A&H

Junior/Youth Funny Coin Toss

Kieran W

So, minutes silence done and both captains come in for the toss. Handshakes done. Coin tossed into air by myself, away captain calls in air. All good, until I look down at the floor, where the coin has landed sideways on in the ground. Doh!

Coin toss retaken and blues win.
Me: "Choice of ends, captain"
Blue Captain: "We'll have kick"
Me: "No, you have choice of ends"
Blue Captain: "Oh, we'll stay this end"

I think it was his first game as captain.

The Referee Store
I was a NAR a couple of weeks back and witnessing the toss. The ref gave the coin to the home team captain who proceeded to toss it a little too vigorously. As it shot passed the head of the away team captain, the away captain instinctively reached out a hand and calm as a cucumber caught it while saying heads.

Made me laugh.

I was a NAR a couple of weeks back and witnessing the toss. The ref gave the coin to the home team captain who proceeded to toss it a little too vigorously. As it shot passed the head of the away team captain, the away captain instinctively reached out a hand and calm as a cucumber caught it while saying heads.

Made me laugh.

Don't tell me he won the toss as well?

I have partaken in an invisible coin toss twice ....ie forgot my coin as have both my NARs (very unprofessional on their part I agree ) :D

called captains in and suddenly realised

anyway asked captain to call , went ahead and tossed said pretend coin , caught it , private look "HEADS IT IS " back in pocket , choose ends captain !

No one noticed either time much to the amusment of my very shoddy assistants :)

Thinking on your feet SM , try it, it works , much better than picking up grass and saying left or right :)

Reactions: SM
So, minutes silence done and both captains come in for the toss. Handshakes done. Coin tossed into air by myself, away captain calls in air. All good, until I look down at the floor, where the coin has landed sideways on in the ground. Doh!

Coin toss retaken and blues win.
Me: "Choice of ends, captain"
Blue Captain: "We'll have kick"
Me: "No, you have choice of ends"
Blue Captain: "Oh, we'll stay this end"

I think it was his first game as captain.
Two schools of thought on the coin toss.

First is that you don't let the players take control and you control this first interaction with them out on the field. You toss the coin and they call. Now to add to this, you shouldn't let the coin fall to the ground because when you bend over to pick it up, you place your head below their waist level and into a potentially vulnerable position.

Second is that you ask one of the captains to toss the coin while the other calls. You make a point of telling the person tossing the coin to catch it. If it does fall to the ground you ask them to pick it up and toss the coin again. By doing that you have the opportunity to exercise control while not losing your dignity scrambling about on the ground for your coin.

Not just new captains at grass roots who don't know the law. Former England captain and MOTD expert Gary Lineker says in this article from The Guardian when discussing the next England captain:

"Football ain’t cricket, where the captain’s role is all-encompassing. Our man gets to call heads or tails and if he gets it right, can choose whether his side kicks off or plays in a certain direction in the first half. Any halfwit can manage that – yes, even a footballer."

I cant remember who it was but if memory serves me right it could have been Lee Mason, he went through the whole season without using a coin and went for the invisible coin toss method.

I cant remember who it was but if memory serves me right it could have been Lee Mason, he went through the whole season without using a coin and went for the invisible coin toss method.
Lol if you get rumbled doing it though? How do you explain that without looking like a some kind of crazy man?

You cant get rumbled SM its back in my pocket in a flash !!

I do card tricks in my pre match warm up :D:D

On another occasion , I blew up , called the captains in , one came in , I introduced myself and my team

when I looked over the other captain was standing on the sideline finishing his fag ....

I said to the present captain " well done you win , what end do you want "

the late captain ran over I said "unlucky lost the toss , your kick"

I cant be doing with all that on a Sunday Morning :mad:

Two schools of thought on the coin toss.

First is that you don't let the players take control and you control this first interaction with them out on the field. You toss the coin and they call. Now to add to this, you shouldn't let the coin fall to the ground because when you bend over to pick it up, you place your head below their waist level and into a potentially vulnerable position.

Second is that you ask one of the captains to toss the coin while the other calls. You make a point of telling the person tossing the coin to catch it. If it does fall to the ground you ask them to pick it up and toss the coin again. By doing that you have the opportunity to exercise control while not losing your dignity scrambling about on the ground for your coin.

Thanks, Brian. Good points you make. I like to do the toss myself but I'll catch it from now on.

Well said, Kieran.

At least some players occasionally acknowledge that we are t@ssers, too

Back