A&H

Junior/Youth First season, First game - I didn't want to be the one who....

So my first game after passing my course is a local youth league game. I'd been a volunteer referee in m son's 10 and 11 year old small-sided football games so had some experience there. but they have no cards, no penalties, no offside etc.
I was assigned my first game about a month ago. It was toward the end of our season here in Australia so these teams only had about 3 more games to play. The home team hasn't won a game all season.
Before kick off there was a lot of faffing around as usual by kids this age (I have one, so I know!) thereby delaying kick off. First the keepers boots and soles have come apart, so they're frantically using duct tape to put them back together. Then when he is finally all sorted out, another one is going through his kit bag looking for something. The manager comes over and says, 'Sorry ref I should've let you know. This young lad is deaf and wears one of those Cochlear implants. He has to wear a headband over it to make sure it stays in'.
I asked if he is OK with headers etc and is there anything I should look out for. No no, all fine. He may not hear some calls during play but the whistle isn't a problem.
So the winless home team are doing most of the defending but go 2-0 up via a breakaway and then a miracle cross that was caught by the wind and found the top corner. There was about 10 minutes to go when one of the away team is on the edge of the box and gets around the boy with the headband and is one-on-one with the keeper about to shoot from 10 yards out. Headband tries a very crude tackle and barges into the back of him, sending him face first into the mud. A clear DOGSO and an easy decision for a penalty in my first match. I made sure the attacker was OK first before deciding how I'd deal with the other lad. So I called him over and he couldn't believe I'd given a penalty and thought he'd done nothing at all wrong. Then I think the combination that he's cost his team a penalty and the fact they were just hanging on for their first win all season has caused tears to well up in his eyes. I honestly thought he was about to burst into tears.
I didn't have the heart to give him a red, and even a yellow might tip him over the emotional edge and ruin the game for him. So I gave him the 'stern talking to' and let it go. I didn't want to be known as 'The ref that sent off the deaf kid in his first match'!!
They went on to win the match 2-1. I went to explain the decision to the away team manager and he was fine with it (relief) and the home manager obviously thought it was a good decision.
So did I let heart get in the way of head? Yes probably. Can I live with the decision? Yes I can.
Certainly a memorable first game.

The Referee Store
Back