A&H

First video assessment - what did you learn?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
I just had 4 days with games, in the middle I had two consecutive days with video assessment. 6th season and it was my first time. Very revealing.

Before I spout on about my trials and tribs, do you remember what you learned from your video?

The Referee Store
What do you mean by video assessment? Do you mean that the game was filmed and you've now watched it, or assessors / observers where you are film the game and use this for the report?

I had one game in the middle televised, but hardly anything happened so I learnt very little. I've seen myself referee a few times when clubs have filmed it, but they tend to focus on the players so with just one camera it isn't easy to spot me most of the time. Lets me see if I got decisions correct (which I didn't always) but not usually helpful for things like positioning.

So that is very different then, as presumably the assessor filming it will focus on the referee rather than just the play. I can definitely see how that would be beneficial as any developmental advice could be backed up with video evidence.

Never been properly assessed / observed by video. However my Supply League game was videoed on Saturday and it's been pretty illuminating (and reassuring!) re-watching the whole 90 minutes. Picked up clear pointers on Positioning (especially at free kicks), Communication (use of body language when 'having words' with players) and Nose Scratching (ridiculous number of times I do that in a game ... who knew?!?)

So, I had, well, best described as a crack assessment team for two tournament games on consecutive days. I also had brilliant academy ARs in the first more difficult game. There were 4 other refs also getting the video treatment, all more experienced than me and all better than me - certainly on this showing.

Basically I tanked. I was overly officious, fidgety, fought the wrong battles, made some howlers and interfered too much. I didn't even do basic free kick mgmt properly. The good part is that it was easy to identify one trait that is an instant tell versus better refs - I am often doing 2-3 things at once - gesturing this, while walking, a saying something, possibly to no-one in particular. It just looks odd and unnecessary and is sooo easy to spot on video!

The errors were really annoying. I think I misjudged the teams, new job week, a bit nervous with my peers and wanting to make an impression - and it went south in the first game. A poor advantage, a shirt pull the wrong way, a phantom foul late whistle on the touchline, a painful rake not seen but heard and not given, a quick free quick from the wrong place leading to goal, a soft yellow for a player with champions league experience! The whole package was - argh! Normally I have 2-3 decisions a game I would question, maybe soft or missed... but here I am over 10 well, mistakes. The second game was better, and I already tried to cut down on the mixed signals but I started with a bad foul decision which of course made match control an uphill battle. In the end, in these two games I was not a smart referee. Picture me, 5 mins in, trying to get an offside IDFK taken a few m closer to the active point, 20 m from the AR's flag... totally pointless... wrong battle, in front of the promotion committee! Nooo!

Other little things, how to head off players for warnings/sanctions by predicting where they will retreat.
Even though I anticipate and move a lot, fast, there are still some times when I pause as e.g. the shallow ball is played when I should take an extra 10m run.

But back to the positives... I don't think vASS would have necessarily helped me after 2-3 years as I didn't have it remotely together. But now, in year 6, I have the tools let's say, and it has helped me understand how I need to focus and calmly do one thing at a time - and not overly interfere. It's like, in the last few years, communication with players has grown and grown and been the thing - but now it's too much. Leave them alone until you have to.

The video showed how I was, well, too droning - I was active in too constant a way - so when I did need to do something sharp, stage a warning or interfere it wasn't an effective peak. I also don't do the peaks sharp enough - not enough edge in the body language etc at the right time. I'm naturally a shy lank and feel 10 years younger and more naive than the players even though I'm 10 years older most of the time - so I'm method acting!

So yeah... awesome but approach with caution!

@santa sangria , that's a tremendously candid self assessment. Whilst a tough experience, can really see how that might jump forward your development. You now know what you didn't know before!!

I'm sure we would all see more mistakes on video than we were aware of in the moment. And 'only' 6 years in you'd still expect the learning curve to be steep, especially if you're now getting bigger, faster games.

So chin up, chest forward. And blow them away next weekend!!

So, I had, well, best described as a crack assessment team for two tournament games on consecutive days. I also had brilliant academy ARs in the first more difficult game. There were 4 other refs also getting the video treatment, all more experienced than me and all better than me - certainly on this showing.

Basically I tanked. I was overly officious, fidgety, fought the wrong battles, made some howlers and interfered too much. I didn't even do basic free kick mgmt properly. The good part is that it was easy to identify one trait that is an instant tell versus better refs - I am often doing 2-3 things at once - gesturing this, while walking, a saying something, possibly to no-one in particular. It just looks odd and unnecessary and is sooo easy to spot on video!

The errors were really annoying. I think I misjudged the teams, new job week, a bit nervous with my peers and wanting to make an impression - and it went south in the first game. A poor advantage, a shirt pull the wrong way, a phantom foul late whistle on the touchline, a painful rake not seen but heard and not given, a quick free quick from the wrong place leading to goal, a soft yellow for a player with champions league experience! The whole package was - argh! Normally I have 2-3 decisions a game I would question, maybe soft or missed... but here I am over 10 well, mistakes. The second game was better, and I already tried to cut down on the mixed signals but I started with a bad foul decision which of course made match control an uphill battle. In the end, in these two games I was not a smart referee. Picture me, 5 mins in, trying to get an offside IDFK taken a few m closer to the active point, 20 m from the AR's flag... totally pointless... wrong battle, in front of the promotion committee! Nooo!

Other little things, how to head off players for warnings/sanctions by predicting where they will retreat.
Even though I anticipate and move a lot, fast, there are still some times when I pause as e.g. the shallow ball is played when I should take an extra 10m run.

But back to the positives... I don't think vASS would have necessarily helped me after 2-3 years as I didn't have it remotely together. But now, in year 6, I have the tools let's say, and it has helped me understand how I need to focus and calmly do one thing at a time - and not overly interfere. It's like, in the last few years, communication with players has grown and grown and been the thing - but now it's too much. Leave them alone until you have to.

The video showed how I was, well, too droning - I was active in too constant a way - so when I did need to do something sharp, stage a warning or interfere it wasn't an effective peak. I also don't do the peaks sharp enough - not enough edge in the body language etc at the right time. I'm naturally a shy lank and feel 10 years younger and more naive than the players even though I'm 10 years older most of the time - so I'm method acting!

So yeah... awesome but approach with caution!
Just echoing appreciation of your self assessment. It's easy to announce good experiences from the roof tops, not so many are so open when things go awry

Just echoing appreciation of your self assessment. It's easy to announce good experiences from the roof tops, not so many are so open when things go awry
It's actually ruined my week! I've been a right moody trollop!
But I know the guys have seen enough poor games and enough of me to know I can (and do) do better.

One interesting aspect was the difference between the two assessors. I kinda new this, but like a lot of things, it was more pronounced with video:

Assessor #1 - has held senior positions in the ref org, still does loads of games at all different levels, is very much a game manager. All about smart refereeing. Has no interest in taking an IDFK from the textbook position, and preaches minimal interference. I've flagged for him lots and I've never seen any dissent. He's slight, fit, poker face, calm, unspectacular, rarely rises to any game bait and looks for the same in us.

#2 - younger guy on the way up, may well reach the top flight, experiences dissent, all about making the difficult decisions and "advanced" handling of difficult players. More sympathetic to pedantic decisions and focused on the use of the right "tools" so you don't even have to "sell" anything.

Not quite representative of the two extremes of Ref Chat! but not far off.

Back