A&H

Flagging procedure for offside in own half

The Monk

Level 5 Referee
Hey guys.
What's the correct procedure when flagging for the attacker becoming offside in his own half.
Is it you stay level with the second last defender until he touches the ball/opponent, you then make your way to the half way line raise your flag, then when the referee see's you do the windscreen wiper signal and drop the flag. From then he takes over.

The Referee Store
Personally I have not any guidance yet as our season is half way and we will continue with the old laws.

But, I do not think we will be running to the half way line. Theoretically since the active/inactive law an AR has not necessarily flagged at the horizontal location of the offence. Last season if you were up with the ball and the player became 10 yards behind you would not run back 10 yards to flag. You flag and it is the referee's task to ensure the kick is taken from the correct position.

So, I think nothing has changed. You keep up with the second last defender/ball and flag - where you are - when a player becomes active and commits the offside offence.

Personally I have not any guidance yet as our season is half way and we will continue with the old laws.

But, I do not think we will be running to the half way line. Theoretically since the active/inactive law an AR has not necessarily flagged at the horizontal location of the offence. Last season if you were up with the ball and the player became 10 yards behind you would not run back 10 yards to flag. You flag and it is the referee's task to ensure the kick is taken from the correct position.

So, I think nothing has changed. You keep up with the second last defender/ball and flag - where you are - when a player becomes active and commits the offside offence.

that for me makes sense, thereby if the ref signals for you to drop the flag you aren't out of position.... just seems logical to me rather than having been told that, just to clarify

The PGMOL sent this out to their officials at the start of the week.

Attachments

• Process for OS in other half.pdf
    797 KB · Views: 128
The PGMOL sent this out to their officials at the start of the week.
Useful info but not much good if you aren't a PGMOL official and/or don't frequent this site. Where is the IFAB in all this? Surely they should have released something to provide guidance on this situation. For instance, as PinnerPaul alludes to, what are officials who don't have a communications system supposed to do?

Useful info but not much good if you aren't a PGMOL official and/or don't frequent this site. Where is the IFAB in all this? Surely they should have released something to provide guidance on this situation. For instance, as PinnerPaul alludes to, what are officials who don't have a communications system supposed to do?
I've checked with my RDO (who happens to be an ex World Cup final AR :)) and he's advised simply going to the halfway line, raising the flag and then making the, now well understood, 'windscreen wiper' signal with your left hand to indicate a player coming back from an offside position. He also advised not indicating the position within the pitch (ie near, middle, far) but just leaving it to the referee to ensure that the kick is taken from where the offending player became active.

So, pretty clear, but would, as you say Peter, be helpful if this advice was more broadly / consistently circulated

Just waiting for the first goal in a major competition from a FK for offside well into offside player's own half then they'll change the rule so that the FK is taken on the halfway line.

I have my first competitive game this Saturday and I now know what this is about. I'll be having a chat with my ARs before then so that we're all clear on this. :eek:

So the consensus is that for a offside in the "other" half where we don't have comms:

* Flag up only, no near/middle/far indication at all (wheras this is retained if the AR can be in line with the offence location?)
* Windscreen wiper gesture
* Only move to the half-way line if there is some confusion or the decision needs to be "sold"?

I think that's kind of tidy? The lack of a near/middle/far indication should suggest something weird is going on?

I think without comms you really need to be moving to the halfway line, otherwise you are relying on the referee realising that the free kick needs to be in the attacking half.

Back