A&H

Farceball

one

RefChat Addict
Football is becoming a farce and FIFA/IFAB need to step up as mismanagement of top flight games are ruining grassroots.

The two big issues that have existed for a long time, diving and disrespect of referee's authority are becoming a norm.

The two recent additions are handball interpretation and (mis)application of VAR. It's any body's guess what is a deliberate handball when the ball touches the hand nowadays, and put that together with the (mis)use of VAR the game should be called farceball.

Watched a replay of Fiorentina v Inter last night so I had to get it out. rant over.

The Referee Store
The VAR apalogists (vapologists?) have gone quiet. What happened to ”there’s nothing wrong with the protocol”? ;)

”Ruining” grassroots is a bit much. But agreed, addressing the culture of disrespect is very important. In the prem I think it needs to be combined with long term investment in officials, training and pay. The Sky article was abhorrent... but... refs at the top level need to be close to super human to have the right to join the show ponies on the great stage.

Reactions: one
The VAR apalogists (vapologists?) have gone quiet. What happened to ”there’s nothing wrong with the protocol”? ;)
Note I used "misapplication of" just to avoid that trap :). Not quite a "nothing wrong with protocol" person but I do believe the vast majority of the problems are because it is not applied correctly. E.g intervening on non C&O errors. Using slow mo to determine intent and severity.... Using it with insufficient technology is another problem.

Anyway, its not just VAR, its a combination of many thing as mentioned above, players stopping at nothing to get decisions their way, non clear laws and misapplication of them. A perfect (sh!t)storm we are heading for.

Last edited:
The Varometer.. Mark out of ten in Mondays papers, like man of the match for players, for the rating of the VAR that day.

CoVAR up... when something is so obviously to everyone and the VAR waves play on too refusing to have a look as it isn’t obvious enough???

Football is becoming a farce and FIFA/IFAB need to step up as mismanagement of top flight games are ruining grassroots.

The two big issues that have existed for a long time, diving and disrespect of referee's authority are becoming a norm.

The two recent additions are handball interpretation and (mis)application of VAR. It's any body's guess what is a deliberate handball when the ball touches the hand nowadays, and put that together with the (mis)use of VAR the game should be called farceball.

Watched a replay of Fiorentina v Inter last night so I had to get it out. rant over.
If I could 'like' a post 100 times, your OP would be a candidate!

Reactions: one
Typo. Sorry spelling police. I consider myself corrected :p

Good stuff mate.

I've decided to let you off with a caution this time.

Standards - they ain't just summat the Romans carried into battle you know .... ;) :D

Are you talking about the penalty in additional time? It looked handball from the video I saw?

Are you talking about the penalty in additional time? It looked handball from the video I saw?
Yes I agree with that and and the other one in the clip at about 2.00 min. There was another review that wasn't given. while I agree with them this time it's very unpredictable when a handball is reviewed (wold cup?).
The second goal took 3 unnecessary minutes to be confirmed by VAR. A lot of time spent for VAR checks and reviews. It's just way too farcical and goes against it's aim of "minimum interference".

Similar case for Levante vs Real Madrid on the weekend.

Yes I agree with that and and the other one in the clip at about 2.00 min. There was another review that wasn't given. while I agree with them this time it's very unpredictable when a handball is reviewed (wold cup?).
The second goal took 3 unnecessary minutes to be confirmed by VAR. A lot of time spent for VAR checks and reviews. It's just way too farcical and goes against it's aim of "minimum interference".

Similar case for Levante vs Real Madrid on the weekend.
There's huge controversy about that last minute penalty but that's 10x more deliberate than some we've seen recently. I agree, handball is a joke right now.

Back