A&H

Ever 'lost it' on the pitch as a ref?

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Must admit came very close today, and it does take a lot for me I'm generally pretty hard to rile.

I have a knack of very straight talking in life, and on the pitch I think some players may take that as being aggressive.

Anyway, I know another ref on here has said they lost it before, so I wonder who has and what happened??

The Referee Store
I have posted this before. The only time I have sort of lost it was after a game a losing team manager came on to the pitch and decided to tell me I had a **** game/nightmare before trying to quickly slope off. I called him back, loomed over him and told him what I thought of him and his poorly performing teams sportsmanship or lack of.

It was firmly worded. Not shouting, not overly aggressive (possibly), but he got the point. Just stood there looking up.

Not my proudest moment. :)

That was a little foolish of him then really. :rolleyes:

I'm exactly average height and carrying a little too much timber so don't have those to my advantage.

I'm a lover not a fighter, but I have stood my ground unflinching many times in the past (never needed to as a ref I may add) and 99 times out of 100 most people choose to leave it there.

Suppose if you're straight talking and end up squared up people assume you'd follow it through :D

I've lost it a couple of times, ended up swearing and raising my voice to idiots who feel they have the right to verbally abuse you for no reason what so ever, but in am learning not to bite and just use the tools that I am given, ie yellow and red cards.

It is hard sometimes being questioned constantly. I know that will come with more experience though, learn to smile and caution, smile and caution

I once, to my shame, told a player to get up and stop "ar**ing about"

Cue "outraged parent" (Player was 16) telling me he was going to report me, he never did.

Not sure that is a swear word anymore. Seems to appear lots in pre watershed tv.

Heard a couple of pissing abouts lately as well.

Times move on

Back