A&H

First games in the bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degnann

As incompetent as the last ref
Level 4 Referee
Done my first 2 11 a side games today. Just wanting to post with some self reflection and potential advice.

First game was 2008 age group, second was 2007.

Game 1
All in all no major troubles with this game. Young boys so lots of mouth. Ref this and ref that and giving it to each other.
Only reflection on my part was yellow score and during celebration one yellow gives the fingers to the blue team.
There was no reaction from either team with this but I did YC him. Should this have been a red, under the offensive part of OFFINABUS?
Games were in Glasgow where I was born and raised so maybe its just the glaswegian in me but you give it as good as you get it.

Game 2
Better quality football as expected with the older age group.
Few points from this game.
Penalty to blues in the second half, during me pointing to the spot and running to give the pen, I lost track of who made the challenge to YC. In my defense they all look the same. I produced a YC to one player who claimed it wasn't him and the offending player did own up but any tips on how to track this?

Late on in the game, orange captain slides in and gets the ball but I blow for a free kick as the speed at which he won the ball to me was excessive, studs were also up. On the giving of the free kick. Bit of dissent from him as he's not happy its a free kick as to him he got the ball. Pulled him over and explained "its how you won the ball, excessive speed and studs up" I also book him for dissent in the awarding. Again, based on the information would you have done differently?

The one thing I haven't learn yet is what to say to players when you pull them to one side to tell them to calm down or explaining decsions.

Overall looking forward to my next games already.

The Referee Store
can't say it caused me any issues by not doing it. Honestly I think it may have caused more issues on this occasion
Disagree, mate. It's wrong that the player does this, has you see him, and do nothing. No hassles this time, but next time it may all kick off. You can't turn a blind eye, whether you're from the area and think it's in the category of 'banter' somehow. Send him off (or, if he's U12, have the manager remove him) and he doesn't, we would hope, do it again. Otherwise, by not acting, you're creating acceptance of inappropriate behaviour in young players.

Agree with others on the finger flip unless it is done as banter and taken that way, that is no offensiveness meant or take.

Penalty: what was the caution for? I have a feeling no card was needed.
Focus and concentration is the key not to miss the player. It also happens when you play advantage for a reckless tackle but when you go back to card, you forget who it was. One technique is to stare
at the offender for 2-3 seconds immediately after the whistle instead of looking at the spot. In the case of advantage scenario I point at the player for a couple of seconds. That way he know I am coming back to him.

Don't use the word excessive for cautions. The word implies a send off. What to tell players comes easier with more games and practice. Read the laws a bit more to learn the right terminology and the reason behind decision.
(On the weekend I gave a free kick. "What was that for ref?", "Do you want the technical term?", "Yeah why not." "Impeding the progress of an opponent with contact." Smile all around.)

Well done in the self reflection.

Agree with others on the finger flip unless it is done as banter and taken that way, that is no offensiveness meant or take.

Focus and concentration is the key not to miss the player. It also happens when you play advantage for a reckless tackle but when you go back to card, you forget who it was. One technique is to stare
at the offender for 2-3 seconds immediately after the whistle instead of looking at the spot. In the case of advantage scenario I point at the player for a couple of seconds. That way he know I am coming back to him.

Don't use the word excessive for cautions. The word implies a send off. What to tell players comes easier with more games and practice. Read the laws a bit more to learn the right terminology and the reason behind decision.
(On the weekend I gave a free kick. "What was that for ref?", "Do you want the technical term?", "Yeah why not." "Impeding the progress of an opponent with contact." Smile all around.)

YC was for DOGSO but there was an attempt for the ball.

yeah I agree with my use of language.

i appreciate the tips and will take them on board

Reactions: one

I do something similar, except I call out the players number. By verbally saying it, it sticks in the mind and very easy to call back to.

I do something similar, except I call out the players number. By verbally saying it, it sticks in the mind and very easy to call back to.

I also do this as well. For example, I would say something like "I'll come back for you, #5" or "#6, it's a yellow." Basically, just saying something that lets the player and others know a card is forthcoming.

Recognizing persistence is one of the things I know I don't do so well. For me, making sure I get a good look at the player committing the foul and identifying a characteristic (number, hair color, shoe color, etc.) helps me. If I'm using comms, I'll also ask my assistants to help me with this. If one of them says, "Hey, that's #7's third foul this half", I'll definitely make sure I find #7 and tell him/her that we are to the point where additional fouls may result in a caution. If I know the player is near persistence with a foul, I'll make it clear to that player we can't have any more of that.

As for the middle finger, I don't see how I would have anything other than a send off. That signal is universal, and it's extremely public. If I caution that, I've just given the other 21 players license to give someone else the one-finger salute one time.

I also do this as well. For example, I would say something like "I'll come back for you, #5" or "#6, it's a yellow." Basically, just saying something that lets the player and others know a card is forthcoming.

Recognizing persistence is one of the things I know I don't do so well. For me, making sure I get a good look at the player committing the foul and identifying a characteristic (number, hair color, shoe color, etc.) helps me. If I'm using comms, I'll also ask my assistants to help me with this. If one of them says, "Hey, that's #7's third foul this half", I'll definitely make sure I find #7 and tell him/her that we are to the point where additional fouls may result in a caution. If I know the player is near persistence with a foul, I'll make it clear to that player we can't have any more of that.

As for the middle finger, I don't see how I would have anything other than a send off. That signal is universal, and it's extremely public. If I caution that, I've just given the other 21 players license to give someone else the one-finger salute one time.
I've historically been poor at persistent too. However, on 3 separate occasions I managed to prevent persistent cautions with a chat at the weekend. Not sure what I did differently if anything but I was happy I managed to identify and positively deal with players flirting with persistent

Agree that saying it out loud will help, and I'll shout it out loud to help "coming back to you number 3".

Had to learn the hard way after a supply league observer astutely pointed out that the player who had committed the offence was black and the player I went back to caution after the advantage was white :redcard:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back