A&H

First match as AR

Dogbert

Level 7 Referee
Hi everyone, I've got my first line next week. Any tips? Anything a newbie might not think of and then regret!

The Referee Store
Hopefully the ref will contact you prior to the game to say what time they want you to arrive at the ground and also if they want you to arrive smartly dressed.

Listen carefully to their instructions and undertake what they ask of you - e.g. you may do jewellery check of one of the teams.

Don't be like me in my first AR game where I saw a blatant foul behind the ref and kept quiet. You're a qualified ref so can recognise a foul and assist the referee. It will help his match control if you advise him clearly and concisely of what you saw so he can make a decision on any necessary sanction

Unless you have a 4th official one of the ARs will be judged as senior and be on the side of the pitch with dugouts and help control substitutes. So make sure you have notepad and pencil (I take my full equipment as well - whistle and watches as you may have to step in if there is an injury)

You may want to clarify their tolerance of fouls but you'll probably get an idea within the first 10 minutes of the game anyway.

Take flags.
And jelly babies.

A few hints on flagging:
  • As an AR, always plant your feet before signalling
  • Many new ARs don't hold signals long enough; I've told ARs with this issue to do an internal three-count to make sure they hold it (and it can make sense to hold longer)
  • You want the flag to be an extension of your arm; a good way to make that happen is to hold the flag with your index finger down the post, not in your fist
  • when not signalling, you want to keep the flag as still as possible; when running to keep with play, down and as still as possible--if you pump your arms with the flag in it, the R may think its a signal and whistle
It's a different kind of concentration to be an AR. Think about team work and regular eye contact with your R.

Learn the basic signals, that's all the R will expect from you for your first game as an AR. I had an AR earlier this season who didn't know the correct way to signal for throw ins and offside. Waved his flag (like when giving a free kick) on every throw in and had the flag pointing towards the ground when indicating which way the throw in was. When giving offsides he waves his flag and then walked away!

Nice lad and he got all the decisions correct, but he hadn't bothered to learn the basic signals. I gave him some friendly advice on what he needs to learn as this wasn't even his 1st game an an AR.

You've probably learnt the basic signals. You should also know that you must stand on the intersection of the 18 yard line/goal line for pens.

Not something you'll learn straight away but keep the flag in your hand closest to the referee when walking and in then left when crabbing (that's how I do it anyway but other more experienced and better refs may advise differently).

The MOST important thing is to listen to the refs instructions pre match and watch the other AR when the ball is on his/her side. Watch how he/she flags, how they give signals, how they switch hands etc. Within 5 games you'll be a competent AR imo. You'll certainly feel competent after 5 games. Once you've got it, you've got it and you'll only improve from there

Not something you'll learn straight away but keep the flag in your hand closest to the referee when walking and in then left when crabbing (that's how I do it anyway but other more experienced and better refs may advise differently).

This is the clear instruction in the US as well. I think it is the best practice unless instructed otherwise.

(In some parts of the world, at least at top levels, ARs switch the flag to the right hand when crabbing from the 18 to the goal line. The theory is that most flags in that part of the field will use that hand. I've always though that was a solution in search of a problem--if anything the delay in moving from left to right is a brief moment to reconsider. I would absolutely not recommend the swap to the right hand for new referees--and I'm glad the US has not adopted it as standard procedure.)

I think most things have been covered, but on holding the flag:

1. For offsides, goal kicks and corners signal with your arm closest to the goal line.

2. Make sure when you signal for fouls and throw ins, that you have the flag in the correct hand before you signal. It's a small thing, but it just looks a bit untidy when you see ARs flagging for a foul and then switching to the correct hand over their head etc.

3. As above, if for example you signal for a defensive throw and the referee over rules you and says it is an attacking throw lower the flag, change hands then signal.

Other than that, don't be afraid to tell the referee and other AR that it is your first game, and don't be afraid to ask for pointers/tips/feedback at half time and after the game.

We all have to start somewhere and no one will mind helping you out.

Read the relevant section in law 6 about ARs but more importantly read the section in the back of the book about AR communication and teamwork (pages 197 and 208 pdf). Very useful stuff there.

Make sure your signals are strong, nothing worse than weak signals, makes the AR look like he can't be bothered and that he is unsure. Players and officials will pounce on that. Try not to ball watch, being AR can be much more difficult than being in the middle, getting your head around staying in line with the second to last defender, watching for fouls, off-sides and throw ins takes a great deal of concentration.

Good luck and make sure you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the replies - really, really helpful, appreciate it. Looks like I need to go buy some sweets...

Back