A&H

First Adult League Game

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
So this Saturday I have my first Men's League game. I've mainly done youth and a few adult friendlies but I'm now delving into league football at the age of 17. I was wondering if you have any advice for me, regarding anything you think I should know. For anyone who's interested, I'm reffing in the North Bucks and District Football League. Wonder if anyone has heard of it. Thanks in advance!

The Referee Store
So this Saturday I have my first Men's League game. I've mainly done youth and a few adult friendlies but I'm now delving into league football at the age of 17. I was wondering if you have any advice for me, regarding anything you think I should know. For anyone who's interested, I'm reffing in the North Bucks and District Football League. Wonder if anyone has heard of it. Thanks in advance!
Don't be weak. Don't let them try to bully you. They'll see you and think they can walk all over you because of your age, make sure they know in the first 10 minutes that is not the case.

Don't be weak. Don't let them try to bully you. They'll see you and think they can walk all over you because of your age, make sure they know in the first 10 minutes that is not the case.
Recently in youth football, I've been easily cautioning players so hopefully, I won't have any issue in adult football!

Be 100% confident that the decision that you are making is correct and in your knowledge of LoTG
Remember that you are out there to enjoy your Game as much as the players are :):):):)

@MKAhmad - check the league rules, as there may be certain procedures required which do not exist in minor football. For example, timing of exchange of team sheets, whether players can be signed on the day, etc.

If you have a mentor, ask him along. A friendly face always helps, and if officials are causing problems he can go and stand next to them.

Also, some on here will disagree - don't be afraid to say it is your first OA match. We all have to start somewhere. Clubs and players will give you a little more leeway for iffy decisions for your first few matches, but make sure that they are not walking over you.

@MKAhmad - check the league rules, as there may be certain procedures required which do not exist in minor football. For example, timing of exchange of team sheets, whether players can be signed on the day, etc.

If you have a mentor, ask him along. A friendly face always helps, and if officials are causing problems he can go and stand next to them.

Also, some on here will disagree - don't be afraid to say it is your first OA match. We all have to start somewhere. Clubs and players will give you a little more leeway for iffy decisions for your first few matches, but make sure that they are not walking over you.

Not the worst point to make, the last one. As much as we have an imprinted vision that all teams are ogres, of course, in reality, they are not. A decent coach might at least try to have a reasoned head on, and that will filter through to the players. Of course there will be one who will try to take advantage but generally if you get on the right side of humans, some of them are ok !!

Yeah, if you get two nice teams your first match should be quite nice. I was lucky enough to get that, both teams knew it was my first game and it was all in good spirits. Hopefully that'll be the case for you as well. :)

Yeah, if you get two nice teams your first match should be quite nice. I was lucky enough to get that, both teams knew it was my first game and it was all in good spirits. Hopefully that'll be the case for you as well. :)
I had 2 off before half time in my first OA game but you can only ref what you see in front of you!!! Good luck though!!

Shirt tucked in!
Make a short notebook checklist of pre-KO things to do.
Don't forget to start ur watch....Avoid the pitfalls of squabbling with players....Caution stuff that merits a caution (particularly dissent)

Shirt tucked in!
Make a short notebook checklist of pre-KO things to do.
Don't forget to start ur watch....Avoid the pitfalls of squabbling with players....Caution stuff that merits a caution (particularly dissent)
Don't worry about the shirt, its not important (yet), worry about the tackles like in the PSG v Liverpool game... and sent them off as a proper referee should have done!!

Don't worry about the shirt, its not important (yet), worry about the tackles like in the PSG v Liverpool game... and sent them off as a proper referee should have done!!
Shirt tucked in is Numero Uno 🕺
Oh.... and don't bother turning up if you've only got yellow, orange, green, blue or white boots 😤

Shirt tucked in is Numero Uno 🕺
Oh.... and don't bother turning up if you've only got yellow, orange, green, blue or white boots 😤
I'd rather him turn up as Worzel Minty and have a super game than turn up ready for a fashion shoot and initiate a car crash game!!!

Dress so you're comfortable, centre back shoes are the best to referee in (the go faster fluorescent ones), have a couple of sharp pencils ready, try and communicate all the time...stepped approach, use your cards when you have to.....don't fret the "mandatory cautions"......but most of all try and enjoy it.....and for heavens sake leave your shirt out or you'll be like last week's ref....looking the part but not necessarily smart!

Here is how, if a new referee is ambitious, tucking the shirt in works, whether or not its morally correct
If you have 6 observers out, all 6 will make comment re the shirt, lets say, 3 of them in the report, 1 on the tel call, 1 on the debrief and 1 will pass comment to the RA manager that the shirt was not tucked in. Somewhere in the middle of these, the RA will do his role and maybe casually talk to new ref "look, the games are going well but there is consistent remarks that your shirt is not tucked in"

So end of season, 6 good marks but shirt out? You are not getting promoted.

If the more experienced grass roots wish to be untidy, that's perfectly fine, but, to progress, that shirt simply will be going in

fair? prob not
how it is? yes

So, from day one, shirt tucked in, means one less thing to alter as/if/when you progress and one less thing for the ultra picky observer to sneer at. Cos like it or not, that is what will happen.

images.jpeg
Barrister Miley has spoken eloquently for the defence!!! Whilst the Assessors make it up as they go along!!! :angel:

View attachment 2736
Barrister Miley has spoken eloquently for the defence!!! Whilst the Assessors make it up as they go along!!! :angel:

I have a foot in both camps mind! (and very much shirt tucked in and would go as far as to advise a referee at ht to tuck it in and failure to do so? Am away home). Why? because if I don't, then, am 100% the big supervisor who turns up next week will question ME as to why I never said anything.

Personally I tuck my shirt in for comfort but it really has no relevance to anything. There's nothing in the LOTG or any competition rules regarding the shirt being required to be tucked in. Therefore, any assessor who marks down a ref for having an untucked shirt is applying his own personal views on what constitutes 'professional' and not what the LOTG or competition rules state and that is subjective and unfair. Flipping the issue, what if an observer thinks that having an untucked shirt looks more professional or is beneficial to the referee? Presumably he is free to mark down a referee for having his shirt tucked in.

Personally I tuck my shirt in for comfort but it really has no relevance to anything. There's nothing in the LOTG or any competition rules regarding the shirt being required to be tucked in. Therefore, any assessor who marks down a ref for having an untucked shirt is applying his own personal views on what constitutes 'professional' and not what the LOTG or competition rules state and that is subjective and unfair. Flipping the issue, what if an observer thinks that having an untucked shirt looks more professional or is beneficial to the referee? Presumably he is free to mark down a referee for having his shirt tucked in.

Feel free to post a pic of any top flight ref in a top flight game having his top out.
I never mentioned marking down, I said comments would be made.
Can you think of any Mohican hair cut refs you have seen at the EPL recently?
Tattoos, as we know from Mark Clattenburg, you will not be having them on show

fair? personal choice? tough, its how it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
Back