A&H

First Game - in the deep end

HalfDecentRef

Okay, so I’m 20 years old and starting reffing as a recommendation from my uncle. He’s been at it for at least 10 years. Anyway, I’ve been kind of thrown in at the deep end. I’m reffing open age straight away, this Sunday. The lads have been made aware I’m a trainee, but to be honest I wished I gave it a miss and reffed a youth game. This game is for a club that is listed on Wikipedia for goodness sake. Anyway, any advice? My uncle has offered to swap at half time if things go pear shaped.

The Referee Store
Okay, so I’m 20 years old and starting reffing as a recommendation from my uncle. He’s been at it for at least 10 years. Anyway, I’ve been kind of thrown in at the deep end. I’m reffing open age straight away, this Sunday. The lads have been made aware I’m a trainee, but to be honest I wished I gave it a miss and reffed a youth game. This game is for a club that is listed on Wikipedia for goodness sake. Anyway, any advice? My uncle has offered to swap at half time if things go pear shaped.
Nerves are compulsory... They show that you want to do well, whilst mirroring how good you'll feel afterwards

Your first game will be tough but I hope you don't let your uncle take over at half time.
Accept that you will make mistakes just like Sunday footballers will miss shots. Get the basics set in your head beforehand - I get hung up on pre match stuff like timekeeping so get to the ground reasonably early to do pitch inspection etc.
Don't be intimidated and feel free to use the sin bin from the off.

Having a game that can easily go pear shaped to start with is not a bad ideas as long as it doesn't make you quit straight after. I know many who have started with a tough game and siad this isn't for me at the end of it.

Although things can go very well, be prepared that it could also go south and if that happens, it doesn't mean refereeing is not for you, it means it probably wasn't a good idea to start with that game.

I’ve only done about 40 games, and still get nervous before. In fact, the game I was most relaxed about, was the most difficult! Also, youth games can be tricky with parents as well, so don’t look at it, as a tough game. You’re uncle will be great moral support.

I didn't have the luxury of sin bins but I'm sure I could have filled those benches good and proper!! I had 2 reds in the first half of my first ever OA game, It was a breeze from then on!!! Let them fear you!!!

I didn't have the luxury of sin bins but I'm sure I could have filled those benches good and proper!! I had 2 reds in the first half of my first ever OA game, It was a breeze from then on!!! Let them fear you!!!

I had 2 straight reds in the second half of my first OA game, VC then OFFINABUS as I was heading away from the VC incident once I'd sorted all that.

Good luck OP, don't get disheartened if it doesn't go to plan etc, honestly, keep at it.

I've only been reffing just over a year (not season), and you do have to take the rough with the smooth, but the smooth outweighs the rough imo.

Also remember things said on the pitch, emotions etc aren't personal towards you, its in the heat of the moment, in the game. Things that are personal or blow up, card accordingly etc, but at the end it's all handshakes and good game, even when you're not feeling great.

Enjoy!

I'll make a prediction;
Your uncle will play no part in the game, except for some advice at HT :)

One thing you could practice beforehand is blowing the whistle. It’s only a whistle, right? Use your tongue. Get used to blowing it hard, soft, quick and double beep. Confidence is everything. Enjoy.

A tip for OA... don’t get trapped explaining too much. ”We saw different” ”I didn’t see it, sorry” ”In my opinion it was reckless not careless”. Short and sweet. If you find yourself explaining more than that it’s probably because the players are actually subtly arguing with low level dissent;)

Doesn't matter if they're listed in the doomsday book it's just a team of ignorant players.
Go out there, smile, apply the laws to the best of your ability and remember to try and enjoy it. Good luck.

I'm sure we all remember our first game and we all survived haha.

Try not to over think things, make a decision and keep going. Give it your best shot and the players will probably be greatful that your doing your best even though in the heat of the moment it may seem like they would carve you up into 22 equal pieces 😁

Good luck mate and enjoy your game 💪⚽

Back