A&H

Fk in defending box...

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Am watching Celtic v Hamilton......co pundit is Tom Boyd, prev of the Wide Awake Club, and also Celtic, Chelsea and 70 odd caps for Scotland

Upon the ref pulling back a free kick which has not left the box, Boyd was all over it..."why, its not a goal kick" and "is that a new rule?" when commentator advised him what the procedure was

It does seem to be this rule from top to bottom level players is the most unknown one!!

Boyd was since called the ref "petty" over a foul and "should let it flow".. aye maybe so but least he knows the LOTG !!!!

The Referee Store
Had this and more in a U19s game last week. Gave a free kick for foul on the goalkeeper round about the penalty spot. Defender touched it about a yard to the side where the goalkeeper picked the ball up!!!

I think it is for both, so that the team taking the GK/FK can't get out of a tight spot by stepping into the area to get the ball and getting a retake.

I don't think that is the motivation at all. I think the motivation is to just get the ball in play more quickly. If the team taking the kick can pass it to itself inside the PA with the opponents outside, that is accomplished. In high level soccer the retakes on this are almost always due to sloppiness or lack of awareness, not to tactical choices by the team taking the kick. (And in lower levels due to over eagerness.)

When are the attackers going to be allowed into the penalty area?

We'll know if and when the change is adopted. I would assume that only the team taking the kick would be able to be first to play the ball inside the PA, but we won't know until they actually pass the change. (Letting opponents enter as soon as the ball is kicked and steal the ball would not be a big deal for adult soccer, but could be an issue for younger youth levels.)

Back