A&H

First game back 2017

Guess it's the first weekend back reffing for 2017 for majority of us?

Certainly was mine, definitely felt the break but certainly didn't ruin my performance. Cardless game, but definitely wasn't easy. Probably my last middle for a while too.

The Referee Store
Guess it's the first weekend back reffing for 2017 for majority of us?

Certainly was mine, definitely felt the break but certainly didn't ruin my performance. Cardless game, but definitely wasn't easy. Probably my last middle for a while too.
Yeah, my first back, actually only my second middle in the last few months thanks to injury (managed to squeeze one in before Xmas). Had a tricky one yesterday - away team turned up looking to kick their opponents as much as the ball, and it didn't take long to drag the home team down to that level. Even though there were a few booking by the end, I just wasn't strong enough on the fouls or dissent, came home feeling like it was as bad a game as I've had for a while.

Had another match this morning though, which was an absolute dream. Two very well matched teams, game ended 2-1, no cards and aside from an isolated batch of handbags, was played in fantastic spirits by everyone. Fitness was definitely a little short to be fair, but thanks to a very sticky pitch, the game wasn't too fast and I managed OK.

My first game of 2017 also, resulted in seven cautions mostly arising from foul tackles and one for dissent, however also two red cards for the same team, one for SFP, player lunged in straight on, both legs were straight, studs showing, got the ball but irrelevant as also got the player leaving him in a heap, the other was for S3, spitting in the face of his opponent in stoppage time, so he also walked. This season 2016/17 I've had 16 middles, which has resulted in 50 cautions and 9 red cards.

No game today, but 3 in 5 games next week, 2 middles and 1 Supply League line.

Yeah, my first back, actually only my second middle in the last few months thanks to injury (managed to squeeze one in before Xmas). Had a tricky one yesterday - away team turned up looking to kick their opponents as much as the ball, and it didn't take long to drag the home team down to that level. Even though there were a few booking by the end, I just wasn't strong enough on the fouls or dissent, came home feeling like it was as bad a game as I've had for a while.

Had another match this morning though, which was an absolute dream. Two very well matched teams, game ended 2-1, no cards and aside from an isolated batch of handbags, was played in fantastic spirits by everyone. Fitness was definitely a little short to be fair, but thanks to a very sticky pitch, the game wasn't too fast and I managed OK.

Was very suprised my game was cardless, did the reverse fixtures of the same game, 2 red cards and about 5 -6 yellows. Plenty of handbags.

My first game of 2017 also, resulted in seven cautions mostly arising from foul tackles and one for dissent, however also two red cards for the same team, one for SFP, player lunged in straight on, both legs were straight, studs showing, got the ball but irrelevant as also got the player leaving him in a heap, the other was for S3, spitting in the face of his opponent in stoppage time, so he also walked. This season 2016/17 I've had 16 middles, which has resulted in 50 cautions and 9 red cards.

13 Middles for me so far, qualified end of October so I am happy with that.

11 Lemons, 4 reds at junior football. Start an U18's league next Sunday, and into adult football next season.

First game of the year and first middle since the end of October (Didn't realise it had been that long), feeling a bit mentally and physically exhausted!

U14s division 1 game. Did my pre-match pitch and goal inspection resulting in a change of boots as the pitch was on the soft and heavy side. Two well matched teams interested for the most part in playing decent football. A few minor niggles, but nothing serious enough to warrant anything more than a quick talking to. First half flew by in a flash.

