A&H

football refereeing changed my life for the better

The Referee Store
I realised very quickly that refereeing was giving me a 'Personal Development Plan'. I'm brushing off confrontation more easily away from the game and communicating more effectively in the workplace
The article alludes to something I think is true. Promotion is largely about learning to do much the same thing, only in progressively more demanding settings. I think a Level 7 should have roughly the same competencies as SG1 (despite fabricated LOTG interpretations and hidden meaning), but the beginner would likely crumple in front of a crowd or two demanding teams. At all levels, it's apparent that a key skill involves letting all the noise and distraction slide off, something that must be so tough as one progresses
12km average is interesting. I'm yet to conquer 9 🐌

I realised very quickly that refereeing was giving me a 'Personal Development Plan'. I'm brushing off confrontation more easily away from the game and communicating more effectively in the workplace
The article alludes to something I think is true. Promotion is largely about learning to do much the same thing, only in progressively more demanding settings. I think a Level 7 should have roughly the same competencies as SG1 (despite fabricated LOTG interpretations and hidden meaning), but the beginner would likely crumple in front of a crowd or two demanding teams. At all levels, it's apparent that a key skill involves letting all the noise and distraction slide off, something that must be so tough as one progresses
I did 9.5k once, I’d struggle to do 9.5 yards this weekend, bout of sciatica... ouch 😢

Yes I think most of us can relate to it. For me it's not just in my personal life, it has significantly helped me in my professional life too. Especially on how to manage and deal with difficult clients.

It’s true that thIs profession teaches you leadership and being a safe pair of hands in a crisis. To keep your cool whilst all around you are losing theirs!

Ironically I recently saw an old retired captain from a team that were a massive challenge 15 years ago, learning to referee boisterous f£&@wits became my forte and it was a steep learning curve... I made a joke to his wife that it was good someone else had took up his care on a Saturday! 😂

Reactions: one
Great read and thanks for sharing. Whether you are grassroots or premier league, refereeing will help you become a better human and it takes balls to make the calls that we make. Only referees know this and why we are a team no matter where we come from and what level we are at. You have my back and I have yours!. Mahalo!

Back