A&H

Feedback on two issues/errors

The Referee Store
Incidentally, I notice you've written elsewhere that in five years of refereeing you've only had 2 or 3 bad games. In which case I'd suggest contacting FIFA because you need to be on the plane to the next World Cup.
I've had plenty of bad games, just said I've only had issues with players in 2 or 3 games. Perhaps that's because I'm happy to communicate with my assistants to get the right decision, rather than guessing at something, getting it wrong and then awarding a phantom foul to rectify the mistake?! Just a thought.

Not wanting to join in with the dick measuring competition but would like to assist the opening poster with his query.

I find that there are a few occasions during a game when the ball is going out for a throw or a goal kick/corner and you know there may be some doubt as to who gets possession. If it's happening gradually, I find it helps to announce which way you are going to award it before the ball goes out. So in this instance if you think it's a goal kick, irrelevant of who is shielding the ball, I'd say' it's a goal kick if it goes out'. Or, 'it's a blue throw if it goes out'. Players tend to accept that and for the ones that don't I simply say well I did say which way it was going beforehand. Makes it easier for me to sell it to the players.

As for admitting mistakes, many will tell you never to do so, but again in my experience, players and coaches appreciate your honesty when admitting mistakes rather than arrogance by not admitting them.

Keep going and keep evaluating, you will only get better by doing so. Good luck

Not wanting to join in with the dick measuring competition but would like to assist the opening poster with his query.

I find that there are a few occasions during a game when the ball is going out for a throw or a goal kick/corner and you know there may be some doubt as to who gets possession. If it's happening gradually, I find it helps to announce which way you are going to award it before the ball goes out. So in this instance if you think it's a goal kick, irrelevant of who is shielding the ball, I'd say' it's a goal kick if it goes out'. Or, 'it's a blue throw if it goes out'. Players tend to accept that and for the ones that don't I simply say well I did say which way it was going beforehand. Makes it easier for me to sell it to the players.

As for admitting mistakes, many will tell you never to do so, but again in my experience, players and coaches appreciate your honesty when admitting mistakes rather than arrogance by not admitting them.

Keep going and keep evaluating, you will only get better by doing so. Good luck
You know the size of your post does matters.

Well to start with - no, I'm not. I'm actively arguing against completely pointless communication that tells you nothing you couldn't have worked out for yourself. If I've got CARs I'll go with them unless I'm in a better position in which case I'll make my decision and shout for all (including the CAR) to hear: 'I'm in a better position and I've seen x'. If I'm with NARs we discuss whose area is whose on the pitch but if they're 100% certain then to flag and I'll go with them.

In the first situation you gave - the CAR missed something you saw. The purpose of the conversation being? You were clearly in a better position (if (s)he didn't see something that you could) so what were you hoping to hear?
In the second - (s)he's in the better position. So why chat? Plus, if I've got an AR in a better position than me I'd sure as hell not be signalling before (s)he has because then I could avoid this sort of thing.

Incidentally, I notice you've written elsewhere that in five years of refereeing you've only had 2 or 3 bad games. In which case I'd suggest contacting FIFA because you need to be on the plane to the next World Cup.

Do you wanna lift down off that high horse mate?

I've had plenty of bad games, just said I've only had issues with players in 2 or 3 games. Perhaps that's because I'm happy to communicate with my assistants to get the right decision, rather than guessing at something, getting it wrong and then awarding a phantom foul to rectify the mistake?! Just a thought.
Don't go using up all your thoughts, you'll need a lie down. You must be really lucky if you've had plenty of bad games but only had issues with players in a couple of games. They obviously make a lot of allowances for you and give you a lot of slack. Would you like us to do the same for your lack of awareness, common sense and high levels of indignation?

@TSHudson you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you are throwing advice coming from a lot of way more experienced referees, some of which have operated at senior levels, back in their faces. That ain't going to make you a lot of friends as a relatively new forum member, and as the saying goes "if you are p!ssing into the wind turn around or expect wet trousers" … :)

Don't go using up all your thoughts, you'll need a lie down. You must be really lucky if you've had plenty of bad games but only had issues with players in a couple of games. They obviously make a lot of allowances for you and give you a lot of slack. Would you like us to do the same for your lack of awareness, common sense and high levels of indignation?
Haha you’re a tutor but yet seem quite happy insulting and trying to belittle, very odd behaviour that is.
Anyway, I’m fairly happy with my stance that giving a phantom foul is a terrible idea and not something I’ll ever be doing. Not sure I’m throwing advice back in people’s faces @RustyRef, but I don’t have to agree with it if I think it’s wrong.

@TSHudson you are of course entitled to your opinion, but you are throwing advice coming from a lot of way more experienced referees, some of which have operated at senior levels, back in their faces. That ain't going to make you a lot of friends as a relatively new forum member, and as the saying goes "if you are p!ssing into the wind turn around or expect wet trousers" … :)
Haha you’re a tutor but yet seem quite happy insulting and trying to belittle, very odd behaviour that is.
Anyway, I’m fairly happy with my stance that giving a phantom foul is a terrible idea and not something I’ll ever be doing. Not sure I’m throwing advice back in people’s faces @RustyRef, but I don’t have to agree with it if I think it’s wrong.
I like to ask a lot of questions. I have one for you. How wet are your trousers?

You are disagreeing with almost everyone and everything, and we've actually had someone formally complain about it using the report function. Now that means one of three things ...

- everyone else on this forum is wrong and you are right
- you genuinely had a totally different and contrasting review on everything related to refereeing with almost everyone on here, which would be a bit worrying
- you are deliberately posting things to be controversial and / or inflammatory

I am simply offering advice as we have had members in the past adopt this approach and they found themselves either getting no responses as most had blocked or ignored their posts, or those that hadn't ended up repeatedly reporting them to the extent they either got banned or stopped posting.

I’ve disagreed with two things, that’s hardly almost everything is it. So this is a place where you can only post if you agree 100% with a few active posters and you’re not allowed to have different opinions? And having a difference of opinion is reportable, but insults and belittling is OK?

I’ve disagreed with two things, that’s hardly almost everything is it. So this is a place where you can only post if you agree 100% with a few active posters and you’re not allowed to have different opinions? And having a difference of opinion is reportable, but insults and belittling is OK?
That’s the way it goes sometimes on here unfortunately.... when some members don’t get their way they have a hissy fit and shut it down 😂

I'm not telling you what to do and yes you can have different opinions, rather I am just offering constructive advice. At the end of the day I and the other mods have to pick up the pieces when things go wrong, so I'm doing what I would do if I was refereeing a football game and try to nip it in the bud early. If that works great, if it doesn't I can point back at this post, just the same as I'd point back to where I'd spoken to a player on the pitch if the early advice hadn't worked and it had escalated … :)

Back