About 5 minutes from full time, gave a penalty to the away side. Defender appeared to make a genuine attempt for the ball, but mistimed the challenge and took the man and none of the ball. No complaints about the decision or the subsequent yellow for the home defender. Penalty resulted in a first for me - penalty taken, ball hit post then rebounded straight back to the taker who attempted to finish the rebound before anyone else had taken a touch. Blew whistle and awarded indirect free kick to home side to a few bemused looks. :D

Though on the whole thought I did a good job, but a bit annoyed with myself for a few lapses in concentration during the 2nd half and changing my mind by not carding an away player for a foul almost on full time. Home player on half way line played a ball across to a team mate in the centre circle, away team player followed through with an ankle tap after the ball had long gone. Blew for the foul and away player said "but I went for the ball ref", laughed it off and said "not even close", went for my top pocket to pull out my book and yellow card, but then talked myself out of it and stuck with a lecture instead. Thought at full time and still do now that I should have pulled out the yellow card! :wall:

I took my grandaughter to a kids party on saturday and there was an adult game on the adjacent pitch. Old boy ref who wasnt that active and wasnt at the races from the bits that I saw. First half looked quite cordial, few challenges or incidents of note 0-0. Second half was much different, niggly fouls, dissent and an all in fight between a defender and the home manager / coach, Manager and coach got binned and defender unbelievably only got yellow. Saw some big haymakers from both sides!!! His inactivity IMO led to a few incidents getting worse as he wasnt anywhere close to create a physical and audible barrier to stuff kicking off. Nice to sit there at times sipping my Coke and see how the other refs deal with situations. :)

First game back for me yesterday as well. I was expecting a strong competitive game but got a one sided, well contested clean game, only blew the whistle 5-times apart from the mandatory.

Man flu meant I couldn't do my County Cup Semi yesterday.

This Sunday, AR Womens PL - hoping weather and my health OK!

yup, first game back yesterday OA local derby. Zero cards, but it was played in excellent spirits, some of the home team sporting black armbands as one of the players lost his sister a few weeks back and was known to both sides. A very sporting affair all round... 1-1 HT and two minutes into the second half home team were 3-1 up. 4-1 FT

Man flu meant I couldn't do my County Cup Semi yesterday.

This Sunday, AR Womens PL - hoping weather and my health OK!

Sooooo , still have man flu this week but.......feel much better today so should be my first game back for 2 1/2 months on Sunday.

Its not like we're expecting snow or anything........................................................................:(:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Sooooo , still have man flu this week but.......feel much better today so should be my first game back for 2 1/2 months on Sunday.

Its not like we're expecting snow or anything........................................................................:(:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're better!! Hope all goes ahead!

I'm back in the Land of my Father... Dungannon, for sure.... Snowing here....back on saturday morning, at least if i skid the car in the morning its a hire car!!! ;)

First one back yesterday and just reinforced what I was feeling 6 weeks ago. It's definitely time for a break from men's football next season. Don't know what the issue is - players and/or behaviour; doing the same teams for 12 years solid; general decline in standards (them or me); generally had enough or something else entirely - but the fun has gone out of it. Still enjoying the youth stuff so going to see the season out and just do youth in 2017-18 and see if I'm feeling any different this time next year.

First one back yesterday and just reinforced what I was feeling 6 weeks ago. It's definitely time for a break from men's football next season. Don't know what the issue is - players and/or behaviour; doing the same teams for 12 years solid; general decline in standards (them or me); generally had enough or something else entirely - but the fun has gone out of it. Still enjoying the youth stuff so going to see the season out and just do youth in 2017-18 and see if I'm feeling any different this time next year.
I know what you're saying Teasmaid, Refereeing is like getting drunk though, you have a bad night, feel really crappy in the morning, say never again and next week you're straight back on it.... Still need that catch up, not been down your parts for a while, i'm sure I will be soon though!!

I know what you're saying Teasmaid, Refereeing is like getting drunk though, you have a bad night, feel really crappy in the morning, say never again and next week you're straight back on it.... Still need that catch up, not been down your parts for a while, i'm sure I will be soon though!!

Oh absolutely but that was the point about the yoof games. Enjoying those much more than the Men's stuff. I canned Sunday men's two years ago and my refereeing enjoyment went up but this year it's just been so different. Seem to be appreciated more on the kids stuff and that's a real positive. I've less time to give up since the separation as well, with my daughter becoming the priority over football and simply, if it's no fun any more,why bother?

Back