A&H

Everton penalty yesterday

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict

The foul on Calvert Lewin, having a discussion with a mate regarding this.

I said referee and assistant got it spot on between them, definite penalty and the yellow card was also correct, mate says nailed on red card.

Thoughts ?

The Referee Store
But is DOGSO in doubt because he doesn't have the ball and the GK is going to collect?

(The Spurs pen was a shocker I thought)

Reactions: JH
Just to play devils advocate, if it is a foul or you thought it was what colour should the card have been ?
I think the GK is getting there, so I can live with a pen and yellow SPA. In fact, i'm not even happy with a yellow, because it's not a foul and the keeper is getting the ball regardless

The SPA has thrown me a bit but makes perfect sense.

I automatically think DOGSO but as pointed out earlier no genuine attempt for the ball which would mean a yellow.

I guess as it was so close to the goal the SPA didn't enter my thoughts but its correct call.

The SPA has thrown me a bit but makes perfect sense.

I automatically think DOGSO but as pointed out earlier no genuine attempt for the ball which would mean a yellow.

I guess as it was so close to the goal the SPA didn't enter my thoughts but its correct call.
I think yellow is just middle ground for the referee whose probably in doubt about over his decision

Great call IMO, first view I thought it was harsh but the more you see it from different angles it has to be a penalty!

There's a clear push in the back so I don't see how it can't be a penalty.
A shoulder nudge with no force and the attacker's feet vanished like a magic trick
My perception is tainted by how adept the cheats are these days
For clarity, I'm 60/40 against this spot kick, maybe 50/50, so i can cope with someone arguing tother way. The keeper's getting there, the defender shouldn't have taken a chance and he's given the referee a decision to make (which he didn't himself make (AR)). I'm struggling with SPA as the GK is nailed on to get the ball. Personally, i think the ref was right and the AR gave a soft one, but hardly a career defining moment either way for either of them

It certainly wasn't a genuine attempt to play the ball so the double jeopardy law doesn't apply. So I can't see how it was anything other than DOGSO or SPA. There was a real doubt as to whether the attacker would get to the ball before the keeper, so I'd support a caution for SPA.

Reactions: JH
For me it was a penalty for SPA and the caution for USB was correct. It wasn’t DOGSO because it failed the fundamental part of the test. It was not an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Peoples minds are often drawn with the new rule as to whether there was an attempt to play the ball etc. but this does not apply to a push so the referee only had to decide whether there was an obvious opportunity.

Can’t it just be careless PK for a little push on a player who doesn’t have the ball?

I would argue not! Picture this outside the area, if it makes it easier? Attacker has no chance of getting the ball defender’s mate rushing to hoof it, the defender nudges the player in the back toward his teammate; what’s your call? Still a foul and YC for that sly push in the back as it was totally unnecesary.

It's a foul to me. Look, it MIGHT be a dive....but given the push occurred just as the player was leaving his right foot, it meant the push was completely with the attacker's momentum - so doesn't take much force to send him flying. So, penalty.

As for the card - there's too much doubt over whether he would retrieve the ball. At best he has a 50-50 with the keeper. That's not obvious. If it denied him possessing the ball and otherwise he would have gained possession before the keeper, then we might have a case.

But there was still a reasonable chance, IMO, that he would have contested the keeper for the ball. So hence the SPA - or to put it another way, 'non-obvious goalscoring opportunity'. If the attacker had no chance, then it's not SPA. Of course, you may consider it to fit into 'reckless' anyway, especially given how deliberate and unnecessary it is.

Back