A&H

Fitness Watch Tat

Also, key for any GPS is the number of satellites available for it to connect to. Normally plenty over the UK but some are occasionally 'down'.

The Referee Store
Premier sunshine in Sheffield at the moment although I've heard there are a few dark clouds over Leeds just at the moment. :)

Many people quote distance covered in games, it’s become a thing! Point being, spending loads doesn’t seem to add more accurately!

I've also heard that GPS isn't as accurate when you are running like a soccer referee as opposed to going on an out and back run or a loop run. GPS has a harder time tracking the types of movements that we do as officials. Still, I do find it somewhat useful to see my coverage map (usually a satellite photo) with my coverage map that my Garmin provides. Now I do think the "Sports-bra" type GPS trackers are more accurate for soccer, which is why teams and top-level officials wear those instead of using GPS watches to track their fitness. I attended a U19 MLS Academy game on Saturday while my son was participating in an event related to Sporting Kansas City. Even the academy players were wearing the trackers made by Stat Sports.

I've also heard that GPS isn't as accurate when you are running like a soccer referee as opposed to going on an out and back run or a loop run. GPS has a harder time tracking the types of movements that we do as officials. Still, I do find it somewhat useful to see my coverage map (usually a satellite photo) with my coverage map that my Garmin provides. Now I do think the "Sports-bra" type GPS trackers are more accurate for soccer, which is why teams and top-level officials wear those instead of using GPS watches to track their fitness. I attended a U19 MLS Academy game on Saturday while my son was participating in an event related to Sporting Kansas City. Even the academy players were wearing the trackers made by Stat Sports.

That's correct, although it depends on the sample rate for the GPS. Some take a reading every 5 seconds and then try to work out a straight line, and for a referee that is likely to be wrong. But some, like the v800, can be set to take a reading every second so that is likely to be much more accurate.

That and the LOTG prevents the wearing of watches so the vest alternative is the only viable solution

That and the LOTG prevents the wearing of watches so the vest alternative is the only viable solution

Very true. I get that players can't wear watches. I should have written that for many of us, we don't necessarily need the same type of trackers that the players wear. It would be interesting to me to see if I'm spending too much time in the middle of the field (I get feedback on that in some of my higher-level games), but for now my Garmin at least gives me a clue of how I'm covering the field.

Back