A&H

First Year Open Age Promotion?

Kieran W

I'm currently level 7 and been refereeing up to U18 level for the past 4 seasons but want to start in open age football from next season, however, obviously, the promotion season starts in March so I need to decide now really.

I've done a couple of adult matches in the middle in this time and a few as an assistant so what do people think about going for 7-6 in my first full season at open age?

P.S. And just as an aside, would a double jump 7-5 be totally out of the question?

The Referee Store
I don't think there's necessarily a huge jump from U18 to open age, and I don't think there's anything to lose by going for it. Absolute worst case is you'll get an observer present to help you through your first season of OA.

7-5 is possible, but if you're not planning to start OA until the next season, you'll have a real job squeezing in the 20 games required for the 7-6 step by half way through the promotion season. Don't forget it's not a year to do 40 matches, you've basically got two 6 month promotion seasons, the first of which spans the summer break.

Absolute worst case is you'll get an observer present to help you through your first season of OA.

That's one of the things I want to gain from it. For reasons unknown to me, I've never once been observed, mentored or coached since my course. Club marks have been among the highest in the leagues I do but the only feedback I've ever had is from coaches or league officials which isn't always very constructive, so having an observers advice I think would certainly be beneficial.

That's one of the things I want to gain from it. For reasons unknown to me, I've never once been observed, mentored or coached since my course. Club marks have been among the highest in the leagues I do but the only feedback I've ever had is from coaches or league officials which isn't always very constructive, so having an observers advice I think would certainly be beneficial.
Exactly, it's the reason I'd encourage every referee out there to do 7-6 at least. Neutral feedback is hard to come by, promotion gives you both that and a degree of progression you don't get elsewhere.

Absolutely no harm in applying. It shouldn't be a question of am I capable of it? It should be more looked at, what can I learn from it? If you are successful then you are promoted, but regardless, you will learn a lot.

@Kieran W - If you are eligible, then go for it. At worse, you will be assessed and learn what your development areas are.

P.S. And just as an aside, would a double jump 7-5 be totally out of the question?
Given your lack of OA football to date, I would not recommend this for you, maybe too much pressure. But definitely too many matches, given that some counties (NRCFA) require you to do 20 middles and 10 assistants (on a Saturday) in each step.

I'd definitely go for it mate, I was in a very similar situation to you last season. Done a few OA Sunday league games and a lot of U15-U18. I did my first Saturday afternoon game in September of last year, was observed and got an above standard. If you've got the experience of a few years refereeing and have nailed the basics, especially of AoL, it won't be too difficult at all. I'd personally suggest doing 7-6, 40 promotion qualifying games in a promotion season is a lot. When you account for fixtures called off, you'd need to be available most Saturday's and Sunday's all year round to referee.

I say go for it.

I went straight into open age and appli d for promotion at the end of my first season.

Getting observed improved my refereeing much more than anything else.

Having an independent person there to give you objective feedback is great, but I suspect I may be in the minority as I look forward to observations.

I'd say go for it. 7-6 isn't that hard. Its 3 (I think) competencies that you are assessed against. There is no real downside, upsides are:

1) You'll get some better games
2) You'll get observed at least 3 times so will get some great feedback on development areas
3) Certainly down this way you also get added to the AR Panel for the local supply league - the games don't count until 6-5, however going out with L4 referees and working as a team of 3 will help immensely - my own game improved massively by doing the Supply league line

As for 7-5 - personally I don't like the double jump. I think the emphasis becomes on getting promoted as quickly as possible and not focusing on the learnings and gaining the in match experience the comes with taking things a bit slower. In my view the County FA levels (9-5) are like the foundations of a house, you should take the time to get those solid.

A colleague of mine is a L4 now, when he went from 6-5 he was really disappointed that the county FA recommended he have 1 year at L5, before applying 5-4. If I speak to him now, he says its the best thing that ever happened to him, because he learnt so much in his 1 year at L5, that enabled him to be successful not just going 5-4, but at the level he's at now and hopefully beyond.

You’ve a bit of experience now, give it a go, see what’s required, certainly beats the ones who are totally wet behind the ears and think that they’re Howard Webb....

I would encourage any ref to go through the promotion process. It opens up a more structured support network with Observers and development sessions available. Speak to your RDO. I know in Kent the criteria is to have refereed 20 games in OA football before applying for promotion. And as @Justylove mentioned I think steady progress is more practical to improving than double-jumping. The pressure to get games in can affect your games as one game just snowballs into the next. I chose to do 7-6 and then 6-5. It allowed me to take a break where needed for holidays or injuries without stressing about getting games in. Good luck.

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I've attached this year's promotion criteria which doesn't mention anything about previous OA experience from what I can tell so I think that I'm eligible; will check with my RDO tomorrow

Attachments

• Promotion Criteria Level 7-6.pdf
    247.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I've attached this year's promotion criteria which doesn't mention anything about previous OA experience from what I can tell so I think that I'm eligible; will check with my RDO tomorrow

Forget all that, if you can tie your own shoelaces and have a pulse then you're as good as through!:devil:

Forget all that, if you can tie your own shoelaces and have a pulse then you're as good as through!:devil:

You forgot going to ground where you are being observed. It is difficult (but not impossible) to provide an observation you haven't seen....

Back