A&H

Giving offside for blocking line of sight

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
I gave an offside today for something I never thought a player would be so stupid to do. Free kick just outside the box for reds. Red attacker then decides to stand about a yard away from the goalkeeper, right in front of him. I expected him to run forward before the kick was taken and assumed it was some sort of tactic to stop the keeper setting his wall properly, but it turns out he was actually stupid enough to think he was allowed to stay there for the shot

I’ve decided to take position in line with the ball to check the eye line, and I couldn’t even see the keeper. Attacker takes the shot, it goes around the wall and the keeper tips it over, I immediately blow for offside (incredibly there was no flag from the CAR), cue arguments from several reds! I even got a handshake for a defending team player for spotting the offside.

Every game there’s a new surprise!

The Referee Store
I gave an offside today for something I never thought a player would be so stupid to do. Free kick just outside the box for reds. Red attacker then decides to stand about a yard away from the goalkeeper, right in front of him. I expected him to run forward before the kick was taken and assumed it was some sort of tactic to stop the keeper setting his wall properly, but it turns out he was actually stupid enough to think he was allowed to stay there for the shot

I’ve decided to take position in line with the ball to check the eye line, and I couldn’t even see the keeper. Attacker takes the shot, it goes around the wall and the keeper tips it over, I immediately blow for offside (incredibly there was no flag from the CAR), cue arguments from several reds! I even got a handshake for a defending team player for spotting the offside.

Every game there’s a new surprise!
Advice given in this situation is to take preventive measures and warn the attacker to move away as he is offside. All the more reason when you think he is doing it as tactic that could cause issues with the keeper. Say he moves away and a goal is scored and defender say the attacker interfered with setting up wall and you blew the whistle to early before they were set. They may be right or wrong but one less issue to deal with means a better game.

But well done for picking it up.

Advice given in this situation is to take preventive measures and warn the attacker to move away as he is offside. All the more reason when you think he is doing it as tactic that could cause issues with the keeper. Say he moves away and a goal is scored and defender say the attacker interfered with setting up wall and you blew the whistle to early before they were set. They may be right or wrong but one less issue to deal with means a better game.

But well done for picking it up.
That an interesting take. Preventative warnings for grappling and holding in this situation are fairly standard, but I've never heard of preventatively warning a player that he's offside.

That's an interesting take. Preventative warnings for grappling and holding in this situation are fairly standard, but I've never heard of preventatively warning a player that he's offside.
It wasn't something I'd seen too often before but if I recall correctly, we saw a few examples of it at free kicks in the last World Cup.

Back