A&H

Fulham v Liverpool

The Referee Store
I'm not having this conversation again.
Conceding a penalty is not stopping an attack.
With all due respect me and you have never had this conversation.

stopping a promising attack in the box with no attempt to play the ball would result in a yellow card. Handling would fall under this bracket. This would also be the case for anything other than handling.

Reactions: es1
I'm not having this conversation again.
Conceding a penalty is not stopping an attack.
Your reasoning is perfectly sound, but the book mandates a card
On the Ladder (or under Observation), I'm with the book; at grass-roots, possibly not, depending on circumstances

Sometimes the book leads to entirely the wrong outcome. Like last night's red card and dismissal for Fulham. By the book, but otherwise plain wrong

Last edited:
I find the SPA handball caution when a penalty is awarded contradictory to the spa-advantage (or QFK after SPA) law.

If you play advantage for a handball that interferes with a promising attack, or stops it but you allow a QFK to continue a new promising attack then no caution is required.

Now a handball in the area stops a promising attack but creates a obvious goal scoring opportunity, even better than a promising attack, yet you'd have to issue a caution.

Your reasoning is perfectly sound, but the book mandates a card
On the Ladder (or under Observation), I'm with the book; at grass-roots, possibly not, depending on circumstances

Sometimes the book leads to entirely the wrong outcome. Like last night's red card and dismissal for Fulham. By the book, but otherwise plain wrong
What was remotely wrong about it?

What was remotely wrong about it?
The more significant contact was the pull outside the box. Everything else was a consequence of that initial tug. The contact on the PA line was trivial and was caused by natural running action. Graham Scott was perfectly entitled to hit Fulham with the double-whammy, but it simply wasn't deserved
To the South West of the Stadium, Saturn and Jupiter were in alignment and The Star of Bethlehem brought a fortunate gift to the Geordies ✨

The more significant contact was the pull outside the box. Everything else was a consequence of that initial tug. The contact on the PA line was trivial and was caused by natural running action. Graham Scott was perfectly entitled to hit Fulham with the double-whammy, but it simply wasn't deserved
To the South West of the Stadium, Saturn and Jupiter were in alignment and The Star of Bethlehem brought a fortunate gift to the Geordies ✨
Everything else was a consequence? So the foul continued into the box? So it’s a penalty and red card.

Everything else was a consequence? So the foul continued into the box? So it’s a penalty and red card.
Fouls that occur outside the PA do just that. There's no notion of continuing into the PA, with the exception of pulling

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I've conceded that Scott did nothing wrong. I'd have given a FK for the initial contact and a dismissal.
I'm merely pointing out that I thought Fulham were very unfortunate victims of the rules; which happens sometimes
PK & Dismissal is known to kill games. IFAB have tried to mitigate this outcome, but they can't realistically rule on every nuance
Purely from a sporting perspective, I don't think this outcome was 'fair'

Fouls that occur outside the PA do just that. There's no notion of continuing into the PA, with the exception of pulling

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I've conceded that Scott did nothing wrong. I'd have given a FK for the initial contact and a dismissal.
I'm merely pointing out that I thought Fulham were very unfortunate victims of the rules; which happens sometimes
PK & Dismissal is known to kill games. IFAB have tried to mitigate this outcome, but they can't realistically rule on every nuance
Purely from a sporting perspective, I don't think this outcome was 'fair'
But I think IFAB have been fair - he attempted to pull an opponent down to stop him being one-on-one, how is that ‘unfair?’

The Liverpool penalty is clear, the defender jumps with his arm up and it hits it. No debate at all under the current laws, these days if you are in the wall and are worried about the ball hitting you in the face you really need to speak to your manager and ask not to be in the wall.
Everyone should be worried about being hit on the head by a ball travelling at 80 mph.

Back