A&H

Foul recognition when challenging for a header

JH

RefChat Addict
I often find it difficult to be consistent in when a player is fouling/being fouled when challenging for a header. I notice this more when I'm AR and watching other referees and the 'fouls' they punish. A prime example is a player NOT jumping to challenge and a player going over the top of them, I've seen this given both ways.

Is there a simplified way to look at these fouls or any specific things I should be looking for?

The Referee Store
I posted about similar recently... By coincidence we had a classroom session the other day and I was reminded about:

Arm as a tool = YC
Arm as a weapon = RC

I know that doesn't solve the basic recognition conundrum;)

(If you think a player not jumping is a careless challenge - or worse - then blow for it. )

I posted about similar recently... By coincidence we had a classroom session the other day and I was reminded about:

Arm as a tool = YC
Arm as a weapon = RC

I know that doesn't solve the basic recognition conundrum;)

(If you think a player not jumping is a careless challenge - or worse - then blow for it. )

I don't remember where I read this (or heard it) but it might help to think of it in a similar fashion to how you are looking at recognising SFP challenges. Is the arm extended or not? Jumping/leading in with force. etc might be some useful pointers in recognising the severity of the challenge and ultimately the disciplinary sanction to follow.

I was always told to look at the player's hand. If he has a clenched first it is more likely to be intentional, whereas an open hand is more likely to be accidental. Not an exact science by any means though.

A prime example is a player NOT jumping to challenge and a player going over the top of them, I've seen this given both ways.

This is a very good question, and I struggle with it as well.

I give those against the player not jumping. Playing in a dangerous manner for me.

Exceptions are where I can see the player jumping is climbing on top of the player who doesn't jump, thereby preventing him from jumping. Being side-on will help identify which comes first, the player ducking or the player climbing over him.

I try to establish “possession”. If one player is jumping while having great focus on the ball and the other player looks away from the ball, then the foul goes against the one looking away, which is typically toward the other player. Same goes if only one jumps.

Here is what I have seen. At issue is either a JUMPING foul or a TRIP/CHARGE foul. One thing that helps greatly is to position yourself to where you can see the area of the drop zone and see the space between the players. A player is entitled to their position on the field. A player is not required to jump to challenge. A player is entitle to jump in their position but not "jump at" another player. So ultimately, you need to be able to determine in your opinion:
  • if the player jumping, jumped into a stationary player who was maintaining there position waiting on the ball (foul on jumper),
  • did the jumping player hold the other player down or elevate themselves using the other player (holding),
  • or use an arm as a weapon/tool
  • did the stationary player move underneath an elevated jumping player undercutting them? (tripping)
  • If both are jumping at each other, this is probably a play on
If both players committed fouls are you going to play on or penalize one that was more severe?

Position is critical in making these judgments

Here is what I have seen. At issue is either a JUMPING foul or a TRIP/CHARGE foul. One thing that helps greatly is to position yourself to where you can see the area of the drop zone and see the space between the players. A player is entitled to their position on the field. A player is not required to jump to challenge. A player is entitle to jump in their position but not "jump at" another player. So ultimately, you need to be able to determine in your opinion:
  • if the player jumping, jumped into a stationary player who was maintaining there position waiting on the ball (foul on jumper),
  • did the jumping player hold the other player down or elevate themselves using the other player (holding),
  • or use an arm as a weapon/tool
  • did the stationary player move underneath an elevated jumping player undercutting them? (tripping)
  • If both are jumping at each other, this is probably a play on
If both players committed fouls are you going to play on or penalize one that was more severe?

Position is critical in making these judgments
Good analysis. I would add a couple of things. You can jump at, trip or charge an opponent legally if its not careless or above. You as a referee determine what constitutes careless using the lotg guidelines.

Although I know what you mean, I wouldn't use 'position' to describe it. You can still be careless while jumping in your own position or be careful while "jumping at" an opponent. Position is only one of many considerations.

Hard to put this in words what needs doing for each different challenge. Others have had a good try but it was always a gut feeling for me on who was worse in his action to warrant a foul call! Sometimes they are both as bad as each other!

Good analysis. I would add a couple of things. You can jump at, trip or charge an opponent legally if its not careless or above. You as a referee determine what constitutes careless using the lotg guidelines.

Although I know what you mean, I wouldn't use 'position' to describe it. You can still be careless while jumping in your own position or be careful while "jumping at" an opponent. Position is only one of many considerations.
I'm not totally sure how you can be careless while jumping on the spot? You can flail with your arms or hold the opponent, or deliberately jump under someone in order to trip them, but I don't see how a "pure" jumping offence can be committed by a player who's jumping on the spot?

Had one yesterday I should have given. Great jumps by both players, especially by defender who got up earlier and higher... But put both hands on the attacker's shoulders mid-jump. It was athletic and a great header but it looked a foul and I got conflicted thinking whether the hands had any effect. I ignored the striker's appeal. I was wrong on that one.

I'm not totally sure how you can be careless while jumping on the spot? You can flail with your arms or hold the opponent, or deliberately jump under someone in order to trip them, but I don't see how a "pure" jumping offence can be committed by a player who's jumping on the spot?
I'd have to agree this would be difficult to imagine. Maybe a 5 foot player jumping late into the hands of 6.5 foot keeper who just caught the ball above his head?

Back