A&H

First game with a mentor

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
Had a game today and at the end had someone approach me saying he was my mentor. He said my appearance was poor as my shirt wasn't tucked in which is fair enough as I know mentors like it tucked in. He said I shouldn't blow my whistle for corners or free kicks and let the players get on with it themselves. Also I need to slow down my cautioning process as he said I was too quick with getting the names and then showing the card. He said he thought I had a good game and looked perplexed when I told him that I got a 0 from away team. Onto next week taking his comments on board

The Referee Store
He said I shouldn't blow my whistle for corners or free kicks and let the players get on with it themselves.

That's one thing that seemed to really stand out for me when I did the ref course was not to overuse the whistle, as we were told. Just let players get on with the kicks, especially if it's a draw or in first half for example, when there's not a big issue with time wasting. Maybe say 'when you're ready' player as a bit of encouragement, and arm motion in the air as if you're waving them forward, but if the whistle is used a lot, unnecessarily at times, it can lose its meaning, to a degree.

It also shows communication in a friendlier way, whistles are quite harsh and blunt, for a reason.

Had a game today and at the end had someone approach me saying he was my mentor. He said my appearance was poor as my shirt wasn't tucked in which is fair enough as I know mentors like it tucked in. He said I shouldn't blow my whistle for corners or free kicks and let the players get on with it themselves. Also I need to slow down my cautioning process as he said I was too quick with getting the names and then showing the card. He said he thought I had a good game and looked perplexed when I told him that I got a 0 from away team. Onto next week taking his comments on board
Can we pls not go there with the shirts.

Sounds sensible advice. Whistling too much gets players backs up. You dont need to whistle all restarts. If you have a look in the back of the book it lists all restarts that need a whistle..anything else use body language and voice.

Also good advice on the cautioning technique. If you are cautioning a foul tackle then there is a chance there is at least one other unhappy player. Taking your time gives them the chance to count to ten and calm down before play resumes. Reducing the chances of another bad tackle straight after and the game going south

I mentioned about a year ago Mark Clattenburg blew to restart on every corner
I would say to the mentor if its good enough for him, then its good enough for you
I have noticed Oliver doing it too of late
I personally don't see the need but those 2 guys know a bit more than me.

but if the whistle is used a lot, unnecessarily at times, it can lose its meaning, to a degree.

Yep. See a lot of new referees blow once for the foul, twice to bring the player over. Sometimes three and four times as they're walking to the player. It never helps.

I'm confused, why would a mentor only approach you at the end of the game? He should be in contact in the days before, speak to you before the game and at half time as well. Did you even know you had a mentor?

Just a thought, perhaps to see how he was in as natural a setting as possible i.e. no risk he changes anything in his game to impress?

I'm confused, why would a mentor only approach you at the end of the game? He should be in contact in the days before, speak to you before the game and at half time as well. Did you even know you had a mentor?
Well I was told I was getting one by county fa in October but nothing happens til today

Given the past games reports from Joe on here, I suspect he was more of a stealth inspector :) and did some mentoring at the end.

Whistle tone is also important a careless foul quick peep and the louder and longer it gets for more serious offences. I use a big thumbs up to signal to a player I am ready or a quick when your ready blues unless I have stated it is on my whistle. I have pulled back many a free kick when I have shouted on my whistle and then the FK has been taken before my whistle has made it any where close to my mouth. Rinse that mentor for all his knowledge as he will soon be on to some one else. A great oppurtunity for you Joe. As for the shirt....................................!

On that note, I stopped using "when you are ready" a long time ago after a crafty player taking advantage of me giving him the option of not taking the kick straight away to waste time. My go to phrase is "let's go" now. It's not as friendly but it doesn't give them an option of not taking it because "he is not ready yet".

On that note, I stopped using "when you are ready" a long time ago after a crafty player taking advantage of me giving him the option of not taking the kick straight away to waste time. My go to phrase is "let's go" now. It's not as friendly but it doesn't give them an option of not taking it because "he is not ready yet".

That's when, after a few seconds, you shout something like "on my whistle" and blow the whistle.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Not had to yet, mind.

one of the things I got picked up on for my 5-4 advisory was not to use "When you're ready" for exactly that reason. I was told to use "Lets Go" instead.

Reactions: one
one of the things I got picked up on for my 5-4 advisory was not to use "When you're ready" for exactly that reason. I was told to use "Lets Go" instead.
Some of these observers do spout some nonsense
It's like secret tick boxes are invented to justify a criteria for promotion (and their own 'expertise'). Pedantic babble just doesn't do it for me

Back