A&H

Get yer hands aff

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Common theme in the WC seems to be the pushing pulling in box pre corner kick
When we see this as referee, its common practise for us to delay the corner, then pull out the 5 and 9 or whoever, and then we spout some speel and sometimes point a few fingers.
Other than "keep your hands off" is there anything anybody says or does?

Mine, if I feel its the right place and time, I say to 5 " its a crowded box, if i see holding, dont get on my case if I think its you". And also to 9 " if i see holding, your going to cost your team a needless freekick"

Of course, if it happens and its not crystal, esp if officiating alone, I might take the easy way out and give it to the defender, but I have absolutley no qualms in giving the next maybe one to the attacker, and indeed a pk.

I do not like to see 90 mins of meaningless warnings, if you are going to try to be proactive in the first place, then have the strengh and conviction to act upon your warnings

The Referee Store
Seems like every corner in this WC has just been a wrestling match. I usually just say "stand your own ground and keep your arms to yourself".

I've heard some referees say something like "Cut it out, or I'll be giving a penalty, or a free kick" if I heard that as the attacking player I'd be quite incentivised to instigate a grapple with the defender.

Honestly, I'm guarded and don't say much. Although the assessors are probably looking for referees to coach the players out of infringements, words have a habit of being used against us. Don't say it, unless you're prepared to back 'it' up (which is exactly what the WC refs have not done, ask Harry)

I've heard some referees say something like "Cut it out, or I'll be giving a penalty, or a free kick" if I heard that as the attacking player I'd be quite incentivised to instigate a grapple with the defender.
Attackers don't really need to hear that from a ref with VAR in place. If they are fouled it can be reviewed for a pen, if they do the foul it can only be reviewed if a goal is scored. The balance is on their side.

Attackers don't really need to hear that from a ref with VAR in place. If they are fouled it can be reviewed for a pen, if they do the foul it can only be reviewed if a goal is scored. The balance is on their side.

For sure, Am talking more us mere mortals

I am proactive. I think probably half my penalties last season were given for pushing/pulling in the box. One team was stupid enough to do it twice in the same game.

The teams I referee'd frequently were quick to cut it out, so they know I clamp down on it. I'm not sure if others deal with it the same way though.

I dont seem to have a problem after my warning. Thats why I posted
Even just there, France game, thats 3 times he delayed a cross to warn players
Either my warning works, or, its still going on and I miss it
Either way, am def not still warning folk for the 3rd 4th time, so something is amiss

I usually say something along the lines of “lads, it’s great that you all get along so nice - but can we save holding each other’s hand until after the match!... keep your arms down - I’M WATCHING!!”
Usually they can’t get there hands off each other quick enough 🤣😂

I don't do this very often as I tend to find it puts you in a hole and is roughly as effective as referees are finding it at the world cup. But when I do get involved, it's something along the lines of "OK guys, as far as I'm concerned, you're entitled to hold your ground or run into empty space. If you try and move into a space an opponent's in, or try and use your hands to move them out of their space, I'll consider that a foul, so be careful"

Its like, dont hold. Oi, please dont hold. Oh, i asked you not to hold
Oh you held, ah well. Another 5 mins I get to look proactive again

In a way am begging for Mike Dean to make a guest apperance. Cant agree with a lot of what he does but I would doubt he would take so much cr@p

Timing I think. I usually say something at every corner. But it's usually just "remember, no holding" just before the kick.

And movement. If there's a player and the keeper obviously wanting to push each other I'll move to get their attention, maybe "keep it fair" or "no pushing". This is a big one because it makes it very easy to give a PK against the GK or the DFK the other way - as these are often the most blatant two handed push situations.

And problem players. I seek out the problem players, with eye contact and my position. But the higher the level the more dark artists there are to deal with!

But agreed, the approach in Russia is pointlessly counterproductive.

Common theme in the WC seems to be the pushing pulling in box pre corner kick
When we see this as referee, its common practise for us to delay the corner, then pull out the 5 and 9 or whoever, and then we spout some speel and sometimes point a few fingers.
Other than "keep your hands off" is there anything anybody says or does?

Mine, if I feel its the right place and time, I say to 5 " its a crowded box, if i see holding, dont get on my case if I think its you". And also to 9 " if i see holding, your going to cost your team a needless freekick"

Of course, if it happens and its not crystal, esp if officiating alone, I might take the easy way out and give it to the defender, but I have absolutley no qualms in giving the next maybe one to the attacker, and indeed a pk.

I do not like to see 90 mins of meaningless warnings, if you are going to try to be proactive in the first place, then have the strengh and conviction to act upon your warnings
I typically stare right at them (not the ball) prior to the kick and tell them something like "no holding or pushing gents. I'm watching" or "i'm watching. Don't give up a silly free kick so be smart". Normally they turn to look and see me staring right at all of them and it helps. This season I did award a PK and disallow a goal. The coach of the team who had it disallowed for holding the GK asked me about it (respectfully) and I told him "yeah, your number 9 turned right toward the keeper not playing the ball and held him. I had warned them on the previous kicks about it." No issues or complaints from players or coach. It helped that they had all heard or seen me talk to them prior to a kick.

Back