• Depends on the game

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Afternoon all.

Just hoping to scope what people on the whole tend to do re. cards in friendly matches. I am slightly boring and I do put them all through, albeit, I do tend to give far less in friendly games!!

The Referee Store
Afternoon all.

Just hoping to scope what people on the whole tend to do re. cards in friendly matches. I am slightly boring and I do put them all through, albeit, I do tend to give far less in friendly games!!
As Anubis said let the CFA decide.

If you don't bother that team will remember next time you ref them.

My option is not listed...
Don't do friendlies

I sent a player off in one game for soiling me and couldn't find either the team or the player in the system. Admittedly, somewhat unusual, but I'd rather go for a run than run the gauntlet of unregistered teams and the awkward expectations of these games
Seriously though, I'm very very selective when it comes to 'Friendly Middles' to the point that it's more likely than not that I won't do any
I do however value practising the technicalities of Assisting on Friendies

Last edited:
If I issue a card it gets submitted.

My tolerance is much higher pre season and I’ll *try* to manage as much as possible but if someone is stupid enough to still get booked then they are absolutely facing the consequences!

My option is also not listed. Depends on the comp rules. Though not this year I often referee different comp with different rules. Most of them don't want yellow reported but do want Reds reported.

My option is also not listed. Depends on the comp rules. Though not this year I often referee different comp with different rules. Most of them don't want yellow reported but do want Reds reported.
In England, competition rules have to be approved by the County FA, and in 11-a-side matches it would be most unusual to allow the rules to over-ride the LOTG.

I used the term 'comp rules' loosely. Friendlies are no part of the standard competition and comp rules are not applied strictly in friendlies. The examples are ground requirements, substitution requirements or even player registration requirements. Most friendly games requirement (or lack of) are either informal communications or circulars. At least that is what happens here.

I’ve only had one friendly so far this pre-season but we had 3 yellows and a sin bin for good measure - and I was more lenient than usual.

Yes there was the odd “is that going through, ref?” at the end, but no major complaints. If they don’t want a ref at Sunday league level pre-season, they don’t have to book one. But they did, so I assume they want the full package, cards and all.

County FAs could always not fine players, make all cautions sin bins, or donate fines to charity preseason?

Grassroots friendlies already diverge from most comp rules. Ad-hoc drink breaks, rolling subs, more subs than standard, suspensions that only count for other friendlies, (unregistered?) trialists

County FAs could always not fine players, make all cautions sin bins, or donate fines to charity preseason?

Grassroots friendlies already diverge from most comp rules. Ad-hoc drink breaks, rolling subs, more subs than standard, suspensions that only count for other friendlies, (unregistered?) trialists

All of those things are defined by competition rules, not the LoTG. Cards are different, they are part of LoTG and not defined by competition rules.

It is like a "debate" I had with a referee on another platform who said that if he wasn't given team sheets in a friendly he would go home. Team sheets are required by competition rules, which don't exist in a friendly, but he wasn't having it. If I was a manager at such a game I would thank him for turning up and suggest he goes home then, and he wouldn't be getting paid.

Back