A&H

First game as 4th

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I have 2 schools cup finals; one in the middle and the second as 4th. Never been 4th. What will I have to do? It’s an U13 girls’ game.

The Referee Store
Stand for 70 mins making excuses for your referees shocking calls!

Nah, prob deal with subs, paper work, keep tech areas tidy, throw on a replacement ball and generally be a presence

Make sure you take suitable clothing, it could be any weather. So FA branded coat, FA branded tracksuit, FA branded woolly hat, and if really unlucky, have a brolly to hand....

Make sure you take suitable clothing, it could be any weather. So FA branded coat, FA branded tracksuit, FA branded woolly hat, and if really unlucky, have a brolly to hand....
I’ve got my FA tracksuit and a Nike coat (think it’s the same ones the pros use but without the EA logo) and I’m refereeing my final almost straight after the game so will have my kit anyway!

I’ve got my FA tracksuit and a Nike coat (think it’s the same ones the pros use but without the EA logo) and I’m refereeing my final almost straight after the game so will have my kit anyway!

Was just about to say, make sure you’ve got your kit as you’ll be the one chucked on if the ref picks up an injury!

Was just about to say, make sure you’ve got your kit as you’ll be the one chucked on if the ref picks up an injury!
Wouldn’t mind that actually (of course I’d prefer my colleague not to be injured though)...

Screenshot_20190416-101221__01.jpg
Your primary concern is the technical area. As far as contribution to on field incidents, your referee should tell you what he expects of you. In the absence of instructions, do what an AR (without a flag) would do for incidents in your credible area. I.e, eye contact and discrete signals.

Last edited:
Also, ask where the ref wants players warming up - refs normally want them to not warm up behind the AR, so be vigilant with that. Another point to note is not to kick balls onto the FOP if/when needed, simply throw one to a nearby player. Ensure subs are done at the half way line and only after the substituted player has left the FOP.

My biggest 4th appointment and the world renowned celebrity international referee i was on with, was not impressed with my woolly hat !!

It was a cold day !!!

his logic, I blended in too much with the tech areas...point taken.

refs normally want them to not warm up behind the AR,

Huh?

Usually always have them warming up behind an A/R. The two no-nos are:

1. Behind the goal.
2. On the opposite touchline from the A/R - as this will interfere with offside calls if you happen to look for feet placement, particularly if they're in the kit with only a bib or a jacket on.

Reactions: one
1. Behind the goal.
At a number of our higher level fields, we don't have sufficient space behind the ARs for this.

Instead, we allow them beyond the goal line, but only as far as the edge of the penalty area (typically about a 15m distance where they can warm up)

2. On the opposite touchline from the A/R - as this will interfere with offside calls if you happen to look for feet placement, particularly if they're in the kit with only a bib or a jacket on.
The problem with putting them behind AR1 on the bench side is that subs at the other end of the field will be... opposite AR2, and in this situation.

Huh?

Usually always have them warming up behind an A/R. The two no-nos are:

1. Behind the goal.
Step 5 and above in England it is a directive that they warm up at the opposite side to AR

Back