A&H

Everton Penalty v Liverpool?

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
What did we think?

Never a pen for me, glad to see my opinion backed up by messrs Murphy & Shearer who both said it definitely was!;)

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Can't agree, especially given what you see at corners - but that's the beauty of the beautiful game, its all about opinions.

Was it a soft penalty, Yes
But there was an unnecessary push in the back, so there was an offence = Penalty.
Ignore what hasn't been given/missed during the rest of the match / season. Good decision by the referee.
But Liverpool should have won the game well before the penalty occurred.

If you @PinnerPaul don't think it was a penalty, then I ask to consider your judgement.

Nah, I didn't think it was - the Everton players arm goes into the Liverpool players chest and he pushes himself off from there and onto the ground. You can only clearly see that from the behind the goal angle though, so it's easy to see why the ref woul give it, although I still think it feels too soft to give from the halfway line angle anyway.

I am a holding mid and outside or center back. PK for me. Granted it is soft but defender foolishly in attacker's back. Stupid play. I know saw the Everton arm as well Graeme but didn't see it as a push. Thought the Liverpool defender was into his back with the forearm first. Rule of thumb defending - if he has position and you are in the box, DONT BE STUPID. I'm with the ref. Thought the announcers on NBC over here were clearly partisan. Don't know who called the game over there

Last edited:
I still had it on the DVR. Post game had an almost "ref's eye" view for the after discussion

Attachments

• 1513024999758423248356.jpg
    1513024999758423248356.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As the arm is in the back. Attacker just starting to go forward while arm high on back.

Attachments

• 15130254951202018315840.jpg
    15130254951202018315840.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 5
Defender actually was holding attackers right hand as well which I missed real time while watching game

Attachments

• 151302561431615584816.jpg
    151302561431615584816.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 3
Yes, penalty for me too.
Its a soft one, but on the defenders part lets face it where is the attacker going here? Just stand up to him.
A good decision from Pawson. Nice to see him have a "big" game. Has improved greatly this year.

I am not saying its a soft penalty decision. I am saying it is a soft penalty to give away on the defenders part. As in attacker is heading away from goal, by the time he is fouled and to me he wasnt posing too much of a threat at the time. If I was the manager I eould be furious at giving a penalty away in such circumstances.
Sometimes defenders have to attempt a challenge it get it wrong and you can accept those but this is a soft penalty to concede as it was needless.

It's on the soft side, but still correct. You can't compare it to holding and pushing at corners as the referee is looking at loads there, in this case he is only looking at two players. Also, replays showed that of all the angles the one that the referee had made it look the most pronounced of a push.

Kloppser the clown went down in my estimation with that interview, childish, petulant, bordering on pathetic.... Been impressed with him unto that, that was very amateur the way he rattled on!!!

Back