A&H

First game handbook

DaleM

Got my first game at 5pm (u17s, a prime age for abuse from both parents and players I am sure!) and I'm starting to brick it a bit now. This is the 10th appointment I've had but with the weather I've yet to actually get one played - today's had been called off but they've managed to book a 4G pitch to get it on, 5pm under the floodlights, kindly put back to a later time so I can wind myself up about it all day :).

The good news is that it's been moved to a facility I've played on it before a fair few times so am aware where it is etc, should be comfortable getting there. The bad is that I've played on it before and it ruined my back after 60 mins (I'm only 21 ffs!) so that should be interesting.

Anyway, I thought as a result of my extended wait for my 'debut' I've been monitoring these forums closely and thought I'd collate some advice for my own benefit to give a read over today pre-game and help me not brick it. Then I thought I'd be best off posting it for the potential benefit of others. If you feel I've missed something or disagree please do debate - can only be helpful.

Night Before:

• Equipment check - Cards, whistle(s), boots, kit, flags, watches, coin, water. Night before where possible.
  • Confirm travel arrangements, be wary of deceptive Google Maps time estimates etc.
  • Try read a law of the game to settle your nerves and clarify any doubts you may have.
Pre-Arrival:
  • Fill in any relevant details of your match card you may wish to do before arrival.
  • Write offence codes on back of a match card (Still not familiar!).
  • Head off to arrive around 45-60 mins prior to kick-off.
  • Check competition rules.
  • Consider taking the law book. Could come in handy on the way home!
On Arrival:
  • Change in to warm-up gear, hang match gear up.
  • Introduce yourself to coaches, inform them equipment check will take place 5 mins prior to KO, check shirt colours & find captains' names (add to match card).
  • Collect teamsheets if relevant & add to match card if possible.
  • Check pitch, nets, ball, markings, corner flags.
  • Change into ref gear.
  • Perform equipment check - ask about how season has gone etc, use opportunity to briefly explain refereeing style. Note what CARs will be responsible for, distribute flag.
Kick-Off:
  • Distribute flags to CARs if you haven't during equpment check.
  • Quick word with captains, toss coin, winner chooses side :ninja:.
  • Set/start watches.
Post-Game:
  • Collect match fee.
  • Sign off result sheet (may just be my league).
  • Report game online.
  • Come on to this forum and tell everyone of the meltdown you had in the 29th minute, whereby you sent off a 12 year old for picking his nose before abandoning the game.
  • Check against the law book for any situations which you were uncertain on, draw on the expertise on here if you're still unsure!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I think you've got it pretty well covered! It sounds like having this list will help you focus on the match itself. Personally, I like to sort out the kit bag the night before. I don't fill in the notepad details until I get there, but I write the team name AND colour.

Don't bother explaining your refereeing style. Nobody cares. That little lecture will be utterly meaningless the moment you begin. Let them find out your refereeing style (besides, it's your first game.You don't have a refereeing style :D:D)

Personally, I like to double check the location the night before, and try to get a rough idea of how long it will take to arrive. And look at the actual path - some fields will take 1 hour plus for me to get to, whereas GPS/Google Maps will estimate half that.

I'm a big fan of encouraging new referees to revise the LOTG the night before each match. I would say pick a chapter and read both it and the additional advice, and look at a different one each week. I'd start with Law 12 then Law 11. It's amazing how easy it is to forget the laws once you're on the field when you're new and getting used to the authority and responsibility you have...

Although you did forget the most important post-game part....

.....letting us know how it all goes!!

good luck, in scotland your first game would be an under 12 or something like that you would be no where near u17 until you got some experience, before you blow your whistle for the captains,take a breath, nice strong blast on your whistle, let them know you are the boss,
remember to start your watch, you would be amased how many first game refs forget, lol buy another one tomorrow, always wear 2 watches. enjoy.
and when you make a mistake forget about it, concentrate on getting the next decision correct.

On an artificial pitch, be wary of turning up too early. There's likely to be something else going on on the pitch right up until your match! Also, in my experience, these type of facilities don't tend to have specific officials changing - just home/away - so you might want to turn up in your tracksuit with your kit on underneath.

Picking up on another couple of comments above: re @CapnBloodbeard - refresh your mind as to what the restarts are; remember hand in the air for IDFK's until the ball has touched another player. re @jofusref - "let them know you are the boss". It all comes down to confidence. Even if inside your heart is pounding and your head is a mess, bluff your way by being externally confident. Players will pick up on a lack of confidence (they are like animals and have a sixth sense for fear), and will chip away at you on decisions even more. Strong voice, solid whistle.

Most of all, go out there with the intent of enjoying the game yourself, and try not to worry too much - good luck!

