A&H

First game with AR’s

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
I’ve been assigned to a cup semi final and been assigned 2 AR’s. I know I should really give a pre match briefing but what sort of thing would you say? Is it just a case of telling them what I want from them i.e obvious fouls and foul throws?

The Referee Store
Go over the 'zones' and your methods of communication really. Ensure you both know what to do if you're at cross-purposes or if you both aren't sure of which decision to make.

Other than that, I always try and keep everything light hearted, you're there to do a job, but it is also good to have fun. :)

If its your first time they you are bound to miss some flags especially for offside. Make sure you cover what you what them to do if you miss their flag. My instruction for that is, keep the flag up and try and get my attention by voice. If the defending team clearly gets control of the ball with no pressure, you can drop the flag and get on with the game.

Try to look to your assistant just after the ball is played, then again as the player receives it. That way you shouldn't miss any offside flag.

Sorry, just to be clear I’ve had CAR’s in every game but this is the first with assigned AR’s so spotting offside isn’t an issue

Sorry, just to be clear I’ve had CAR’s in every game but this is the first with assigned AR’s so spotting offside isn’t an issue

I don't normally work with ARs but when I do find the biggest challenge is to remember that the are there and look for the signal. If you're used to CARs you will probably have the habit of looking towards them for a signal.

Agreed with all the above - but don't forget to use them as proper referees as well. I've only done a few games with NAR's, but in one of the first, I disallowed a goal for a handball I wasn't 100% sure on after an attacker blocked a clearance from the GK, only to have my AR tell me that it clearly looked like it wasn't a handball from his opinion, and that I should have checked with him and he would have advised giving the goal. With club AR's, you'd never let them near that decision, but it didn't even occur to me to think about asking him as I wasn't used to having other ref's to help.

Back