A&H

Falling on/Trapping the ball...

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Could someone please clarify the law/point me in the right direction with regards to players falling on the ball either accidently or deliberately thus preventing an opponent from playing it.
To be honest never been 100% sure as to whether you would give a drop ball or an indirect free kick to the opposition for something like this...

Likewise with trapping the ball between their legs/feet and effectively bunny hopping. :confused:

The Referee Store
if a player prevents an opponent getting to the ball by lying on top or being on the ground and blocking it I'd be giving an indirect free kick to the opponents for playing in a dangerous manor. if a player bunny hops with the ball as long as he is standing up in doing so I'd be playing on

If player deliberately fell on ball or if accidental and he then remained on top of ball or moved his body across to prevent opponent getting ball then IDFC for obstruction.
If as happened in a match I did last season player accidentley slips on ball and is trying his best to knock it out from under himself and get up, then I am giving drop ball for safety reasons in case opponent sees it as a chance to kick the player under the disguise of getting the ball, which has also happened in a game I have done which resulted in 2 red cards.

Regarding you last question.. You'd be lynched if you gave an IDFK against a player pulling a Blanco.

Cheers chaps!

I had a standing bunny hop in a u13's "friendly" I did on Wednesday night. Caused a few laughs and a couple of the opposition looking bemused, but no real complaints... One of those things that happens, first time ever in one of my games. Didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but just had that slight nagging doubt in the back of my mind :confused: Now you come to mention it, can vaguely remember Blanco doing it.

If a player falls on the ball (including, on their hands and knees but over the ball), then assuming this is an accident you want to give them a little bit of time to get up. If, within a couple of seconds, they're not vacating the ball or trying to clear it out from under them, then it's an IFK. You're not punishing them for falling over, but just for not letting anybody else play the ball - because nobody can play it without putting that player in danger.

But a few things to consider. Sometimes an opponent will kick that player to get at the ball in the meantime - this will be a DFK against the opponent (of course, higher grades you'll want to see a harder contact before penalising this). Sometimes the ball will be, say, near the player's head and an opponent will take a big swing to kick the ball hard. Very dangerous, and IFK against that opponent (unnecessary amount of force with the big swing right next to the opponent's body).
Another thing - sometimes the player doesn't get up because they can't. When there's a crowd around them, and everybody's trying to get at the ball, the player doesn't feel like they can safely get up. So you may not want to penalise him for that. It could be IFK against the opponents depending how they're playing, or you may want to do a DB. Sometimes a player is trying to clear it from under himself but it's being blocked by the opponents - I can't expect him to not play the ball, so this may be when I go to a DB. Even if I did it at a fairly high grade, I'd just say 'it's not his fault, but it wasn't going to end well' and players will accept it.

Particularly at a low grade/age, I'll be faster to go straight to the DB if I just feel like there's no way it's going to end well. I even do it in adults at Futsal, but that's because most low-grade centres have the informal expectation that playing the ball from the ground is an IFK. So, instead of penalising a player for falling over, I'll just stop it before it happens.

i don't see a problem with the standing bunny hop, as it's easy to kick the ball out from between the legs.

If the player is deliberatley trapping the ball with his legs/feet preventing an opponent from playing the ball ...i have ,and will again give an IDFK citing unsporting behaviour.

Unsporting behaviour is a caution.
By lying on the ball the player is simply guilty of PIADM, because he's making it impossible for an opponent to safely play the ball.

Back