Cheers for the advice, I've edited it a little to reflect the consensus thus far.

I've got myself two watches, been out to by astro trainers for it (set an example and all that) and have my gear on underneath my ridiculously oversized Wenger-style jacket I had from coaching. Think the prep above has really helped me - dunno if I'll start to brick it again shortly but I at least feel prepared and that's half the battle. What happens on the pitch happens, but may as well take control of what I can!

This technically isn't my first game refereeing. As part of NFA's course we were given a Newcastle Utd academy match to ref, I had U9's (Though that was a totally different kettle of fish - not one peep out a parent or player), and as for the past year I had been coaching, I'd done a half of U10's about 20 times (though due to the league's rules there was never any discipline etc and it was generally a very easy task) so I have an advantage of some experience in that regards. We'll see how handy it comes in eh! Will be on later to let you know how it went :)

Cheers for the advice, I've edited it a little to reflect the consensus thus far.

I've got myself two watches, been out to by astro trainers for it (set an example and all that) and have my gear on underneath my ridiculously oversized Wenger-style jacket I had from coaching. Think the prep above has really helped me - dunno if I'll start to brick it again shortly but I at least feel prepared and that's half the battle. What happens on the pitch happens, but may as well take control of what I can!

This technically isn't my first game refereeing. As part of NFA's course we were given a Newcastle Utd academy match to ref, I had U9's (Though that was a totally different kettle of fish - not one peep out a parent or player), and as for the past year I had been coaching, I'd done a half of U10's about 20 times (though due to the league's rules there was never any discipline etc and it was generally a very easy task) so I have an advantage of some experience in that regards. We'll see how handy it comes in eh! Will be on later to let you know how it went :)

How can league rules replace the LOTG?

How can league rules replace the LOTG?

There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to FA efforts in that particular league. Results were published & league tables available publicly. As for LOTG, players couldn't be sent off for example. Perhaps not a bad thing at that age but I think it was mainly done because literally no game at the central venue would have a proper ref, it was always a coach taking each half from U8s to U17s.

On to the game and prepare for an essay! I really enjoyed it though there were a few notable areas I'm well aware I should have done better in. Finished 4-3 with the away team scoring a last min goal that perhaps added to the incident that would put the only real dampner on my performance (I'll get on to that!).

It was a decent game played in the right spirits, very little in the way of dissent throughout, very little swearing. Any player treading the line when it came to dissent took their warning and stopped with only one exception in the final minute, so was pleased with how the players conducted themselves throughout and how it remained pretty well-controlled. I barely blew my whistle for a foul throughout, genuinely think there'd have been about 10 all game.

The biggest bugbear for myself was signalling for a corner v goal kick, throw-in home or throw-in away. In that aforementioned Newcastle Academy match, there were once or twice I signalled the wrong way before correcting myself. Today my signalling was much better in terms of getting it right first time, but having read the 'confidence breeds confidence' thing on here, I need to be more consistent in raising the arm quickly and stating who's ball it is in firm voice when I'm unsure who's ball it was. While I did that a few times and it worked, there were too many times I probably invited questioning by weakly putting my hand up when the CAR was unsure too. Strange how much that can make a difference.

Another annoyance was pre-match. While I got there in plenty of time, had a good chat with the away manager and a brief one with the home, I didn't get the home captain's name and didn't get the match ball. I went over to do an equipment check and ended up just speaking to the teams (don't know why given I'd been advised not to bother on here). Anyway, got the ball just after the talk with the two sides so no harm done there. Additionally I didn't actually instruct the CAR's to only signal for throw-ins, and rather than ignoring their calls, I ended up going with them which I obviously know better than (though it didn't have any effect).

The thing I was most pleased with were the advantages I played (Though I know from reading elsewhere Padfoot may not be happy to hear this!). I must have played 5-6 through the game, 3-4 of which led to great chances. I also pulled back 2-3 attempted advantages for a free-kick which were well-accepted.

Also quite happy I got all subs on with boot checks at the half-way line thanks to the pre-match chats - the CFA were pretty hot on that during my course a couple of months back.

On to the 'incident'. I'm annoyed somewhat because looking back there are probably multiple points where it could have been avoided, the first of which being the fact we played only 40 mins each way as the pitch could only be booked until 6:30pm. I wasn't told this by the home gaffer until what I had down as the 40th minute (around 5:45pm), allowing for pauses in the match - perhaps a lesson learnt for myself.

