’t actually see him make a challenge, It actually looks like he’s sprinting and just stood on somebody.

Genuinely caught in 2 minds about this one. The images don’t look good but I don’t actually see him make a challenge, It actually looks like he’s sprinting and just stood on somebody.

Which is what happened. We don't know his intention, but we don't have to - it certainly endangered his opponent's safety, so its a red.

Every challenge thats ever made could endanger the safety of an opponent.

Some of the worst injuries come from innocuous challenges.

I can accept but colour cards here, i dont think there would even have been a thread if he was given a yellow card.

Every challenge thats ever made could endanger the safety of an opponent.

Some of the worst injuries come from innocuous challenges.

I can accept but colour cards here, i dont think there would even have been a thread if he was given a yellow card.
'Could' but didn't isn't an offence. Here he DID endanger safety so its a red.

Point 2 agreed but not relevant and can't agree at all with point 3

Sorry!

This is a referee's SFP, but not a player's or manager's (or pundit's) expectation
So we're in the minority!
If the referee played some sort of advantage (he definitely delayed the whistle after the first challenge), two yellows would've have suited everyone

This is a referee's SFP, but not a player's or manager's (or pundit's) expectation
So we're in the minority!
If the referee played some sort of advantage (he definitely delayed the whistle after the first challenge), two yellows would've have suited everyone

Unusually MOTD2 team thought it was a red - albeit very grudgingly!

Unusually MOTD2 team thought it was a red - albeit very grudgingly!
Did they? Sky's finest were apoplectic I think
I could live with a YC or SFP but would lean towards the former. Best option IMO is two YCs, but referees are scared to put their own stamp on things

It was Leon Osman who I like as a pundit. SFP for me all day long but hey ho that's what makes the game so interesting I guess!

Last edited:
Did they? Sky's finest were apoplectic I think
I could live with a YC or SFP but would lean towards the former. Best option IMO is two YCs, but referees are scared to put their own stamp on things
Two yellows? Were there two fouls?

Which is what happened. We don't know his intention, but we don't have to - it certainly endangered his opponent's safety, so its a red.
But we see it so often with players running and there’s a tangle of legs, people getting their foot trodden on etc all in the motion of running with eyes on the ball. I can absolutely see why the red was given, but I do feel sympathy for the player as he’s been done on unfortunate placement of 2 feet

Back