A&H

Fitness to start with

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Just a quick question, starting at the bottom of the ladder I'm wondering how fit I need to be to be competent in my first few games.

I understand this is difficult to quantify, but an idea of what I need to be doing would be great.

I am carrying more timber than I would like and am not the fittest so have already decided I need to dig in to get myself moving in the right direction :eek:

The Referee Store
Its difficult to say, but in the beginning, I always aimed for as fit as I was as a player, then a little bit more.

Remember that in theory you should be running for longer/higher intensity than any player :p

You know when you see players having a breather or going down with an "injury" such as cramp - refs don't get to do that. :)

are you starting with adults or youth football?

Regal , you may well find yourself running round like a headless chicken for half a season , the more games you get through..... the better the positioning will become so you will be almost where you need to be before the ball is played

just get as close as you can

and if you miles away from a call , delay your whistle a second or 2 , so when players here it and look round your right on the money.....

But not in assessments ....:D

Thanks guys.

If I was as fit as I was as a player plus a little bit I still wouldn't be anywhere near fit enough!:p

Guess I'll have to devise myself some kind of schedule, not easy working 14 hours a day 5 days a week, some Saturday's and having two young kids though!:poop::poop:

Just ease into any fitness regime or end up with injury problems.

Rest days are as important as training days.

If I was as fit as player I would still be one ....lol

In fact..................... I wasn't even as fit as a player.... when I was a player !!!

i have 2 weeks til my first game - so start training tonight! should be ok in a fortnight to be fair

then have 2 weekends off due to work so by the time the 2nd game comes round thatll be a month of fitness passed

I take satisfaction from sprinting past midfielders on fast breaks towards the end of games. :)

Little things please little minds I guess
Is it little things please little minds ? or is all this running past midfielders at the end of games only in your mind ;)

Granted ill give you the young ish part ....and the proof that you actually are a referee ....

but there is not one iota of evidence to prove you ran past anyone in the final minutes of the match as imagined in your previous post ?

The jury is still out on this one, and looking at the age of the players involved ?

you may be in need of some mild therapy :eek:

@Ross That's what my wife said as she almost wet herself laughing. :D

@Beezer - ha! You are right I can't prove it but it's still true. Sometimes. I don't remember it happening last night to be honest.

How fit? Tracker shows I about 7 to 10 km a fame. So say 8.5 km average in 90 mins makes for around the 5.5 kph. Obviously that not a constant but still.

10k? Jesus wept, I barely run 10k a year and that includes running after the sandwich van at work! ;)

I tend to average about 9 km - obviously alters up and down with pitch size and level of the game.

Back