Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Flag Down

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex71

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee

Multiple angles on the video ... anyone agree with Mr Pellegrini ..?

The Referee Store
Onside. Number 20, Mangala keeps him onside. I have only seen this from one angle as my signal is weak at work, can't get on to YouTube. My opinion may change once I've seen it from a few other angles, but looks onside for me.

I don't think the issue is the goal scorer. It appears to be Lukaku who is stood almost right in front of the keeper as the original shot comes in.

I've just had another look after reading what the issue was. Lukaku is definitely in an offside position; he is in front of the keeper but he moves sidewards to allow the ball to continue through.

I've just seen it from another angle, when the ball is struck the keeper has a clear view of the balls path and therefore I don't believe Lukaku's positioning or movement away from the ball and the keepers eyeline mis-leads Cabalero's judgement. He's just been unlucky with the fact the ball was hit was venom and he's parried it into the middle of the goal area.

Last edited:
Also note that on the far side of the field the assistant has an Everton player pass directly in front of him at the point that the original shot is taken.

I think the GK has done well to stop the initial shot - especially with 2 yellow defenders in front of him

Goal.

Whilst Lukaku is in an offside position, the GK has a clear sight of the ball. Lukaku doesn't make any effort to play the ball (therefore not offside under new interpretation part 1 for this season) and I don't believe there is an obvious action that impacts GK ability to play the ball (part 2) therefore no offence committed.

...Lukaku moves across the in front of the goalkeeper just before the ball is shot.
If we interpret this as not offside as per the latest wording then this is what I would do as a manager: whenever my team has the ball in the last third I would send Jesus Navas to constantly sprint from side to side, just for a few yards either way, just a few yards in front of Pepe Reina.

Every team would have a player running in front of the goalkeeper. The ability to distract like this, with only a slight chance that the player is directly in line when a shot comes, would be a massive disadvantage to the keeper.

My common sense says Lukaku has to be offside and this another case where the wording of the law needs additional interpretation by us.

However, I think that there is no way the officials could see this in this incident - the AR's view is blocked and cannot tell Lukaku's actual horizontal position - and the referee would have to be looking at 5 things at once. This therefore suggests that the interpretation guidelines are quite unrealistic to enforce in the real world.

why is he running in front of Pepe Reina?
Jesus Navas features because I find him little use for anything else (though he just proved me wrong by scoring) and he is known for his pace and turning ability (though he can no longer cross or beat a man on the outside).
Pepe Reina is in goal because the Klopp is about to re-sign him.
This will be the 2017 Euro Vase final...

Reactions: DB
@santa sangria ... please can you also tell us what the lottery balls will be for this Saturday ... I'll probably win the £60m as I live in the lucky RM postcode - but - if you could let me know what they'll be I'll happily go halves with you :)

Goal, as ASM said. GK has clear sight.

YEm9Nem.png

This shows the 2 ball trajectories. Not quite sky sports level of technology but it shows that Lukaku is not interfering.

I think goal - but - would have some empathy for the GK if he said he delayed his movement in case Lukaku may have stuck a leg out

I think goal - but - would have some empathy for the GK if he said he delayed his movement in case Lukaku may have stuck a leg out
I think goal too. And whilst we can empathise with that GK thought process, in reality, even with the new interpretation of offside, the attacker can stand in that particular position with impunity (assuming he's not impeding a defender playing the ball). It's only when he makes a movement towards the ball and is close enough that he might touch it, that the GK is 'allowed' to be distracted!

I've not checked but I understood the new "rule" as applying only to the "gesture or movement" bit in the laws, and for obstructing an opponent's vision or movements a player only has to be in the way, not having to make a play for the ball. From the video and the still above, Lukaku wasn't in the line of vision, so not offside.

But why worry about the ref and assistant's view when neither, with a good view, saw the blatant penalty on Navas?

Back