Anyway, from 2-2 at HT, the 2nd half got underway and it looked as though the game would end at 3-3. The home side launched a ball up long with 4 minutes to go (6:28pm), and in an attempt to clear their lines, an away defender clashed heads with his own 'keeper who had came to claim a ball, sending the 'keeper crashing to the deck. I immediately stopped play and called for assistance. I then, going from the CAR's decision, then brought the play for an offside anyway as opposed to what would have been a drop ball (correct me if I'm wrong please). The 'keeper had to be subbed, complaining of an issue with his back. By the time the shirt change etc was done, it was 6:32pm.

This is where it begins to get 'controversial'.

Given the stop in play I tell the teams it's the final minute (but didn't mention we were already over our alloted slot on the pitch). There wasn't actually anyone else waiting. The home side begin to complain - they smell blood with regards to the 'keeper as the defender who took the 'keeper out is now in goal. I tell them there's nothing I can do as our time will be up on this pitch - and it was their own manager that was concerned about the time about 40 mins earlier. Their argument that as no one is waiting, and as such I should play the added time.

Now looking back, I actually agree. It was pretty stupid of me not to use common sense and play the extra minutes from that delay.

But up goes the free-kick from that offside, and out it goes for a throw, and then another. At this point, I can see what is coming. The away side win a corner. They've had free headers all day long from corners, and have managed to put every one wide so far. In it goes and up pops a defender to head home the late winner.

I note down the final goal on the way back. The home team try to take kick off before I've blew my whistle to catch the 'keeper out, so I order a retake. Through this, their #10 is in my ear telling me I can't just pick and choose when to play added time etc, and as an earlier offender my patience had ran thin - he got my only caution of the game for dissent. Got the name, wrote it in the book, kicked off, let them shoot and as soon as the 'keeper has it under control I call full-time.

Now, to their credit all players & the managers shake my hand, though there are still 2-3 moaning of course! I go up to the far end of the pich to gather my drink and have what a good chat with one of the CAR's. On my way back down, with all back in the dressing rooms, I see a waterbottle, so pick it up and head to the changers to ask if anyone is missing it. The away side haven't stuck around. Go in to the home changers and it's 6-7 players at this point. To be fair to them they weren't bad about it, had a bit of a laugh with one welcoming me with a 'OOOOOH' and another with 'Not you again'. The lad I'd booked moaned again and I told him I understood his point of view but there wasn't much I could do now, and that I had them again in a fortnight so they had something nice to look forward to. After getting changed myself I saw em waiting at reception where I was told their hooligan fans would be waiting outside for me :p

Plenty to work on and a shame it ended like that, but I'm still fairly pleased with myself and as said, definitey enjoyed it. My back is now knackered and I'm already feeling it in the legs so work tomorrow should be fun!

There doesn't seem to be any attention paid to FA efforts in that particular league. Results were published & league tables available publicly. As for LOTG, players couldn't be sent off for example. Perhaps not a bad thing at that age but I think it was mainly done because literally no game at the central venue would have a proper ref, it was always a coach taking each half from U8s to U17s.

On to the game and prepare for an essay! I really enjoyed it though there were a few notable areas I'm well aware I should have done better in. Finished 4-3 with the away team scoring a last min goal that perhaps added to the incident that would put the only real dampner on my performance (I'll get on to that!).

It was a decent game played in the right spirits, very little in the way of dissent throughout, very little swearing. Any player treading the line when it came to dissent took their warning and stopped with only one exception in the final minute, so was pleased with how the players conducted themselves throughout and how it remained pretty well-controlled. I barely blew my whistle for a foul throughout, genuinely think there'd have been about 10 all game.

The biggest bugbear for myself was signalling for a corner v goal kick, throw-in home or throw-in away. In that aforementioned Newcastle Academy match, there were once or twice I signalled the wrong way before correcting myself. Today my signalling was much better in terms of getting it right first time, but having read the 'confidence breeds confidence' thing on here, I need to be more consistent in raising the arm quickly and stating who's ball it is in firm voice when I'm unsure who's ball it was. While I did that a few times and it worked, there were too many times I probably invited questioning by weakly putting my hand up when the CAR was unsure too. Strange how much that can make a difference.

Another annoyance was pre-match. While I got there in plenty of time, had a good chat with the away manager and a brief one with the home, I didn't get the home captain's name and didn't get the match ball. I went over to do an equipment check and ended up just speaking to the teams (don't know why given I'd been advised not to bother on here). Anyway, got the ball just after the talk with the two sides so no harm done there. Additionally I didn't actually instruct the CAR's to only signal for throw-ins, and rather than ignoring their calls, I ended up going with them which I obviously know better than (though it didn't have any effect).

The thing I was most pleased with were the advantages I played (Though I know from reading elsewhere Padfoot may not be happy to hear this!). I must have played 5-6 through the game, 3-4 of which led to great chances. I also pulled back 2-3 attempted advantages for a free-kick which were well-accepted.

