A&H

First game completed, question though?

TewkesRef

Good evening all,

I have completed my first game in the middle this afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed it (although my legs will disagree tomorrow!) I think on the whole it went well but I have one question. I struggled to decide when two (sometimes 3) players are waiting for a high ball to drop whether one is pushing or the other is backing in? It looked 6 of one and half a dozen of the other so I allowed play to continue 95% of time. This seemed to really upset one player in particular.

Any advice would be great.

The Referee Store
Good evening all,

I have completed my first game in the middle this afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed it (although my legs will disagree tomorrow!) I think on the whole it went well but I have one question. I struggled to decide when two (sometimes 3) players are waiting for a high ball to drop whether one is pushing or the other is backing in? It looked 6 of one and half a dozen of the other so I allowed play to continue 95% of time. This seemed to really upset one player in particular.

Any advice would be great.

Yes, try to get an angle on play, normally meaning, get wider
What you prob saw, was down barrel of a gun, and as you found out, you can see nothing from there
Now imagine one of those high drop balls, and you have an angle.....now at least you give yourself a chance of seeing it.

Players will always call for a push in the back. Sometimes it's just a hand on the back and they hope you'll give it.

As above, get wide so you can see easily. You'll soon be able to spot the actual pushes.

With no assistants I regularly stand off the FOP at goal kicks and move in when needed after judging the drop zone.

Ive had a few scenarios recently where if I hadn't taken up that position I would have missed a foul / a touch for a throw

As with other replies positioning is key. What you are looking for is either an extension of the arm (a push) or a hold (normally you can see the fingers clenched with some shirt in their mitts).

What happens is players are jostling for position and they feel a hand in their back, and then appeal as it must be a foul in their mind.

2 key things for me, eyes and arms.

Eyes should be on the ball when challenging, not the opponent. Arms are self explanatory

Remember contact isn't a foul. 9 times out of 10 the player which doesn't win the ball will give you a shout of 'in the back ref!' or 'He was backing into me'.

I've also got into the habit of shouting 'keep your hands down!' on the first couple of goal kicks, corners etc just to let them know I'm watching

When you say get wide , do you mean literally out on the touch line if need be ?
It's not about distance. Its about the angle of view.

Draw an imaginary X in between the players like so. The X creates 4 areas.

1552293844503.png

If you are on the same areas as one of the players, you have the wrong angle. You can't see what is happening between them. If you are in one of the empty areas you have a good angle. The squarer you are the better the angle. On the line (as in the pic) is not ideal but better than being behind or in front.

The area on the left gives you an "external angle" and the one on the right an "internal angle". External angle (or also called getting wide) is better than internal angle as it allows you to see other things at the same time. These are general guidelines.

As for your OP question, players are entitled to challenge for space and use fair force to gain it. If it's 6 one way and half dozen the other, it doesn't sound like a foul from either but one way to control it is to shout "careful" or "steady" as you see it happening.

Back