A&H

First game after my course

ellisgreen

hi everyone, i have my first of 5 matches i need to be qualified on monday and need some advice

ive refereed a few games in the past and looking back i dont think i really did the pre match routine properly (i.e talking to managers and club assistants pre match) and need some advice on how to do this

what do i say to managers and assistants pre match and what info should i give to them if that makes sense

U14 vs U13 friendly match, oldest ive done so far

thanks

The Referee Store
hi everyone, i have my first of 5 matches i need to be qualified on monday and need some advice

ive refereed a few games in the past and looking back i dont think i really did the pre match routine properly (i.e talking to managers and club assistants pre match) and need some advice on how to do this

what do i say to managers and assistants pre match and what info should i give to them if that makes sense

U14 vs U13 friendly match, oldest ive done so far

thanks
I suggest a polite self-introduction to managers/coaches, and ask them to leave any questions until after the game.
To the club assistants thanks for their support, and advise what help you would like (whatever is appropriate in your county) and what you do not need (signals for offences other than offside, for example) Use their names and thank them at half time and full time.
Enjoy!

As little as possible would be my advice. Introduce yourself and be friendly, but don't say anything about what you expect from players during the game, and certainly don't tell them that you are a new referee.

As Chas has said, tell the assistants what you do and don't want from them, the last thing you need is for one of them flagging for a penalty (unlikely I know if on their own defence but not unheard of). Make it clear, if you want offsides from them tell them that the player needs to become active, but without baffling them with the offside law.

As little as possible would be my advice. Introduce yourself and be friendly, but don't say anything about what you expect from players during the game, and certainly don't tell them that you are a new referee.

As Chas has said, tell the assistants what you do and don't want from them, the last thing you need is for one of them flagging for a penalty (unlikely I know if on their own defence but not unheard of). Make it clear, if you want offsides from them tell them that the player needs to become active, but without baffling them with the offside law.
I sometimes think 'active' is a bit technical/ambiguous for some ARs.

I tend to say touches the ball or about to do so - is that OK, not exactly as per LOTG, and doesn't cover every eventuality, but as you say we don't have time to go through the offside law in detail pre match!

I sometimes think 'active' is a bit technical/ambiguous for some ARs.

I tend to say touches the ball or about to do so - is that OK, not exactly as per LOTG, and doesn't cover every eventuality, but as you say we don't have time to go through the offside law in detail pre match!

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant, tell them you only want a flag if they touch the ball. Not technically correct I know, but trying to explain the offside law just isn't going to work.

Back