A&H

First ever game...

So I’ve just got home from the game...

Overall I thought it went really well, always thought I had control of the game and the key decisions I made were probably correct. The game was MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon, so despite the age it still got pretty feisty. Plus I didn’t have any linos, so was completely on my own on a pretty big pitch, so offsides were near impossible!

Gave 3 penalties, 2 due to clumsy defending which were 100% correct and the other was the last kick of the game for Wimbledon for a handball, which I’m pretty sure was right but the way MK reacted has made me question myself.. maybe the reaction was just due to heat of the moment and it made it 2-2. Winger crossed the ball and the defender tracking him (about 3 yards away) had his forearm stretched out.. ball went straight into his arm. He was fairly close to the cross which is my only doubt but the arm was out.

Overall woulda deffo taken how it went! Onto the next...

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Big pitches are great for offsides, if you are fit enough, get wide and you can look along the line no bother

People have a mental block when it comes to offsides, as if they accept from the start that they will get them wrong
Why? I would rather have ten offsides/non offsides to call in my game than 10 handball shouts....

Last edited:
Referees never get them wrong, when we are right we we are right, when we are wrong we are right also!! Tell them to play to whistle, and stop the bitching!!!

So I’ve just got home from the game...

Overall I thought it went really well, always thought I had control of the game and the key decisions I made were probably correct. The game was MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon, so despite the age it still got pretty feisty. Plus I didn’t have any linos, so was completely on my own on a pretty big pitch, so offsides were near impossible!

Gave 3 penalties, 2 due to clumsy defending which were 100% correct and the other was the last kick of the game for Wimbledon for a handball, which I’m pretty sure was right but the way MK reacted has made me question myself.. maybe the reaction was just due to heat of the moment and it made it 2-2. Winger crossed the ball and the defender tracking him (about 3 yards away) had his forearm stretched out.. ball went straight into his arm. He was fairly close to the cross which is my only doubt but the arm was out.

Overall woulda deffo taken how it went! Onto the next...
Brilliant first game! Really. You are part of history!

When you have no ARs you have a could of options: you can run around trying to follow the play. IMHO this will just get you confused and in trouble. You can stand in the centre circle. IMHO this doesn't help anyone. What I was taught (and sorry that I've written this before) is to focus on the diagonal - practice the diagonal - sacrifice some ball in/out on the far side - if anything take an even wider diagonal in some situations, like crosses, free kicks, so you can call some offsides from a good position.

Using the wide diagonal in such games also gets respect from players in my humble;)

As the man says, if you are fit enough, use the diagonal. When possession changes, move accordingly. It's a balancing act and you take calculated risks ;)

Glad it went well, but that strikes me as crazy appointing. Giving a referee his first game in a game between two teams that absolutely detest each other is beyond a risk, even at U14 level. Players will be too young to remember the team being moved from Wimbledon to MK, but parents won't be ..!

Glad it went well, but that strikes me as crazy appointing. Giving a referee his first game in a game between two teams that absolutely detest each other is beyond a risk, even at U14 level. Players will be too young to remember the team being moved from Wimbledon to MK, but parents won't be ..!
Yeah I was surprised also tbh, but happy to take on the challenge. Luckily there weren’t any issues with the parents at all, with the ‘respect line’ they were far back from the pitch enough for me to easily ignore and there was no arguing between them. Game got pretty scrappy and feisty towards the end but nothing major.

Back