A&H

First Academy game

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I’ve been appointed my first ever Academy game (Norwich City vs Leyton Orient) which I cannot wait for. Anything extra I can do to prepare or anything I should know about, or should I treat it like any normal game? What are the prematch procedures like? It’s going to be either U12 or U13.

The Referee Store
Nice one!!

I recently did Rotherham vs guisley academies under 17 and everything was exactly the same as a normal match (except they whinged more lol).
With your two being bigger clubs it might be different I guess. But I shouldn’t think too different, especially at that age group

Nice one!!

I recently did Rotherham vs guisley academies under 17 and everything was exactly the same as a normal match (except they whinged more lol).
With your two being bigger clubs it might be different I guess. But I shouldn’t think too different, especially at that age group
Cheers, I’m really happy with it! I thought we might have to turn up in smart clothes like one of the other leagues I’m in😂. So did you just turn up in your kit/tracksuit?

That age group is about development, well it is round our parts (Kent).
Academy head will inform you of the format, players are not whingey, and everyone from the sidelines spectators to the players has respect - enjoy it cos you’ll never want to go back to grassroots Sunday football again!
All boys are on the same platform - so little tommy isn’t better than the rest of the team, and as such mum and dad won’t be vocal in the wrong sense.
Anyway, I digress!
Sometimes they’ll play 20min qtrs, blatant offsides or you may have the luxury of NAR’s.
Don’t be whistle happy - these players are encourage to work through a solution - which also will encourage you to develop your own advantage. Having said that, a foul is still a foul...

Cheers, I’m really happy with it! I thought we might have to turn up in smart clothes like one of the other leagues I’m in😂. So did you just turn up in your kit/tracksuit?
I turned up in kit. It was a last minute appointment as the ref blobbed. Speak to someone from the league etc to check for sure

Thanks
That age group is about development, well it is round our parts (Kent).
Academy head will inform you of the format, players are not whingey, and everyone from the sidelines spectators to the players has respect - enjoy it cos you’ll never want to go back to grassroots Sunday football again!
All boys are on the same platform - so little tommy isn’t better than the rest of the team, and as such mum and dad won’t be vocal in the wrong sense.
Anyway, I digress!
Sometimes they’ll play 20min qtrs, blatant offsides or you may have the luxury of NAR’s.
Don’t be whistle happy - these players are encourage to work through a solution - which also will encourage you to develop your own advantage. Having said that, a foul is still a foul...
Thanks for the advice! Been running the line in a better standard of football recently in small enclosed grounds and they look after you so well; dinner after, lots of handshakes, etc. Pretty disappointing when the following Saturday I had to go back to normal grassroots (which I’m usually absolutely fine with; it’s arguably one of the most important stages) and got barely any handshakes and a shouty post match manager... What about cards? I’m sure I won’t need them, but I thought that about my last u12 game where I booked one after he booted the ball away and had a go at my for offside... Are we meant to be more lenient in the sense like how we aren’t meant to be so frequent with the whistle? Of course, a card’s a card, but you know what I mean

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! Been running the line in a better standard of football recently in small enclosed grounds and they look after you so well; dinner after, lots of handshakes, etc. Pretty disappointing when the following Saturday I had to go back to normal grassroots (which I’m usually absolutely fine with; it’s arguably one of the most important stages) and got barely any handshakes and a shouty post match manager... What about cards? I’m sure I won’t need them, but I thought that about my last u12 game where I booked one after he booted the ball away and had a go at my for offside... Are we meant to be more lenient in the sense like how we aren’t meant to be so frequent with the whistle? Of course, a card’s a card, but you know what I mean
Turn up prepared to be your normal self, make sure when you arrive that you let someone know it's your first academy game and if they have a word along the lines of "we'd rather you ask us to sub players off than book them", then this is the one situation where you should actually follow that advice.

I've only ever been involved in U16 and U18 at academy and was explicitly asked to "treat them like the adults they nearly are", but I was also in the changing room where the advice in my previous paragraph was given out to a ref who was doing a lower age group at the same time. I think if he'd chosen to ignore that advice, he should be expecting not to be invited back.

Turn up prepared to be your normal self, make sure when you arrive that you let someone know it's your first academy game and if they have a word along the lines of "we'd rather you ask us to sub players off than book them", then this is the one situation where you should actually follow that advice.

I've only ever been involved in U16 and U18 at academy and was explicitly asked to "treat them like the adults they nearly are", but I was also in the changing room where the advice in my previous paragraph was given out to a ref who was doing a lower age group at the same time. I think if he'd chosen to ignore that advice, he should be expecting not to be invited back.
Thanks so much. One of those grey areas

They cull every few months at Academies and those that don’t make the grade are cast off. If you have a gobby parent on the side regardless of how good you are it’s a black mark against that player and can easily cost the player his chance. Example would be Vardy, cast off by SWFC for being a bad lad a few times, getting tagged and being difficult. He went away from football for a few years before finding fame and fortune elsewhere. There must be thousands of such players around the country that just didn’t make it!

They cull every few months at Academies and those that don’t make the grade are cast off. If you have a gobby parent on the side regardless of how good you are it’s a black mark against that player and can easily cost the player his chance. Example would be Vardy, cast off by SWFC for being a bad lad a few times, getting tagged and being difficult. He went away from football for a few years before finding fame and fortune elsewhere. There must be thousands of such players around the country that just didn’t make it!
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard about parents! Must be some unbelievable talent wasted because of it

Back