Refs honesty is questioned for 90 mins.
"are your eyes painted on?"
"your giving us nothing"
"two teams on park ref"
"you got a blue shirt on ref?"
"same as last time, giving us f all "
"are we not getting a foul today"
"hows that a booking for us and not for them"

and so on...all accusations that you are favouring one over the other (cheating)
I know but i'm referring to the explicit use of the C word not the other stuff. Once you express this verbally there's no going back.

I know but i'm referring to the explicit use of the C word not the other stuff. Once you express this verbally there's no going back.

In none of my examples, he has not called you a cheat, merely implied it
In the OP of "I dont like being cheated" he has again, not called you a cheat merely implied it ?

In none of my examples, he has not called you a cheat, merely implied it
In the OP of "I dont like being cheated" he has again, not called you a cheat merely implied it ?
Exactly - it's hard pinning down a solid red for this but as soon as the player uses the C word he's said it so he's off.

Are we really calling cheating "the c word"? If any calls me the actual c word they walk

I am with Ciley on this one... unless they outright call me a cheat then I can live with it.

Half the time they are saying it to get a reaction anyway. Just ignore it, or say something stupid like, "course mate, I am dog and ducks biggest fan. Follow them all over the country."

I think the word I should have used 10 posts ago is context.

Nail on head JamesL. I have also said similar, along with, "tbh without looking at the team lines, I don't even know who is playing, its just green v white for me sorry"

Point still remains, prevention is better than the cure here. If you linger around a crime scene, you become a suspect...

No problem at all with the red card here, and hopefully they throw the book for his behaviour following the red card.

When people talk about selling the decision they really mean how many had heard it. If he's screamed it across the pitch no selling is needed as everyone knows what it is for, whereas if he has had a quiet word as he walked past it needs selling as potentially you are the only one who has heard what he said. You can of course still send off, but you will be surprising people and that doesn't always end well for your match control, plus observer and club marks.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Because it was said directly after my decision I took it as him calling me a cheat. Some of the home players came up afterwards and said they agreed but most of the time they'll say that.

Looking back on it and taking the advice given I could have left it and had a word with him a little later on when he was a little calmer.

Every match holds a new lesson, on to next weeks!

True story, and I have a link to it somewhere.....

Reffed a game say 10 year ago, semi pro, 500 folk etc, anyway, one team full of ex pros, very experienced, other team, new, young fresh
Anyway, around 75 mins, I gave a simple routine tap on leg foul against one of the elder statesmen, no reason for me to be right on top of it, so, lets say I was 20/25 yards away...
As I had blown, very loud shout of "F-ing cheat ref".... at which all you hear in the clip is a collective "he cant speak to u like that ref" from the crowd and so on...... Now, I had reffed him tons and as mouthy as he could be, this took me by surprise, however, I marched over, said "XXXX, you cant speak to me like that" and produced a red card...
Only the player really protested, he was like, come on, I would not say that etc....turns out, what he said was "f-ing CHEAP ref", as in, the player who was fouled went down very easy......
We had an amicable chat in lounge after it and I said, look, its entirely possible now that I misheard, however think about it, am giving a foul against you and all I hear is the words "cheat" and "ref" , what is anybody meant to think??
To which he understood. Upon playing it back, its unclear as to whether its "cheap" or "cheat", and I don't know or care if he appealed the card, I was certainly never asked for input anyway

then 3 summer ago I reffed in a kids summer tournament and this unknown kid came over to speak to me before a game, and simply said " my dad says am not to call you a cheat" and smiled......and when I looked across, there was XXXX. All good fun.

If a player used the C word against the CAR or neutral AR i see it as the same a speaking to me. How odd.

You’d send off a Player if they called the CAR a cheat? I know they are technically part of the refereeing team, but there’s no gaurentee they aren’t actually cheating when they are literally just a player with a flag who’s just doing it because league rules tell them they have to

It's like the old joke that you cant send a player off for thinking something, then player says 'Ref, I think you're a cheat'!!! :poop:

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Because it was said directly after my decision I took it as him calling me a cheat. Some of the home players came up afterwards and said they agreed but most of the time they'll say that.

Looking back on it and taking the advice given I could have left it and had a word with him a little later on when he was a little calmer.

Every match holds a new lesson, on to next weeks!
No one here knows the complete context but you. OFFINABUS is less about the words used and more about if you were offended, insulted.... More threads on that so wont go there. If you were offended, then red card is the right course of action. If you send him of because he used the C word but you were not offended then you were wrong.

Note in my previous post I used the words 'avoidable' and 'escalation'. Once you are offended and if you don't give a red, you have not applied the laws of the game. You can't call that avoiding escalation. Escalation started from the moment you called offsite. Again YHTBT (you have to be there) but here is my general line of thought. you said he swore in frustration. He just stuffed up a good chance by being in an offside position. The last thing a heavily frustrated player needs is for everyone's attention to be brought to him. You were not going to card him for swearing in frustration. Calling him over to have a 'public' chat was the wrong course of action IMO. Several second later, on the run, in his earshot, "please mind the language", then go past him. No chance for him to respond. Of course this is all in hindsight.

Having said that, sometimes all players need to see you deal with swearing, even in frustration. A loud "mind your language please" to the offender from 20 yards away does the job. Sometimes a loud generic warning to everyone. Assessing how to deal with these and what response is the best is different with every context and comes with experience.

In the right circumstances only, a public dressing down of a player (with captain and possibly coach involved) is an option. But only if the ref is capable of leaving the player in no doubt as to whose in charge

Some people here might feel this is a bit harsh, but with the implication of it, I would say a red is a fair decision.

If the player was sort of grumbling under his breath, I'd be inclined to take a softer approach. If he's run up to you screaming in your face, then that's a red all day.

The important thing to remember with OFFINABUS is context as well. For example, a team mate calling his player a daft c*** can either mean two things. It could be a bit of friendly banter or it could be a Lee Bowyer and Keiron Dyer type situation.

Again, context is important, read the situation in front of you and decide what action you need to take.

Back