Also quite happy I got all subs on with boot checks at the half-way line thanks to the pre-match chats - the CFA were pretty hot on that during my course a couple of months back.

On to the 'incident'. I'm annoyed somewhat because looking back there are probably multiple points where it could have been avoided, the first of which being the fact we played only 40 mins each way as the pitch could only be booked until 6:30pm. I wasn't told this by the home gaffer until what I had down as the 40th minute (around 5:45pm), allowing for pauses in the match - perhaps a lesson learnt for myself.

Anyway, from 2-2 at HT, the 2nd half got underway and it looked as though the game would end at 3-3. The home side launched a ball up long with 4 minutes to go (6:28pm), and in an attempt to clear their lines, an away defender clashed heads with his own 'keeper who had came to claim a ball, sending the 'keeper crashing to the deck. I immediately stopped play and called for assistance. I then, going from the CAR's decision, then brought the play for an offside anyway as opposed to what would have been a drop ball (correct me if I'm wrong please). The 'keeper had to be subbed, complaining of an issue with his back. By the time the shirt change etc was done, it was 6:32pm.

This is where it begins to get 'controversial'.

Given the stop in play I tell the teams it's the final minute (but didn't mention we were already over our alloted slot on the pitch). There wasn't actually anyone else waiting. The home side begin to complain - they smell blood with regards to the 'keeper as the defender who took the 'keeper out is now in goal. I tell them there's nothing I can do as our time will be up on this pitch - and it was their own manager that was concerned about the time about 40 mins earlier. Their argument that as no one is waiting, and as such I should play the added time.

Now looking back, I actually agree. It was pretty stupid of me not to use common sense and play the extra minutes from that delay.

But up goes the free-kick from that offside, and out it goes for a throw, and then another. At this point, I can see what is coming. The away side win a corner. They've had free headers all day long from corners, and have managed to put every one wide so far. In it goes and up pops a defender to head home the late winner.

I note down the final goal on the way back. The home team try to take kick off before I've blew my whistle to catch the 'keeper out, so I order a retake. Through this, their #10 is in my ear telling me I can't just pick and choose when to play added time etc, and as an earlier offender my patience had ran thin - he got my only caution of the game for dissent. Got the name, wrote it in the book, kicked off, let them shoot and as soon as the 'keeper has it under control I call full-time.

Now, to their credit all players & the managers shake my hand, though there are still 2-3 moaning of course! I go up to the far end of the pich to gather my drink and have what a good chat with one of the CAR's. On my way back down, with all back in the dressing rooms, I see a waterbottle, so pick it up and head to the changers to ask if anyone is missing it. The away side haven't stuck around. Go in to the home changers and it's 6-7 players at this point. To be fair to them they weren't bad about it, had a bit of a laugh with one welcoming me with a 'OOOOOH' and another with 'Not you again'. The lad I'd booked moaned again and I told him I understood his point of view but there wasn't much I could do now, and that I had them again in a fortnight so they had something nice to look forward to. After getting changed myself I saw em waiting at reception where I was told their hooligan fans would be waiting outside for me :p

Plenty to work on and a shame it ended like that, but I'm still fairly pleased with myself and as said, definitey enjoyed it. My back is now knackered and I'm already feeling it in the legs so work tomorrow should be fun!

Good to hear it went mostly ok, and that at the end is a situation that you won't face very often.
Note for the future: Avoid going in to any changing room other than your own after a game. Unlikely to be anything positive to come from it.

On an artificial pitch, be wary of turning up too early. There's likely to be something else going on on the pitch right up until your match! Also, in my experience, these type of facilities don't tend to have specific officials changing - just home/away - so you might want to turn up in your tracksuit with your kit on underneath.

Personally, I like turning up early enough to watch a bit of the game before. It helps put me into refereeing mode and helps me relax a bit as well.

If a proper 4G I'd rather wear moulds, some places may even stop you wearing astros as they flatten the surface.

Good to hear it went mostly ok, and that at the end is a situation that you won't face very often.
Note for the future: Avoid going in to any changing room other than your own after a game. Unlikely to be anything positive to come from it.

Cheers. Fair point on the changing rooms.

Personally, I like turning up early enough to watch a bit of the game before. It helps put me into refereeing mode and helps me relax a bit as well.

Yeah, was glad to get there early. As predicted there was a game beforehand but it did help watching a bit of it, in fact on my return to the changers after it I had a good chat with an older ref who'd just taken charge of that match.

If a proper 4G I'd rather wear moulds, some places may even stop you wearing astros as they flatten the surface.

Didn't realise that but grateful I did having played on that pitch in moulds before, my back is far better today than it was the last time I played on it. Same can't be said for the legs, mind!

Back