A&H

Full time

The Referee Store
This incident seems to have started a fierce "debate" on fb, similar to the one on here last year after the Accrington game.

Correct to the letter of the law? Guess only the referee will be the only one to ever know if he played the correct amount of time including stoppages etc, however "spirit of the game" and common sense appears to have been thrown straight out the window. Have referees learned nothing from the Clive Thomas incident all those years ago?

Incident from a different angle...

Last edited:
I have actually done this in a league match last season and on a corner..... ball comes over gets kicked out by defender, i looked at my watch and 90 mins up as i put the whistle to my mouth and am blowing it a player thunderbolts it into the bottom corner, and the only player that complains is the kicker i say " 90 minutes up and i blow the whistle no goal"
Would i have blown it as it comes over and falls to an attacker and he hits it (prob going to be a goal) yes i would... why would i "add time" on just to give a team an advantage to score a goal.... thus disadvantaging the defending team.

Meh, he blew the whistle before the shot was taken. Sick of the approach we all adopt to this (myself included). If FIFA want us to play out the last attack, write it into the LOTG and be done with it.
Anyway, many games I referee on have strict instructions to not have stoppage time (whether that's permissible or not is another debate) due to tight scheduling. Therefore, I would have absolutely no qualms blowing the whistle even after the shot is taken - and I have done so leading to a denied goal. To do otherwise is unfair to the defenders. Don't care if I'm going to get abused for it - not going to screw a team over to make my afternoon easier.
When there is stoppage though it's more complicated because stoppage time is only an estimation - it's highly inaccurate, so finding a few extra seconds can well be justified.

Meh, he blew the whistle before the shot was taken. Sick of the approach we all adopt to this (myself included). If FIFA want us to play out the last attack, write it into the LOTG and be done with it.
Anyway, many games I referee on have strict instructions to not have stoppage time (whether that's permissible or not is another debate) due to tight scheduling. Therefore, I would have absolutely no qualms blowing the whistle even after the shot is taken - and I have done so leading to a denied goal. To do otherwise is unfair to the defenders. Don't care if I'm going to get abused for it - not going to screw a team over to make my afternoon easier.
When there is stoppage though it's more complicated because stoppage time is only an estimation - it's highly inaccurate, so finding a few extra seconds can well be justified.

Not sure how you can say this would be "screwing a team over", there is a strong argument to say that you are screwing the other team over by disallowing the goal. The LOTG are quite clear on allowance of time lost and following these there would always be additional time. I understand that your league rules dont allow it which is completely going against the laws however as you said thats another debate.

The referee got this wrong IMO which then led to him having to dismiss the goalkeeper who was understandably livid (not that i condone the way he has gone about it as he must have committed OFFIANBUS). Not good.

There is an argument that the whistle is blwn the defending side stop playing. an example which we will all be familiar with is you blow for a foul, defenders stop then an attacker decides to get on the ball weave through and throw his arms about thatv you've blown for the foul and not given an advantage when in fact when you blew there was no advantage to give and everybody else has stopped playing. That bei g said the keeper seems to make an effort at saving it.

Not sure how you can say this would be "screwing a team over", there is a strong argument to say that you are screwing the other team over by disallowing the goal. .
No there isn't. It's 45min. Not 45min 02s. That's pretty easy.
Anyway, I do think all this stuff is handled so badly in the LOTG.

The referee got this wrong IMO which then led to him having to dismiss the goalkeeper who was understandably livid (not that i condone the way he has gone about it as he must have committed OFFIANBUS). Not good.
I think this is all a bit harsh on the ref - I suspect time was up before or shortly after the corner was taken; he allowed the corner, the shot from the clearance and when that shot was blocked he blew his whistle - no real way that he could have know that the clearance would fall to a player who would score an unbelievable goal. Not really anything like the Clive Thomas incident either who blew as the ball was heading into the goal from a header direct from the corner, in this incident the ref has given Whitehawk two goes and then blown.

No there isn't. It's 45min. Not 45min 02s. That's pretty easy.
Anyway, I do think all this stuff is handled so badly in the LOTG.

No its 45 minutes with an allowance made by the referee for time lost in that half. Thats pretty easy.

How is that handled badly, i dont think it can be much clearer?

Well, the Clive Churchill case is a good example. In fact, a perfect example.
The fact that there's this 'expectation' of 'neutral territory' despite it being wholly unsupported in law is an example of how the LOTG aren't matching up with what FIFA actually expect.
To follow on from the Clive Churchill case, imagine if there's a ceremonial FK just outside the PA and time's up....how many referee's would still take the kick, despite the LOTG clearly stating that only a PK has extended time?

That and the guidance on stoppage time is extremely vague.

Last edited:
I do not " add time" on (apart from penalty scenario) i stop the watch on substitutions/injuries/time wasting etc. so my watch will indicate when that 45 minutes/90 minutes is up.

I do not " add time" on (apart from penalty scenario) i stop the watch on substitutions/injuries/time wasting etc. so my watch will indicate when that 45 minutes/90 minutes is up.
Which is fine, my argument was that a half of football will never simply be 45 minutes long. When they looked into certain Premier League games they found that on average the ball was in play for 55 minutes, bring that down to grass roots and you can take even more time off that.

** For the record i am not trying to argue that we should have 35 minutes of added time :D:D:D

Maybe it's just me, but don't understand the concept of leagues instructing referees not to allow stoppage time. Surely this is a green light and open season for blatant time wasting?

The only time I have ever been asked to keep added on time to a minimum if possible was at a mini-soccer style tournament I did during the summer due to very tight scheduling.

and as you know, stoppage time is the "minimum" we are going to allow, so, as in this case, no one can ever say you played 3 seconds too much, but plenty are going to say you played 2 seconds too little!

My own opinion on the watch stopping is that for whatever brief time you are glancing at your watch you are not looking at the field of play. All sorts of grief could occur at these times- I just tell players it's being added on, There is also the chance of forgetting to start again or the big daddy - resetting it. Been there, not repeating it thanks.

Whether you stop the clock or keep it running is both semantics and preference based on the watch design you have.
I'm not adding time on! I'm keeping the clock running! who cares? Same thing.

Many watches have a timer and a stopwatch, count up and down simultaneously. So 'stopping' only stops one of them, protecting yourself from forgetting to restart (same reason many wear 2 watches).

Back